2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Are there any pictures with an engine cover off?
the power unit is very interesting, but if it's under and engine cover and the computer is doing everything outside of the driver's awareness how can we know what's really happening?
For Sure!!

mkable1370
mkable1370

ringo wrote:Are there any pictures with an engine cover off?
the power unit is very interesting, but if it's under and engine cover and the computer is doing everything outside of the driver's awareness how can we know what's really happening?
This is the best I've seen thus far. This is the back-end of the Ferrari powerplant in the Sauber car. Picture is from over on the Sauber forum here.

OO7
OO7

timbo wrote:Merc engine sounds weird on low revs (note when Hamilton was coming back to pits). Probably they are switching off cylinders? On a V6 can you go to 4 or only 2 cylinders firing only?
According to Remi Taffin from Renault, they can run the engine on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 cylinders, so maximum variation.

wuzak
wuzak

In that interview Ted mentions that without the MGU-H the lag would be 6-7s! With the MGU-H it is "under 1s".

Pingguest
Pingguest

Under the 2013 regulations KERS was used as an extra boost, which was activated by the driver pressing a button. To prevent KERS from being used as a form of traction control and/or launch control, the SECU made it impossible to use KERS at a speed below 100 kilometres per hour. Now I wonder how the prohibition of launch control and traction control will be enforced from 2014. Could anyone provide me an answer? Thanks in advance!

dren

Sounds like 13k rpm max for Mercedes. This is supported by the paper posted for the Cosworth unit. The BSFC looked to tail off after 13k.
Gary Anderson via Autosport wrote:I doubt there is anyone at Jerez who is using all the potential of the car and wringing its neck just yet as mileage is still the priority.

So that includes not using the electrical power to its maximum or the full 15,000rpm. In fact, the paddock grapevine has it that Mercedes is running at a maximum of 13,000rpm and Ferrari just a little higher than that.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112354
Honda!

wuzak
wuzak

dren wrote:Sounds like 13k rpm max for Mercedes. This is supported by the paper posted for the Cosworth unit. The BSFC looked to tail off after 13k.
Gary Anderson via Autosport wrote:I doubt there is anyone at Jerez who is using all the potential of the car and wringing its neck just yet as mileage is still the priority.

So that includes not using the electrical power to its maximum or the full 15,000rpm. In fact, the paddock grapevine has it that Mercedes is running at a maximum of 13,000rpm and Ferrari just a little higher than that.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112354
Reading between the lines, he is suggesting that they will ramp up to the full 15k.

dren

I don't know if I think they are hinting at higher running, or if they are just not using the ERS at max.
Honda!

thisisatest
thisisatest

havent read every single page, so excuse me if this has been addressed.
quote from Autosport
The Ferrari F1 F14 T sounds a lot different to the other cars under braking. Why is this?

It is incredibly smooth on the downchanges. Everyone else is blipping the throttle a lot more and it's difficult to say why the Ferrari is so smooth in comparison.

All the cars have a zero torque loss upshift, seamless shift, but nobody has done that on the downshifts. With the ERS recharging from the rear wheels and the need to downchange under braking, it now might be a good idea.

We don't know for sure, but perhaps Ferrari is ahead of the game with such technology.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112367

so the ferrari doesnt sound like it's blipping the throttle on downshift. is it possible they are using the MGU-K to "blip" the crankshaft speed? i would think the electric motor may be more efficient in getting the unloaded shaft up to speed.

carvetia
carvetia

I think everyone is missing the point with the Renault unreliability: When everything is set in stone with regards to the engines, you can still make as many updates as you want to improve the reliability of the package, but not its performance.

It's clear then that it's better to have the higher risk, higher performance package. You can solve your reliability problems later, but you can't add performance in the same way. The way the others have run so reliably tells me they have not been aggressive enough.

Just like every other recent engine format Renault has been a part of, I think they will emerge the most successful in the end once the reliability issues are resolved. They have probably chosen a more performance-oriented approach at the beginning, which while posing a risk in the short term, will pay off in the long term.

dren

The huge advances in QA/QC and design have lead to the large jump in reliability in F1 the last several years. I don't think it is a matter of Renault pushing performance. I think it is a matter of Renault not being prepared.
Honda!

skoop
skoop

has anyone meassured the loudness of the new engines? we could compare them to the v8/10/12. i know they're just running at max. 13000rpm, never the less i think that would give us a pretty good indication of what to expect.

matt21

I´m not sure if it was asked before, but is the number and position of throttles is limited?

douglas
douglas

carvetia wrote:The way the others have run so reliably tells me they have not been aggressive enough.
5 engine units for 19 Tracks, so it will be 3.8 races for each engine unit, i think that it's too early to say that mercedes and ferrari are so reliably

R_Redding
R_Redding

I loved the last turbo era... I still love to watch the old channel 4 Equinox episodes "Turbo" detailing the development of the Cosworth turbo engine for the short lived Hass Lola team.

Its also a good reminder that the reliability of the 80s turbo cars was shockingly bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haas_Lola

If you look at the above Hass Lola wiki page ,they picked up points in 86, but were always many laps down.

We have become used to most of the cars finishing , but thats not how it has always been.

Rob