2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

I've been through some initial sound analysis of the available engine sounds, unfortunately the videos are having quite unusable audio quality. On that note, I will be doing full-blown professional sound analysis of the new engines once clear sounds are available.

I must say, however, that the more I listen to them, the more they grow on me. Inevitably, when there's a change, there's a resistance due to habits, but these engines sound both mechanical and complex at the same time.
What is real relief is the sound when it's attached to chassis and exhausts with full track acoustics. Long time ago certain previews were available and they sounded, well.. strange, at best.

What's your take on 2014 engine sounds?
Update: I just ran a new poll about it - http://www.f1technical.net/poll/index.php?dispid=266
Last edited by Kiril Varbanov on 29 Jan 2014, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

dren

Sounds like most of them were short shifting in the videos I watched. A few had higher pitched sounds down the straights, so I'm guessing those were closer to the actual running limit. As turbo noted, the Merc sounds like arse at low speeds, maybe they are running on a few banks only?
Honda!

ecapox

The Ferrari sounds like a complete symphony of musical instruments.

oT v1
oT v1

has there been a queue of engineers at the end of pitlane with digital sound recorders? 8) (RE: redbull in Jerez 2012)
The Power of Dreams

autogyro
autogyro

It would be interesting if more could be learned from the engine (and transmission/tyre) sound than simply rpm, shift points and basic throttle positions etc.
In the new formula it is fuel efficiency that is the key issue.
Working out some kind of fuel use from the sound would be very useful.

kooleracer
kooleracer

timbo wrote:Merc engine sounds weird on low revs (note when Hamilton was coming back to pits). Probably they are switching off cylinders? On a V6 can you go to 4 or only 2 cylinders firing only?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkhpUSGaFy4[/youtube]

couldn't find a clear clip of the W05 making this sound [0.12 of the clip], but is does.

Can someone explain the sound difference between the Ferrari and the Mercedes engine. It sounds like traction control or the 2012 Red Bull in 2011/ 12 engine blowing or is the Mercedes engine cutting cylinders for better traction?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

dren

autogyro wrote:It would be interesting if more could be learned from the engine (and transmission/tyre) sound than simply rpm, shift points and basic throttle positions etc.
In the new formula it is fuel efficiency that is the key issue.
Working out some kind of fuel use from the sound would be very useful.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say when you quit hearing engine sounds, it might have run out of gas. :wink:
Honda!

Phil1984
Phil1984

Since I'm no engineer, I have a question regarding the general sound of these engines: Where does this infernal ROOOAR-sound come from while accelerating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keLcrTw7FOI

It can be heard from 0:00-0:03 (right before the Force India brakes) as well as in between 0:31-0:38 and during 0:44-0:47 (while accelerating out of the pitlane). These engines sound distinguishly different than their v8-counterparts. I guess it is not due to the 3000 less revs, is it? Is it maybe the turbo as such or some other structural element that makes these engines sound so different in comparison to the normal aspirated v8s/v10s/v12s? I have never heard that much of a bass-heavy ROAR before in an f1-engine (unless in the 80s obviously), since the aspirated engines were more of a high pitched screamer. So...what is it that makes it sound so much different?

djos wrote:
1158 wrote:
I mean limit in terms of lifespan. I don't know how often the turbos in the 80s were changed but a new one for qualifying and then a new one for race wouldn't wouldn't have shocked me back then.

Again, I doubt anything is going to happen, but better to be safe for the first year. The turbos will also be spinning in the neighborhood of 100K-125K rpm, won't they?
You can't change the turbo more than 5 times without getting a penalty, this applies to all 5 major power train systems as per FIA rules.
I'm aware of this. Thus why I said pushing the limits in terms of life span.

The unlimited turbo use I was referring to was during the 80s.

I can see how you read what I wrote differently than what I meant tho. Hopefully the bolded/underlined changes make my intent clearer. Sorry for that.

djos

no worries :)

IMO turbo lifespan is a complete non issue this time around as materials tech has advanced so far beyond what was available in the 80's it might as well be of alien origin!

The boost pressures being used are also much lower and variable geometry is banned. The latter item would certainly cause potential issues if it where allowed as this is still fairly cutting edge.
"In downforce we trust"

langwadt
langwadt

Phil1984 wrote:Since I'm no engineer, I have a question regarding the general sound of these engines: Where does this infernal ROOOAR-sound come from while accelerating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keLcrTw7FOI

It can be heard from 0:00-0:03 (right before the Force India brakes) as well as in between 0:31-0:38 and during 0:44-0:47 (while accelerating out of the pitlane). These engines sound distinguishly different than their v8-counterparts. I guess it is not due to the 3000 less revs, is it? Is it maybe the turbo as such or some other structural element that makes these engines sound so different in comparison to the normal aspirated v8s/v10s/v12s? I have never heard that much of a bass-heavy ROAR before in an f1-engine (unless in the 80s obviously), since the aspirated engines were more of a high pitched screamer. So...what is it that makes it sound so much different?
I'll assume the turbo turbine act as a "silencer" attenuating the high frequency sounds

langwadt wrote:
I'll assume the turbo turbine act as a "silencer" attenuating the high frequency sounds
I think you are onto something there. I never thought much about it but that makes sense.

I posted this reply to the same question in the engine poll thread as well:
1158 wrote: I think that's just the exhaust.

In my limited experience a turbo more or less combines the pulses and alters the sound. When I run my car open downpipe it has a similar sound. I only have 4 cylinders and don't rev as high so it is "weaker" sounding but it isn't far off.

djos wrote:no worries :)

IMO turbo lifespan is a complete non issue this time around as materials tech has advanced so far beyond what was available in the 80's it might as well be of alien origin!

The boost pressures being used are also much lower and variable geometry is banned. The latter item would certainly cause potential issues if it where allowed as this is still fairly cutting edge.

Yeah, I suppose that is true. I really want to know more about these turbos but I bet there will be limited "leakage".

Almost need a catastrophic failure to get us some parts to look at.

I would love to see variable geometry in the future. FIA probably won't go for that but one can wish.

ringo

The cars sound like crap to be honest. The sound is new, and i think that is why we may tend to have a liking for it. But after comparing it to the V8. the V8 is more melodious and pure. These v6s sound very grumpy and dull.
They remind me of lesser racing series cars. You're waiting for the engine to start screaming out and it just never does. I find that annoying.
The times when the engine is in the lower revs it's starts to sound extrememly grumpy like an old Leyland truck.

Intersting sounds coming from the engine, at various engine speeds and loads. But i wouldn't say the engines sound good.
For Sure!!

Forza

Sky interview with Rémi Taffin (Head of Track Operations) from Renault Sport [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtenemHPJM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9_j5bkCRU4[/youtube]