2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Sevach wrote:
beelsebob wrote: I very much doubt we'll see any cut in engine power for the race, simply because the drivers are not on the throttle all the time. Even if the peak fuel flow in qualifying is 100kg/h, that doesn't mean that the average is (and in fact, I fully expect it to be much lower).
I'm not with you on this one, even if the V6s naturally use less fuel than the V8s the drop from (around) 150kg to 100kg will mean they can't use full power for the duration of the race.
The point is that they don't want to use full power for the duration of the race, because there are these things called corners ;)

Sevach
Sevach

beelsebob wrote: The point is that they don't want to use full power for the duration of the race, because there are these things called corners ;)
And my point is that they won't be using full power(at least not for long), on the straights, because they will run out of fuel if they do.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Sevach wrote:
beelsebob wrote: The point is that they don't want to use full power for the duration of the race, because there are these things called corners ;)
And my point is that they won't be using full power(at least not for long), on the straights, because they will run out of fuel if they do.
Suppose that the drivers are on the throttle 60% of the time, and that when off throttle the engine uses only 15% of the fuel of when on throttle (coarse example, but probably reasonable accurate).

A lap would then involve 100kg/h 60% of the time, and 15kg/h 40% of the time, giving an average fuel consumption of 66kg/h, and hence a total driving time on 100kg of fuel of 90 minutes, i.e. a typical full race time. So it's entirely reasonable to expect that drivers can happily use 100kg/h while on throttle throughout the race.

WhiteBlue

max power unit power will be up on last year. Weight will be up and downforce will be down initially. The question is how quickly they will pile on the downforce again.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

rscsr

WhiteBlue wrote:max power unit power will be up on last year. Weight will be up and downforce will be down initially. The question is how quickly they will pile on the downforce again.
But on the other hand the effective power u can use is up, because the power curve is much flatter.
I have the power curves of the V6 and V8 drawn over the speed of the car: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 13#p484513

Sevach
Sevach

beelsebob wrote: Suppose that the drivers are on the throttle 60% of the time, and that when off throttle the engine uses only 15% of the fuel of when on throttle (coarse example, but probably reasonable accurate).

A lap would then involve 100kg/h 60% of the time, and 15kg/h 40% of the time, giving an average fuel consumption of 66kg/h, and hence a total driving time on 100kg of fuel of 90 minutes, i.e. a typical full race time. So it's entirely reasonable to expect that drivers can happily use 100kg/h while on throttle throughout the race.
Someone on my side 8)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/02/09/r ... ted-newey/

beelsebob
beelsebob

Sevach wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Suppose that the drivers are on the throttle 60% of the time, and that when off throttle the engine uses only 15% of the fuel of when on throttle (coarse example, but probably reasonable accurate).

Someone on my side 8)

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/02/09/r ... ted-newey/
Actually no, as is typical for Mr Newey, his opinion is much more nuanced than you're making out. He talks about most of the races – i.e. it's borderline whether a race can be done without fuel saving or not. He talks about the fuel flow limit also being limiting, and finally, he points out that we were already fuel saving with the V8s too.

Sevach
Sevach

Dance around all you want, this is what he said...
He and a big amount of people working on these cars.

OrangeArrows
OrangeArrows

F1 cars nowadays are safer compared to the 2004/2005 cars, why slow them down? I don't understand the fia. What is the mean reason?

Tik

I didn't read through the entire thread to see if this was discussed before, but could the throttling system be calibrated differently? For instance, if a driver is used to and feels comfortable with a particular percentage of pedal travel in a particular area of a track, can the throttle actuation be controlled to actually open the throttle by a lesser amount? Obviously, the driver will not feel the power coming on and might push the pedal further, but the difference could be made subtle.
Karthik Venkatesan

Lycoming
Lycoming

Yes. they're called pedal maps. Look 'em up.

SectorOne

Tik wrote:For instance, if a driver is used to and feels comfortable with a particular percentage of pedal travel in a particular area of a track, can the throttle actuation be controlled to actually open the throttle by a lesser amount?
Good question, i´m not sure if they have maps which are "slower" then the linear output.
I´m guessing it´s from linear to sort of S-shaped maps.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Tik

Lycoming wrote:Yes. they're called pedal maps. Look 'em up.
Thanks. I just did, and found a nice article on it on this very site - An insight into pedal mapping
Karthik Venkatesan

Sevach
Sevach

Even this early into the Bahrain test i'd say my fears are gone, it will be slower no doubt, but still good enough.

Lycoming
Lycoming

well at least it gave us something to bicker about for the last 7 pages.