Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FoxHound

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

acosmichippo wrote:
danielk wrote:My understanding is that Brawn Left Mercedes as it was too top heavy. He didnt wana share his responsibilities and would only stay if he remained at the top.

This new role doesnt sound like it would fit what Ross wanted.
CEO sure sounds like the top to me.
Dennis at the tippy top, and then you have Boullier as racing director and Sam Micheal doing....whatever it is he does(Sporting Director). Then you have Jonathan Neal as managing director, and Neil Oatley as director of design and development programmes.
Things begin to split as Tim Goss is classed as a Technical director, and David Redding as team manager with Simon Roberts as Operations Director...phew.
Add Brawn into the mix and you are looking at something which is pretty convoluted. But it is working for Mercedes, so no reason why not for McLaren.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/
JET set

Avocado
Avocado

JimClarkFan wrote:Did we ever see this 'big named signed,' was peter prodromou the big name?
Ciaron Pilbeam (Lotus (RBR before 2013))
Peter Prodromou (RBR)
Dan Fallows (RBR)
Matt Morris (Sauber)
Eric Boullier (Lotus)
Ettore Griffini (Lotus)
etc.

"...as well as more than a dozen top-level engineers from among the best teams in Formula 1, all of whom have seen the capacity and potential that exists here at McLaren."

And more to come.

tim|away
tim|away

FoxHound wrote:
acosmichippo wrote:
danielk wrote:My understanding is that Brawn Left Mercedes as it was too top heavy. He didnt wana share his responsibilities and would only stay if he remained at the top.

This new role doesnt sound like it would fit what Ross wanted.
CEO sure sounds like the top to me.
Dennis at the tippy top, and then you have Boullier as racing director and Sam Micheal doing....whatever it is he does(Sporting Director). Then you have Jonathan Neal as managing director, and Neil Oatley as director of design and development programmes.
Things begin to split as Tim Goss is classed as a Technical director, and David Redding as team manager with Simon Roberts as Operations Director...phew.
Add Brawn into the mix and you are looking at something which is pretty convoluted. But it is working for Mercedes, so no reason why not for McLaren.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/
This is not consistent with the McLaren press release though, according to which Oatley will be the interim CEO and Boullier will be underneath Oatley until a CEO has been appointed. Whether or not Oatley and Boullier will be side-by-side after a CEO has been found is very questionable.

I think McLaren has a structure like this:
Chairman (Dennis) / board of directors -> CEO (to be filled) -> COO (Oatley) -> this is where things get convoluted between Boullier, Michael and possibly others.

FoxHound

Its on their webpage so they will not update it until everything is set in stone.
JET set

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

well it's a management tree, not a line. people can be on the same level with different responsibilities. For example, CEO -> other officers (COO/CFO/CTO) -> Directors -> Managers, etc

Richard
Richard

Yup, it's simple tree. We don't have the diagram but I can imagine it's something like this:

Ron Dennis - Supreme head of McLaren Group
New CEO - Head of F1 division
Boullier - racing (ie drivers, pitwall) reports to CEO
Oatley - engineering (ie car and R&D) reports to CEO
Neale - corporate (finance, sponsorship etc) reports to CEO

The others occupy lower levels reporting to one of the above. For instance I imagine Sam Michael reports to Boullier.

Pup
Pup

I'm not sure if Oatley will be on the same level as Boullier and Neale, though he probably would be.

I guess now that Brawn is all but announced. I can't imagine anyone else on pit lane in that role. I guess Todt could retire from the FIA. :lol:

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Because Mclaren lost Tuesday, tomorow the team will split the program between Jenson and Kevin. In the morning Jenson, than in the afternoon Kevin. It was confirmed by Kevin, via Twitter

Kevin Magnussen ‏@KevinMagnussen 7m
Good day today. But as we did no running yesterday, @JensonButton will do tomorrow a.m. & I'll do tomorrow p.m. & all day Friday.

FoxHound

Just had some sad news via James Allen that 2 McLaren employees have been killed in Woking today.
Details are scarce and I have yet to see any names but a sad time for the team.
JET set

gray41

What!?

Thats terrible news if true.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

FoxHound

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-n ... ar-6645786

Collision involving 2 McLaren automotive employees and a transit van.
JET set

VarioR

Does anyone know who will be McLaren's main sponsor?
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

bauc

VarioR wrote:Does anyone know who will be McLaren's main sponsor?
Mclaren does not have a title sponsor yet for this year, there are some rumors about Sony but nothing confirmed yet.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

iotar__

richard_leeds wrote:Yup, it's simple tree. We don't have the diagram but I can imagine it's something like this:

Ron Dennis - Supreme head of McLaren Group
New CEO - Head of F1 division
Boullier - racing (ie drivers, pitwall) reports to CEO
Oatley - engineering (ie car and R&D) reports to CEO
Neale - corporate (finance, sponsorship etc) reports to CEO

The others occupy lower levels reporting to one of the above. For instance I imagine Sam Michael reports to Boullier.
No it's not simple, where is (and who really is) team principal? In terms of policies or on operational level. Not about title but day to day job in F1 - who is Horner, he's got title but you know what I mean. "Responds to" is vague, it can mean he/she can fire you but "can't" say (probably usually can ;-)) what to do tomorrow, and doesn't cover real decision making (timing) in organization. Where is technical director, again the actual job? How does "responds to" work between Lowe/Goss and Oatley for example? It's a "sport" that works a bit differently and two most important positions in a team - TP and TD - are not mentioned.

There's a difference between McL group and McL racing. There's a new position, why did need the change? My guess (but I don't care enough to argue strongly about it again) - you can't run the whole group and F1 team at 100% (physically, time etc), Whitmarsh was F1 team/racing, but if you want to really make decisions this structure was needed, assumption Dennis, if it's Brawn in advance fine I was wrong. Simply put - will new chief sth sit at every race on the pit wall next to Boullier and Michael?

I don't think racing (Boullier) covers only drivers and pitwall. It's Michael's job at the moment, Permane type at Lotus. Leaving this subject - it was always weird that Button got two first days (same for Vettel to be fair). Magnussen is another special treatment driver.

Edit: after reading this I don't feel that strongly about my theory, he can't respond to himself ;-), let's see who it will be:
(Dennis)“In due course we’ll announce the identity of McLaren Racing’s new Chief Executive Officer, who’ll report to me, and to whom Eric will report."

Pup
Pup

Trackside observations of the new kid, via TJ13...
I had no 3G as I spent the afternoon around the back of the circuit and therefore was completely unaware of the lap times being set. Yet Magnusson was clearly hitting every apex, breaking to almost perfection and driving the car with the ease and rhythm of someone who has been a pilot at the top level of single seater motorsport for many years.

Whilst Lewis was experimenting with different gear shift patterns through the long turn 5 onto the back straight, Magnussun was metronomic in his approach to this corner for lap after lap.

This kid is clearly the real deal, and before the bookies get wind of his talent, for those of you willing to take a punt, whatever his odds for the world title, he’s well worth a few quid.