2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Abarth

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

aleks_ader wrote:
Abarth wrote:I
OTOH, back when I was involved in design and project management and were doing FMEA, I always said that we will never have enough fantasy to figure out all troubles ahead.
And I was always proven right, unfortunately... :wink:
Sorry! What the abbreviation FMEA stads for?
Uuups, sorry...
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis, a method where you are analyzing a system, subsystem or whatever functional element. You systematically go though every aspect and try to write down possible failures, failure modes and causes.
Each of these failure modes get a probability rating (how probable is the specific failure), a severity rating (what happens when it fails, how severe is it?) and a detection rating (can a failed part/system) be detected before or will you detect it only when it fails to function, which is bad.
We multiplied the ratings given, and all failure modes with a high rating had to be eliminated via design or eg. controls in the production.

We made extensive FMEA just to learn that exactly one failure mode no one could imagine took place....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_mo ... s_analysis

langwadt
langwadt

321apex wrote:
langwadt wrote: yes WRC runs a 34mm air restrictor on the inlet, limiting the power to 300 something or there about

F1 runs a 100kg/h fuel restriction limiting the power to 500-600 depending on how they can use it

in both cases it has the effect of cutting the top of the normally peaky power curve of a highly tuned engine
making it mostly flat in the range where an unrestricted engine could have made more power but is limited
by the fuel or air limit

Forgive me for saying it explicitly, but it is rather misguided to compare air limited WRC engine to fuel limited F1 engine. Those two methods of power limitation are quite different and carry with them different operational and performance implications. At this point, since we clarified this, I would agree with the statements you made if we are speaking about an orifice restricted engine - with boost you can move pwr/tq characteristics.

My remarks however about relatively "immovable" nature of TQ and PWR peaks along RPM axis concerned the type of engine that is not air restricted and as such it responds to operational factors differently. F1 engines ARE NOT restricted by an orifice and I maintain what I said prior in reference to that.

If necessary I'd be glad to explain why.

yes please explain

321apex
321apex

As a general content on the subject, I would like to share the following:
http://www.google.pl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 5280,d.ZGU

321apex
321apex

langwadt wrote:
321apex wrote:
langwadt wrote: yes WRC runs a 34mm air restrictor on the inlet, limiting the power to 300 something or there about

F1 runs a 100kg/h fuel restriction limiting the power to 500-600 depending on how they can use it

in both cases it has the effect of cutting the top of the normally peaky power curve of a highly tuned engine
making it mostly flat in the range where an unrestricted engine could have made more power but is limited
by the fuel or air limit

Forgive me for saying it explicitly, but it is rather misguided to compare air limited WRC engine to fuel limited F1 engine. Those two methods of power limitation are quite different and carry with them different operational and performance implications. At this point, since we clarified this, I would agree with the statements you made if we are speaking about an orifice restricted engine - with boost you can move pwr/tq characteristics.

My remarks however about relatively "immovable" nature of TQ and PWR peaks along RPM axis concerned the type of engine that is not air restricted and as such it responds to operational factors differently. F1 engines ARE NOT restricted by an orifice and I maintain what I said prior in reference to that.

If necessary I'd be glad to explain why.

yes please explain
- WRC rally formula is based upon restricting the air flow RATE into the engine.
- F1 limits the fuel flow RATE as well as the QUANTITY consumed.
These are fundamental differences, which set the optimization logic and consequently control methods apart.

- WRC car does not carry the air on board and since it is not limited by the amount of fuel it burns, it can be wasteful with the fuel. Typical WRC rally car with 34mm restricting orifice produces theoretically 300HP at it's peak RPM, but it can make 400HP or more at lower engine speed. Comparing both instances, approximately the same amount of air and fuel is used with 25% less power output. When you look at BSFC when 300HP are produced vs 400HP you notice how great is the efficiency difference all due to pumping losses.
- F1 car has to carry the whole fuel amount on board. If the engine is especially efficient the competitor may gain a weight benefit of carrying less of it for the race distance. How much is 10 kg worth a lap ? 0.2-0.4s on average I think. Monza could be challenging to even finish the distance with allotted fuel.

- WRC drives on public roads, carries little speed around corners, has 2 less gears and must have a much wider operating rev range 2000-7000 RPM, which is about 71% of total 0-7000.
- F1 car will use no more than 3000 RPM operational window and if we assume 12500 RPM as a practical operational limit, then it will operate within 9500-12500RPM widow, which is 24% of of total operating range.

- WRC engineering job is to play out all tricks out of the toolbox (including wasting fuel), to achieve the sort of boost characteristics using, spark retardation, etc. to always have the traction/driveability demanded amount of boost on tap in this 2000-7000 RPM range
- F1 engine must always operate at it's most efficient possible BSFC

This is why, fundamentally the rev range in F1 will not be arbitrary and they will either make the engine run all day at 12.5k or 15k RPM - but not both. The only way to achieve optimum, average BSFC for the operating rev range is to FIX this range and subordinate all other aspects of the engine to it.

In closing, I would like to draw your attention to some fundamentals which guide the preformance limits of any engine that combusts oxygen from the atmosphere.

As you know engines are air limited pumps. "Choked flow" sets the limit to ingest air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow

Specifically in Otto cycle engines, there is a key relationship between the flow of air thru the curtain area between valve and seat & piston speed on it's way down the intake stroke. This piston speed is proportional to the engine speed. You can read more about it in the following link on pages 252-254:
http://books.google.pl/books?id=UtxI5gX ... ne&f=false

In cylinder head design, when the sizing selection takes place, certain parameters must be established in hardware, which will later support the sort of performance we are seeking. Specifically, when a duct of an inlet/exhaust port is being defined, its flow diameter is established as a consequence of target flow velocities as well as mass flow rate. Too big or too small of a port and you loose. Consequently, the operating engine speed is a fundamental parameter around which the valve diameter and shapes, cam timing and lift are decided upon.

So this is why, IMHO :D the engine makers will pick a specific operating rev range of their engines and optimize the BSFC within that range to maximize fuel efficiency.
Last edited by 321apex on 17 Feb 2014, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F14T

Nice sounds of the turbo and the H turning down when the car stops.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

beelsebob
beelsebob

stefan_ wrote:Nice sounds of the turbo and the H turning down when the car stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3hxI0IaAPk
I don't understand why everyone is amazed at the high pitched squeal slowly dropping in pitch after the car stops. This is a normal sound to anyone who's even driven a road car with a turbo engine. Heck, my VW Jetta makes that sound, obviously not to that extent, but it makes that exact sound. All it is is a very high rpm pair of fans slowing down over time, nothing amazing.

Sebp

stefan_ wrote:Nice sounds of the turbo and the H turning down when the car stops.

Haha, welcome back fifty(insert-number-here)bucks!
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

aleks_ader

i m wondering how teams solve the lubrication after engine main oil pump (or hydraulic or even for TURBO solely) stops (like on video above when is engine shut down)? The plain bearing are the most vulnerable on stooping when the oil film (viscosity friction speed is to low) level drops and the metals "touch" each others. that cause some serious wear or unwanted damage of bearings?

So how is that resolved in racing cars, beacuse im assume that if you need 100 000 RPM turbocharger last for 5 races and dont want to loose performance or even had severe failure due vibrations caused by that? Is just proper bearing design enough to minimize that issue.

Or they use trust ball bearing (they are hight speed JET verisons for turbines etc.) or even both (hybride =>ERS-H on ball berings + damp clutch + turbo on plain bearings). How is ERS-H supported?

Hydrostatic bearings should hold the forces from MGU-H right? I also the friction coefficient between plain and ball bearings should decide in favor first one. So engineers should look in that way when the PU most efficient (pump loos vs. friction ball bearing loose compromise)? So how other like in INDY or many odhers series engineer solve that...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

Well, for a caveman like me it's pretty neat to hear that coming from an F1 car, beelsebob.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

AnthonyG

beelsebob wrote:

I don't understand why everyone is amazed at the high pitched squeal slowly dropping in pitch after the car stops. This is a normal sound to anyone who's even driven a road car with a turbo engine. Heck, my VW Jetta makes that sound, obviously not to that extent, but it makes that exact sound. All it is is a very high rpm pair of fans slowing down over time, nothing amazing.
Isn't that just for a preservative reason? (As in it's bad for a turbo car to suddenly stop)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

beelsebob
beelsebob

AnthonyG wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

Isn't that just for a preservative reason? (As in it's bad for a turbo car to suddenly stop)
Yes and no... There's not really any reason to take energy out of the system either. The driver might put their foot down, and need that compression.

RA168E
RA168E

My question with the car going into the pits and shutting down so quick is what kind of stress does that put on the turbocharger? I have turbo cars of my own and i always let them wind down for 15 seconds in the driveway when i get home to prevent the turbo from cooking, assuming since this is a high strung fine tolerance engine, wouldnt they be wanting to take every precaution to save the turbo and prevent a failure that results in the need for an engine swap?

trinidefender
trinidefender

RA168E wrote:My question with the car going into the pits and shutting down so quick is what kind of stress does that put on the turbocharger? I have turbo cars of my own and i always let them wind down for 15 seconds in the driveway when i get home to prevent the turbo from cooking, assuming since this is a high strung fine tolerance engine, wouldnt they be wanting to take every precaution to save the turbo and prevent a failure that results in the need for an engine swap?
To that end I wouldn't be surprised if they keep oil circulating around the turbo and block to let it cool uniformly and at an acceptable rate. Remember these engines run dry sumps, they can have electrical oil pumps that can keep oil circulating even while the engine is switched off.

My old man's audi keeps the radiator fan on for about a minute or so when you turn the engine off after it has been driven hard, I assume this is to help with the uniform cooling of the engine and the turbo. This is how it came from the factory.

thisisatest
thisisatest

it's my understanding that high performance turbochargers have been using ball bearings for a little while. ceramics n such, im sure.
here is a chart, courtesy of the all-knowing Google:

from http://www.airpowersystems.com

diemaster
diemaster

The report said the engine features a 'cut-off' system that works with the direct injection to keep engine temperatures low and save crucial fuel.
The system means that, at times, the flow of fuel into the combustion chamber is stopped altogether and the engine is not 'sparked'.
how much save fuel with this system :?
Last edited by diemaster on 17 Feb 2014, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.