Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Timstr
Timstr

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

richard_leeds wrote:Many teams have used the installation allowance at Silverstone before shipping the car to the winter tests. So it's not unreasonable.

I can't recall what Merc have done in previous years.
Same thing.

FoxHound

Mercedes have done filming days before.

The W04 had a Silverstone filming day last year, some regulars may recall the youtube videos of a blurry silberpfeil doing the rounds at exactly this time last year.
And the W03 had a jerez shakedown prior to its unveiling too.
JET set

SectorOne

turbof1 wrote:Mercedes has been teasing all day. With all those noses we've seen until now and mercedes' behaviour it's getting close to cockteasing.

Now they posted a video, supposedly of their car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMh_PCf ... e=youtu.be
That sounds even better then the old V8!
Got some character instead of that sowing machine sound we had last year.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Everybody looking for things on that blurred image are probably seeing mounted cameras distorting the shape anyway.

Anon123
Anon123

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? It can't be that distorted because the wheel is still round.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

the wheel doesn't look that round to me. there are horizontal distortions all over the car.

stefan_
stefan_

Are you really going to "analyse" that?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SectorOne

well you can clearly make out it´s a low nose on the car even though in the image that bit is a meter stretched out.

What´s interesting though is the periscope thing. I wonder what on the car is causing that.
Could be a camera as it´s a filming day perhaps.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Del Boy
Del Boy

Blackout wrote:
RicerDude wrote::o :shock: I think it sounds pretty cool, love the whistle at the end!
Blow off valve at 0:09!? I'm surprised we can hear that despite the regs
There are no blow off valves. It's a compound turbo, the boost pressure is controlled by the turbine MGU.

Blackout

But if the MGUH fails? Renault says they'll use a wastegate for example, to protect the turbo. So why not a BOV to protect the compressor?

Callum

Is there a black nose in respect of Schumacher?

zoro_f1

this is ridiculous... let's wait and see the true picture... the teams always play some games before launching their cars. :idea:
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

geraldix
geraldix

Both McLaren and Williams have enormous sidepods air intakes (can say that about the new Force India yet). Should we fear the new W05 will also feature fat sidepods, compared to that of the F14T, for example?

zoro_f1

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Anon123
Anon123

^ Old fan made render.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 270#navbar
geraldix wrote:Both McLaren and Williams have enormous sidepods air intakes (can say that about the new Force India yet). Should we fear the new W05 will also feature fat sidepods, compared to that of the F14T, for example?
In the Ferrari thread they have said that the Ferrari sidepods will be fatter.