2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Another thing to consider is if the turbo was hit with a flying object.
Would MGUH and turbine parts go flying, would an immense electrical and gasoline fire ensue?
Those questions have to be asked.
For Sure!!

wuzak
wuzak

ringo wrote:Another thing to consider is if the turbo was hit with a flying object.
Would MGUH and turbine parts go flying, would an immense electrical and gasoline fire ensue?
Those questions have to be asked.
I would think that the only danger there is the turbo being dislodged and coming off completely. The internals should be well protected from an impact. The Renault and, possibly, Ferrari's MGU-H's will be protected by the engine and airbox. Mercedes', if it is in the location shown in the pictures so far, will be more vulnerable.

There should be no fuel anywhere near the turbo or MGU-H, so I wouldn't expect a gasoline fire from damage to them.

There may be some chance of an electrical fire if the MGU-H is damaged, but I would hope that there is some sort of circuit protection to prevent that.

dren

You can see how the Sauber/Ferrari routes the exhaust up and over the engine.

Honda!

Mr.G

What are those orange (really "hot" looking) things?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

mrluke
mrluke

1158 wrote:I would just think with the move to more and more safety FIA would want these on the cars. I have seen where Chinese counterfeit turbos have exploded and sent pieces of the wheel through sheet metal and embedded into the road/engine blocks.

Do I think it will happen more than once or twice a season, no but these turbos will be pushed to their limit. At the very least I would say make it mandatory for the first year and see what happens. Maybe relax the requirement after this year once there is data on the cars running and proof that it isn't an issue. Better to be safe...
Why do you think the turbos will be pushed to their limit? They ran over 5 bar in the 80s. IIRC they are at 2-3bar now. They aren't running ALS which will put fuel through them. I would have thought the MGU the turbo is attached to is the biggest risk item as its a massive bit of kit to spin at 100krpm on the back of an f1 car.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

My understanding about the Ferrari turbo cover is not that they dont have one, is that they do not consider it as part of the engine package, hence not part of the weight and cog limits associated with the engine package. They have integrated the cover into the body work or something to that effect.

rjsa
rjsa

Some rough math here and I'd say Raikonen was slower than a GP2 car today. If they can cut that lag by half I'd still say the backmarkers will be slower than the GP2 by race day.

The numbers are:

GP2/F1 Yas Marina Pole 2013 108.98%

F1 2013/2014 best first day time: 110.45%

rscsr

rjsa wrote:Some rough math here and I'd say Raikonen was slower than a GP2 car today. If they can cut that lag by half I'd still say the backmarkers will be slower than the GP2 by race day.

The numbers are:

GP2/F1 Yas Marina Pole 2013 108.98%

F1 2013/2014 best first day time: 110.45%
The engine with the the MGU-K has the same power (spread over a wider rev band) as the old one. So I would say, that we can believe those people, who are saying, that they are as fast as last year. (And keep in mind, that you can scrap the times of the first test anyway.)

Rikhart
Rikhart

NathanOlder wrote:
copperkipper1 wrote:Merc, Ferrari and Redbull have done a great job at packaging their rear ends. Merc looks promising shame about the front wing failure. I think alot of laptime performance will come from how the drivers manage the ERS power available to them throughout the lap. So many different ways it can be deployed/used.
I didnt think the drivers could deploy it. afaik its not a button to press. Its deployed by the cars ECU
Quote from the mercedes thread, is this true? I thought it would be exactly like Kers, just more powerful and more available per lap!

tuj
tuj

ERS is controlled solely by the throttle but teams can map the torque demand differently per pedal travel and different mixes of ERS (MGU-H to spin up turbo / MGU-K to directly drive the wheels). So there's bound to be a lot of playing with the systems to get the most out of them.

mrluke wrote:
1158 wrote:I would just think with the move to more and more safety FIA would want these on the cars. I have seen where Chinese counterfeit turbos have exploded and sent pieces of the wheel through sheet metal and embedded into the road/engine blocks.

Do I think it will happen more than once or twice a season, no but these turbos will be pushed to their limit. At the very least I would say make it mandatory for the first year and see what happens. Maybe relax the requirement after this year once there is data on the cars running and proof that it isn't an issue. Better to be safe...
Why do you think the turbos will be pushed to their limit? They ran over 5 bar in the 80s. IIRC they are at 2-3bar now. They aren't running ALS which will put fuel through them. I would have thought the MGU the turbo is attached to is the biggest risk item as its a massive bit of kit to spin at 100krpm on the back of an f1 car.
I mean limit in terms of lifespan. I don't know how often the turbos in the 80s were changed but a new one for qualifying and then a new one for race wouldn't have shocked me back then.

Again, I doubt anything is going to happen, but better to be safe for the first year. The turbos will also be spinning in the neighborhood of 100K-125K rpm, won't they?

*edited bold/underlined for clarity
Last edited by 1158 on 29 Jan 2014, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

djos

1158 wrote:
mrluke wrote:

I mean limit in terms of lifespan. I don't know how often the turbos in the 80s were changed but a new one for qualifying and then a new one for race wouldn't shock me.

Again, I doubt anything is going to happen, but better to be safe for the first year. The turbos will also be spinning in the neighborhood of 100K-125K rpm, won't they?
You can't change the turbo more than 5 times without getting a penalty, this applies to all 5 major power train systems as per FIA rules.
"In downforce we trust"

wuzak
wuzak

tuj wrote:ERS is controlled solely by the throttle but teams can map the torque demand differently per pedal travel and different mixes of ERS (MGU-H to spin up turbo / MGU-K to directly drive the wheels). So there's bound to be a lot of playing with the systems to get the most out of them.
A correction - there can be only one throttle pedal map for the dry and one for the wet. By throttle pedal map, I mean the correlation to the throttle pedal's displacement and the PU's torque output.

The PU itslef can have different maps, however.

tuj
tuj

yes exactly, only 3 torque-demand/pedal-travel maps allowed and must be monotonically increasing by a specified gradient. But I'll bet that right now the teams have *many* maps, both PU maps, spark and fuel maps, boost target maps, MGU-H versus MGU-K maps with harvesting and generation sides...the PU's are complex for sure what with the MGU-H 'replacing' the wastegate. So lots of things to sort out, aside from the new aero... I think this year is more about who has the best team structure in place to adapt and understand their car and PU more than who actually had the best design. Them boys in the pits and back at the factory have a lot to cope with right now.

timbo
timbo

Merc engine sounds weird on low revs (note when Hamilton was coming back to pits). Probably they are switching off cylinders? On a V6 can you go to 4 or only 2 cylinders firing only?