Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr.G

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

The render looks like normal spec. and the real looks like for hot races.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Blackout

Yes.
But sometimes, the render is more advanced than the launch spec, like last year when the CGI had some parts whcih were added to the real E21 only in Barcelone 2 : P
Thunders wrote:My Guess would be the Hot Air Exit.
Obviously, but I'm questioning its shape :P
I agree Henning.
Interesting Scarbs... maybe the'll be urged to cover the inside of the bodywork with different heat shielding material? AFAIK the Enstone team rarely use advanced ones.

CBeck113
CBeck113

Re: Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

scarbs wrote:
Is there something going on above the 'NII' on the GENII logo on the sidepod. Looks like the sidepods been modified?

I hear from inside the team cooling was all OK at the test and no mods were requested post-test. But then I hear the bodywork itself is getting very hot around the engine, making it hard for mechanics to remove the panels in the garage.
I see something below the "GENII" (possible hole) but not above it; the decal on the actual car has been changed: larger, the red reaches the top of the pod, and the writing is horizontal now. The complete exit at the rear has been enlarged, along with the makeshift chimney/trap door on the engine cover, so I wouldn't be surprized if they weren't overheating. Let's see what they have in Bahrain next week for bodywork on the car; local temperatures are to be over 20°C all week.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Blackout

I dont think it's a hole. Many of the Enstone made cars have small rectangulair and triabgular removeable hatches at the bottom the sidepods. On the E21, the left* hand one gave acess to the engines air bottle, AFAIR.
Last edited by Blackout on 12 Feb 2014, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

aleks_ader

Blackout wrote:I dont think it's a hole. Many of the Enstone made cars have small rectangulair and triabgular removeable hatches at the bottom the sidepods. On the E21, the right hand one gave acess to the engines air bottle, AFAIR.
Yes team very oftem do that. Like RB, Ferrar and Mclaren in previouse years. But for be 100% sure about that we need wait for better pictures...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

scarbs
scarbs

There certainly appears to be a square edge above the NII on the GENII logo.

The black item below the logo is just the access hatch for PVRS, pre heating systems etc, they just havent put the decals over it.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

aleks_ader wrote:
muelte wrote:Don't think there is DRD, all I see is a regular rear wing pillar and due to picture angle looks like it's connected to the cooling outlet in a DRD way, but it's not.
I dont think so. But how they could avoid from exhaoust low pressure area influence i had no idea (on its way is exhaoust pipe).

http://i.imgur.com/CYUPOXT.jpg

Overal shape is odd and somehow similar to previouse versions of DRD. Yes and of course we need more pics to judge if this is really something more than just faty pillar covered with silver ductape.

I m pondering implementation of fluid switch with passive trigger system corresponding with exhaust flow (hint: you cannot had any exhaust holes except exit one).

Let say triggering sys when is engine on limmiter on 13/14/15 RPMs? That would takes some clever and insane PU mappings to make this work and even more important drivable.

Some sketches (sorry for crappy pic):

http://i.imgur.com/hiT7iUV.jpg
+better sideview
http://i.imgur.com/jBQutiA.jpg

Legend:
1. DRD periscope duct
2. exhaust pipe
3.small outlet like in last interpretation
4. conventional 2nd DRD duct tube (bigger one)

Just speculate for sharing ideas!
Problem with this idea is that the pressure switch is just that. For this to work in the exhaust it would have to be based off of mass flow going through the exhaust, not revolutions. This creates two problems.
1. Placing a pressure switch in the exhaust like this will invariably create back pressure on the turbo and engine reducing efficiency and keeping more thermal energy in the engine potentially reducing the margin of error for failure.
2. With the old N/A engines, basing it off of mass flow may have been possible as those engines largely had a higher mass flow the higher the revs were up to the red-line. With these new engines the power band is very flat after about 10,000 rpm with mass flow staying about the same. That pretty much rules out the idea of having a switch there.

jmy
jmy

Blackout

Cooling grills only on the left sidepod... like many previous Enstone cars

Alonso Fan

scarbs wrote:http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... 24x437.jpg
There certainly appears to be a square edge above the NII on the GENII logo.

The black item below the logo is just the access hatch for PVRS, pre heating systems etc, they just havent put the decals over it.
just a reflection.(?) you can tell by the red edge of the genii logo next to the barge board, it's not square...

:)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Blackout

Racecar Engineering also understands from sources within the team that the E22 has a ver clever mechanism for transmitting torque from the power unit to the transmission, which offere much greater performance than others seen by some team suppliers.
AMuS has reported a similar rumor :-k

Is a similar solution feasable in 2014 ?
http://vandynesuperturbo.com/technology.html
A kinda secondary TERS : P

aleks_ader

Blackout wrote:
Racecar Engineering also understands from sources within the team that the E22 has a ver clever mechanism for transmitting torque from the power unit to the transmission, which offere much greater performance than others seen by some team suppliers.
AMuS has reported a similar rumor :-k

Is a similar solution feasable in 2014 ?
http://vandynesuperturbo.com/technology.html
A kinda secondary TERS : P
Not only feasable, but all teams use it. And that is ERS-K +ERS-H. And in addition direct mehanical link is forbiden, cuz FIA suport electro componding.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Blackout

I know there is a Kers and a Ters already :mrgreen: but are you sure it is forbidden to link the turbine to someting else mechanically ?

RicerDude

Re:

Looks like a very large cooling outlet at the back of the side pods. You can see the shadow from the undercut.

autogyro
autogyro

Not only feasable, but all teams use it. And that is ERS-K +ERS-H. And in addition direct mehanical link is forbiden, cuz FIA suport electro componding.
Why bother with a torque sapping CVT transmission with all the extra weight of a drive system, when you can just as easily feed the recovered energy from the turbo and feed it as electric power to the motor.generator on the nose of the crankshaft?

It is simply a control issue of balancing input and output electrical energy from the Hers motor/generator to maintain turbine rpm and recovery efficiency.

Excess recovered energy goes to the battery/super cap storage.

Its not exactly brain surgery.