Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Sasha wrote:No Mercedes engine if the car is painted orange and white.So sponsor is on hold.
Do you have a source for that?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Pup
Pup

TJ13...
Over the weekend it was reported that Boullier will be joining McLaren at Jerez however this seems to have been put on ice for the time-being as the Daily Mail claims he wont be at Jerez at all now. Although the latter is not significant it could be a signal of some trouble brewing between the teams.

Both McLaren and Lotus are said to have been courting Sony Entertainment for sponsorship with Lotus making a much better offer than McLaren. Considering how well Lotus did last year and that they are the F1 circus’ social media kings it may be a wise move for Sony to partner with them, at a much better price than McLaren.

Could this be the reason why Boullier is not attending testing as part of the McLaren team, maybe contracts have been dusted off an everyone was reminded of the “Garden” clause?
I'd think Lotus would then be reminded of the "Paycheck" clause. Unless Boullier was paying himself while everyone else went without, which I doubt.

iotar__

Avocado wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Complete meltdown for me is fifth place, no podiums, losing technical director before the season and usually fighting for places 8-12, 1,5 seconds (or whatever) behind leaders. That's 2013 reality and what will happen in 2014 is unknown except for change of team principal, one rookie driver, one driver past his best and general transition season before change of engine supplier. Disadvantage of not being engine manufacturer is similar. As for losing personnel McL had their fair share over the previous seasons: Fry and others to Ferrari, Lowe etc., they also lost Santander, Vodafone and other sponsors.
Holy ---, so much bullshit. Who cares if they singed many new engineers from other teams, even the most important RBR duo besides Newey, ha? Complete meltdown!
they also lost Santander, Vodafone and other sponsors.
That is a lie. Santander is still their partner, they even renewed partnership a few days ago. They only lost Vodafone. Neale said that this year the team will have the biggest budget in the history.

Comparing Lotus and McLaren is just dumb.
They signed them but they're not working for them, do they? They "lost" Santander in their full capacity to Ferrari (amount of money is important), the rest - facts.

Someone said delay is because of Dennis' bargaining position - I say (knowing nothing of course) that it's because potential sponsor is waiting if McLaren is good or bad under new set of rules. May not be true but is plausible if you realise they are about to throw millions on a long-term deal after poor season. Unless it's Honda related and it doesn't matter.

Just because McLaren have strong marketing, fan base and friendly (it's not about friendship) journalists together spinning every failure into "we are stronger" story reality does not change. They also lost Hamilton, may be a problem for sponsors, talking about Alonso and firing Perez is no substitute, Magnussen may be v. good but it's another unknown and he's less marketable. It's also interesting how highly rated Boullier became after he left, I don't recall anyone saying season or three ago that Lotus was going to be great because he was there, on the contrary.

Kiril Varbanov

Boulier confirmed:

kooleracer
kooleracer

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Boulier confirmed:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfI4ZUUCcAAKEW3.jpg:large
For that new spot (McLaren Racing CEO) there are only 2 options Ross Brawn of a top brass from Honda. 80% sure that will be Ross. That role is created for him, he wants be in charge of a race team and that new role is exactly what Ross was looking for at Mercedes F1.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

adrianjordan

kooleracer wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Boulier confirmed:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfI4ZUUCcAAKEW3.jpg:large
For that new spot (McLaren Racing CEO) there are only 2 options Ross Brawn of a top brass from Honda. 80% sure that will be Ross. That role is created for him, he wants be in charge of a race team and that new role is exactly what Ross was looking for at Mercedes F1.
Sounds like it doesn't it!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

so wait... is "racing director" equivalent to "team principal"? Sounds like a higher position to me. if so, what are they doing for team principal? surely whitmarsh will be expected to leave after this move...

bauc

"In due course we'll announce the identity of McLaren Racing's new Chief Executive Officer, who'll report to me, and to whom Eric will report. I'm firmly of the belief that, once McLaren Racing's restructured senior management team has been assembled, together we'll begin the march back to full competitiveness, quickly and professionally, harnessing the fantastic depth of talent that exists within our organisation."

Does this mean there is room for one more?! Brawn maybe?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

iotar__

bauc wrote:"In due course we'll announce the identity of McLaren Racing's new Chief Executive Officer, who'll report to me, and to whom Eric will report. I'm firmly of the belief that, once McLaren Racing's restructured senior management team has been assembled, together we'll begin the march back to full competitiveness, quickly and professionally, harnessing the fantastic depth of talent that exists within our organisation."

Does this mean there is room for one more?! Brawn maybe?
Looks like it. Boullier is not team principal then however you name it. He's like above S. Michael for racing/operation, right? Corporate management titles mumbo-jumbo at its best:
Boullier "will work with chief operating officer Jonathan Neale and report to the chief executive officer of McLaren Racing, an all-new position which has yet to be filled, but which will be covered by Neale for the time being."

So at the time he "will work alongside" Neale but Neale is filling temporarily position higher to Boullier - "chief executive". #-o Why do they need three positions: chief exec and Boullier and Neale below him.

Imagine if they asked Brawn: look, we just fired team principal and we're restructuring management positions, you're going to work with chief sth and be... Brawn: forget about it, even at Mercedes with 20 directors it was clearer :wink: .

Edit: Unless it's going to be Dennis filling "new" position with less hands-on work but making decisions - just to adhere to legal/corporate structure.

danielk
danielk

My understanding is that Brawn Left Mercedes as it was too top heavy. He didnt wana share his responsibilities and would only stay if he remained at the top.

This new role doesnt sound like it would fit what Ross wanted.

Avocado
Avocado

acosmichippo wrote:so wait... is "racing director" equivalent to "team principal"?
Nope.
bauc wrote:Does this mean there is room for one more?! Brawn maybe?
Yes, there is room for one more. Still chance for Brawn. :)
Last edited by Avocado on 29 Jan 2014, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

CBeck113
CBeck113

This would actually be tailor-made for his wishes - complete control of the team, only having to answer to the board, of which he would be a member.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

danielk wrote:My understanding is that Brawn Left Mercedes as it was too top heavy. He didnt wana share his responsibilities and would only stay if he remained at the top.

This new role doesnt sound like it would fit what Ross wanted.
CEO sure sounds like the top to me.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

If Brawn does arrive, that is a pretty strong team managerial team Macca will have.

Did we ever see this 'big named signed,' was peter prodromou the big name?

I was under the impression there were more to come, this was before what seems like the demise of Whitmarsh.

fritticaldi

McLaren is always a well organized team and it amazes me that they are announcing a team principal only 40 days before the first Grand Prix of the season. Regarding a title sponsor, there are stories that a Japanese tech giant (Sony) will be signed but they are also in negotiations with Lotus.