Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
theformula

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

Interesting to hear this on Sky Sports: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... y-for-2014?
Go to 1:40.
Is it even possible that the 2014 Merc will be faster than last year's car considering people are saying the 2014 cars will be around 2-3 seconds slower?
As much as i would love this to be true, how realistic is this?
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Anon123
Anon123

Any pictures? I don't know they can test their car without images getting out.
theformula wrote:Interesting to hear this on Sky Sports: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... y-for-2014?
Is it even possible that the 2014 Merc will be faster than last year's car considering people are saying the 2014 cars will be around 2-3 seconds slower?
I think there were rumours during this pre season that the Lotus is as fast as last year so perhaps the teams have found time somewhere.
Last edited by Anon123 on 24 Jan 2014, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bredd
Bredd

stefan_ wrote:
Rosberg shakes down new Mercedes W05 at Silverstone

Nico Rosberg gave the new Mercedes W05 its first shakedown laps at Silverstone today, prior to the car’s official launch at Jerez on Tuesday morning.

Rosberg’s run was one of the first by a 2014 spec car, as Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniil Kvyat also gave the new Toro Rosso STR9 its first miles at Misano.

Teams are still allowed two private 100kms runs, despite the much stricter testing rules this year. They are known as ‘Promotional Events,’ and the cars have to run on special tyres provided by Pirelli. The FIA also has to be kept fully informed.
http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/01/24/rosb ... lverstone/
No one at silverstone with any pictures? Seems odd that Rosberg is getting all of Mercedes attention. He has done all the of the 2014 tyre tests and now the shakedown aswell.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Someone heard a FI apparently. Maybe it was the Merc but they assumed it was the FI because they are next door.

Edit: What do you know, FI tested at silverstone today too.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 24 Jan 2014, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

SectorOne

Hamilton was at Silverstone at least. Got the racing suit and everything.
https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status ... 2286075904
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dougskullery
dougskullery

theformula wrote:Interesting to hear this on Sky Sports: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... y-for-2014?
From what I hear, the engines have matched (and even exceeded) the teams' most optimistic projections for performance. If the performance deficit to last year's cars is smaller than normal, I'd imagine that's mainly because of the power unit.

FrukostScones

Lewis looks skinny also Chris Harris looks skinnier than I thought he was.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

theformula

FrukostScones wrote:Lewis looks skinny also Chris Harris looks skinnier than I thought he was.
He's not skinny, it's just his height is not that big, but his body will be packing strength and will be honed to cope with the demands of an f1 car. They can't be too heavy especially with the weight restrictions this season.
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

theformula

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>And stay tuned for something rather special this evening. It's visual, it's aural... we think you might rather like it...</p>&mdash; MERCEDES AMG F1 (@MercedesAMGF1) <a href="https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 8">January 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Merc just tweeted this! A little teaser of the new car from the track day at silverstone?!

Bredd
Bredd

To be fair they only completed about 7 laps at silverstone.

FrukostScones

Bredd wrote:To be fair they only completed about 7 laps at silverstone.
and I don't think they will show us the car later... but I hope they do...

maybe a drive-by in the same qualiyt like the bystander shot last year... :?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

theformula

Nico just tweeted and i quote "Such a great feeling. Just drove my new silver arrow for the first time. It looks quick, but I don't know if it is quick yet!"
Positive start....

Timstr
Timstr

Bredd wrote:To be fair they only completed about 7 laps at silverstone.
Who says they used the full track?

They normally use the short track for this.

Ferraripilot

Let the clock cleaning begin.

Really looking forward to seeing and hearing W05. Sky have probably accurately conjectured correctly that if the likes of Williams and Mclaren successfully fired their MB customer powered cars last week then it is a safe bet that Mercedes themselves did so well prior. Renault still never firing their engine until tomorrow comes as a shock. Williams are probably thankful they swapped to MB power units.....

theformula

Ferraripilot wrote:Let the clock cleaning begin.

Really looking forward to seeing and hearing W05. Sky have probably accurately conjectured correctly that if the likes of Williams and Mclaren successfully fired their MB customer powered cars last week then it is a safe bet that Mercedes themselves did so well prior. Renault still never firing their engine until tomorrow comes as a shock. Williams are probably thankful they swapped to MB power units.....
This video was posted on the website on the 21st, so the engine would have fired up on wednesday for the teams, renault themselves must have fired it up before.