Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

And then, during whole season Ferrari's engines prove to be most reliable, finish every race of the season and Ferrari snatches both titles in Abu Dhabi due to double points... 8)

C'mon people, just a few more days of waiting, Jerez is drawing near, lets not start getting delusional now after carefully keeping our delicate sanity for these past couple of months... :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Anon123
Anon123

I think whichever manufacturer has the most powerful engine will be the strongest, they will be able to qualify well then take it easy in the races (and still be fast) meaning they'll use less fuel and put less stress on the engines. I read somewhere a few days ago that overtaking will be harder because drivers will be thinking about the fuel too much.

MacX

W05 :D

astracrazy
astracrazy

......not with that nose

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i LOVE that nose, that would be awesome, great rendering! =D>
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Why go walrus and then keep the main structure low, defeats the point lol.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Ferraripilot

The front wing is too wide for starters.... who made this?

henra
henra

Owen.C93 wrote:Why go walrus and then keep the main structure low, defeats the point lol.
Exactly!
Doesn't make any sense at all.

Henning
Henning

Rikhart wrote:This could be classified as a rumour: I spoke to someone who spoke to someone working in AMG on the F1 engine, he mentioned more than 700bhp already (before electric engines).
It might be able to make 700bhp, but for how many laps? Five? then Fifty-Five laps at 400bhp because of fuel saving?

However it might be useful to have as a push to pass option.

Holm86

Henning wrote:
Rikhart wrote:This could be classified as a rumour: I spoke to someone who spoke to someone working in AMG on the F1 engine, he mentioned more than 700bhp already (before electric engines).
It might be able to make 700bhp, but for how many laps? Five? then Fifty-Five laps at 400bhp because of fuel saving?

However it might be useful to have as a push to pass option.
That is NOT how it works. Its a fuel flow limited formula with a max flow of 100kg/h. So if mercedes engine can produce 700hp it would still only be running 100kg/h just like anybody else. So they dont need to save fuel.

But the 700hp rumor is rubbish.

el-Magico
el-Magico

Holm86 wrote: That is NOT how it works. Its a fuel flow limited formula with a max flow of 100kg/h. So if mercedes engine can produce 700hp it would still only be running 100kg/h just like anybody else. So they dont need to save fuel.

A normall race takes about 1,5 hours on average.. does this mean the may use 150kg per race?
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

turbof1

During the race they'll have to save fuel, Holm86. At a point they'll have to use less then 100kg/h. If a race takes 1.5h, they need to average out on 66kg/h. You are right about practice and qualifying, but during the race they'll have to save up.

I have to wonder though, how able these engines are. V8 engines were frozen for 7 years. Surely within seven years steps have been made outside F1 that increases fuel efficiency? Not to mention more dependency on ERS' and smaller engines. Maybe fuel might be less an issue then we fear.
Last edited by turbof1 on 22 Jan 2014, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

el-Magico wrote:
Holm86 wrote: That is NOT how it works. Its a fuel flow limited formula with a max flow of 100kg/h. So if mercedes engine can produce 700hp it would still only be running 100kg/h just like anybody else. So they dont need to save fuel.

A normall race takes about 1,5 hours on average.. does this mean the may use 150kg per race?
No. There is also 100kg fuel limit. So there will be some fuel saving. At least at some tracks. But some people seems to think that if i.e the Mercedes engine is more powerful than the Renault one it must use more fuel. But thats not right.

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:During the race they'll have to save fuel, Holm86. At a point they'll have to use less then 100kg/h. If a race takes 1.5h, they need to average out on 66kg/h.

I have to wonder though, how able these engines are. V8 engines were frozen for 7 years. Surely within seven years steps have been made outside F1 that increases fuel efficiency? Not to mention more dependency on ERS' and smaller engines. Maybe fuel might be less an issue then we fear.
Im not denying that fuel saving will happen. All I say is that if one engine makes 700 hp and another makes 600 hp it does not mean that the one with 700 hp uses more fuel. Its all down to the effiency of the engine.

turbof1

IMO that does depend on efficiency, yes. For example, less internal friction is both more fuel economical and gives more power.

The most important thing is how much power you get out of each drop of fuel.

There are a lot of factors involved actually. None which have to do with this topic.
#AeroFrodo