Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vtr
vtr

Re: Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

Of course that photo does not show the ugly bit, but that car/paintjob looks beautiful!The render does it no justice.

Predator

Brightened and enlarged:

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

There are obvious differences between the rendering and the rear of the engine cover and sidepod heat outlets. I would assume all last minute changes for cooling.

aleks_ader

muelte wrote:Don't think there is DRD, all I see is a regular rear wing pillar and due to picture angle looks like it's connected to the cooling outlet in a DRD way, but it's not.
I dont think so. But how they could avoid from exhaoust low pressure area influence i had no idea (on its way is exhaoust pipe).

Overal shape is odd and somehow similar to previouse versions of DRD. Yes and of course we need more pics to judge if this is really something more than just faty pillar covered with silver ductape.

I m pondering implementation of fluid switch with passive trigger system corresponding with exhaust flow (hint: you cannot had any exhaust holes except exit one).

Let say triggering sys when is engine on limmiter on 13/14/15 RPMs? That would takes some clever and insane PU mappings to make this work and even more important drivable.

Some sketches (sorry for crappy pic):

+better sideview

Legend:
1. DRD periscope duct
2. exhaust pipe
3.small outlet like in last interpretation
4. conventional 2nd DRD duct tube (bigger one)

Just speculate for sharing ideas!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

Sidepod inlets look to me pretty small.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

aleks_ader wrote: I m pondering implementation of fluid switch with passive trigger system corresponding with exhaust flow (hint: you cannot had any exhaust holes except exit one).

Let say triggering sys when is engine on limmiter on 13/14/15 RPMs? That would takes some clever and insane PU mappings to make this work and even more important drivable.
Do you mean an external switch outside the exhaust exclusion cylinder?
or by exploiting "5.8.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through joints (either into or out of the system), all (and only) the fluids entering the compressor inlet must exit from the engine exhaust system."?

The first one (which I think is what you're suggesting) does sound pretty difficult/complex to implement - I can't picture an arrangement for it myself, but who knows!
The 2nd doesn't sound like it would fly as if you're designing things to channel leakage, then the leakage isn't incidental.

CBeck113
CBeck113

zioture wrote:
CottrellGP wrote:Not too sure if this image has been posted before but here.. I also think they are cooling the turbo
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgIjSPSCEAARaQE.jpg:large
the mechanics are blowing cold air where I had indicated the air intake
http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... sauber.jpg
They cut away the engine cover and have added a chimney along with an openable panel to cool the engine as seen in the picture. Also, if you compare the render with the actual car, you can see that the engine cover has a much larger cooling exit, running through the central pillar for the rear wing. I do not believe that this is DRD, but the late redesign of the engine cover to compensate for the cooling problems makes the pillar, which is covered on heat resistant material, to look like a duct. My €o.o2
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

aleks_ader

aleks_ader wrote: I m pondering implementation of fluid switch with passive trigger system corresponding with exhaust flow (hint: you cannot had any exhaust holes except exit one).

Do you mean an external switch outside the exhaust exclusion cylinder?
or by exploiting "5.8.1 With the exception of incidental leakage through joints (either into or out of the system), all (and only) the fluids entering the compressor inlet must exit from the engine exhaust system."?

The first one (which I think is what you're suggesting) does sound pretty difficult/complex to implement - I can't picture an arrangement for it myself, but who knows!
The 2nd doesn't sound like it would fly as if you're designing things to channel leakage, then the leakage isn't incidental.
If you read my post carefully you will see my note when i mentioned that. I am totally aware that!

This is just "cooling vent" (like RB cannon if you like, look pictures of this year cars especially RB and FI you will see that pattern) with pasive fluid switch (exhaust gases are still inside tube and exit in regulated box behind rear axle => look my dravings). I my eyes 100% legal.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader wrote: If you read my post carefully you will see my note when i mentioned that. I am totally aware that!

This is just "cooling vent" (like RB cannon if you like, look pictures of this year cars especially RB and FI you will see that pattern) with pasive fluid switch (exhaust gases are still inside tube and exit in regulated box behind rear axle => look my dravings). I my eyes 100% legal.
Hi aleks
- what I can't make out from your sketches is how the exhaust interacts with the flow from the cooling outlet.
Any chance you can talk me through how the exhaust would control the fluidic switch?

aleks_ader

aleks_ader wrote: If you read my post carefully you will see my note when i mentioned that. I am totally aware that!

Hi aleks
- what I can't make out from your sketches is how the exhaust interacts with the flow from the cooling outlet.
Any chance you can talk me through how the exhaust would control the fluidic switch?
Just works like aspirator and its based on venturi effect and bernuli principle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbnPu89ChU

Exhaoust gases still energise air flow and build behind its exit low pressure zone, witch helps suck air throw DRD duct. That influenced fluid switch inside periscope ducting. So now i achieve that pressure difference could work as an passive trigger.

But the biggest problem is car unsteady velocity and that makes thing to setup even more difficult. And to make right, you must do compromise RPM vs. car speed.

On rest of fluid switch i am looking for similar principle like those for F duct in 2010 and those like test Lotus last year. but on exact mehanical priciple i m still working on. Hoping that i will update whole theory behind it in next days.

And of course rules around exhausts make that implementation even more tricky and interesting....

Blackout

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Is the part I highlighted with green, a part of the bodywork? it seems to raise, like in the render, but with a steeper angle :?:
The render's precision level looks fairly reasonable. And obviously the ''Renault'' channels of the bodywork are much larger than those the 3d render shows...

Last edited by Blackout on 12 Feb 2014, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

My Guess would be the Hot Air Exit.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_
stefan_

Well, first of all the 3D render doesn't seem to have an exhaust pipe. Or I don't see it.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Henning
Henning

stefan_ wrote:Well, first of all the 3D render doesn't seem to have an exhaust pipe. Or I don't see it.
I think the exhaust on the render is like the McLaren one, exiting closer to the rear wing.

scarbs
scarbs

Is there something going on above the 'NII' on the GENII logo on the sidepod. Looks like the sidepods been modified?

I hear from inside the team cooling was all OK at the test and no mods were requested post-test. But then I hear the bodywork itself is getting very hot around the engine, making it hard for mechanics to remove the panels in the garage.