2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
sriraj1031
sriraj1031

Re: Ferrari F14T

RA168E wrote:My question with the car going into the pits and shutting down so quick is what kind of stress does that put on the turbocharger? I have turbo cars of my own and i always let them wind down for 15 seconds in the driveway when i get home to prevent the turbo from cooking, assuming since this is a high strung fine tolerance engine, wouldnt they be wanting to take every precaution to save the turbo and prevent a failure that results in the need for an engine swap?
there is a small device called turbo timer that we use for the same purpose which will keep the engine running even after we switch off and lock the vehicle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer

langwadt
langwadt

trinidefender wrote:
RA168E wrote:My question with the car going into the pits and shutting down so quick is what kind of stress does that put on the turbocharger? I have turbo cars of my own and i always let them wind down for 15 seconds in the driveway when i get home to prevent the turbo from cooking, assuming since this is a high strung fine tolerance engine, wouldnt they be wanting to take every precaution to save the turbo and prevent a failure that results in the need for an engine swap?
To that end I wouldn't be surprised if they keep oil circulating around the turbo and block to let it cool uniformly and at an acceptable rate. Remember these engines run dry sumps, they can have electrical oil pumps that can keep oil circulating even while the engine is switched off.
the rules require that the coolant and oil pumps be mechanically driven from the engine

Pilatus

beelsebob wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Nice sounds of the turbo and the H turning down when the car stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3hxI0IaAPk
I don't understand why everyone is amazed at the high pitched squeal slowly dropping in pitch after the car stops. This is a normal sound to anyone who's even driven a road car with a turbo engine. Heck, my VW Jetta makes that sound, obviously not to that extent, but it makes that exact sound. All it is is a very high rpm pair of fans slowing down over time, nothing amazing.
And just to mention - F14T turbocharger rotor is way bigger than turbocharger rotor on your Jetta, because rotor inertia is not a problem(due to MGU-H).

Bigger rotor, bigger inertia, bigger sound. :mrgreen:

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pilatus wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Nice sounds of the turbo and the H turning down when the car stops.

I don't understand why everyone is amazed at the high pitched squeal slowly dropping in pitch after the car stops. This is a normal sound to anyone who's even driven a road car with a turbo engine. Heck, my VW Jetta makes that sound, obviously not to that extent, but it makes that exact sound. All it is is a very high rpm pair of fans slowing down over time, nothing amazing.
And just to mention - F14T turbocharger rotor is way bigger than turbocharger rotor on your Jetta, because rotor inertia is not a problem(due to MGU-H).
Right, hence why the noise here is many times louder than any road car you'll hear.

Crabbia
Crabbia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKr3YMvMtAY

W05 makes a similar sound (obviously). Maybe the F14T is a bit longer lasting (you be the judge) but then its possible that the w05 wasn't at full boost pressure in this clip since it was only on its way out. Just trying to think if they are saying that this long sound is particular to the F14T.

Anyone else have a better video for comparison? One of the W05 coming in to the pits after a lap?

Side note: i could get used to these sounds in F1! love them!
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Del Boy
Del Boy

Pilatus wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

I think also that bigger rotors give cooler plenum temperatures

langwadt
langwadt

Pilatus wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

The turbo is bigger but I think what really makes a difference is the MGU-H, I'd expect the rotor to have much more inertia that the turbo magnets and iron are heavy

Abarth

it's a bit strange that they do not slow down the unit, as it could be quite easily done....
Obviously it's a no barainer.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Abarth wrote:it's a bit strange that they do not slow down the unit, as it could be quite easily done....
Maybe they are testing what would happen on a race weekend eg. during Qualifying if they don't have time to properly slow it down/cool it.

Its a test after all, they still can switch parts during tests if they blow, not so during race weekends (parc ferme etc.)

trinidefender
trinidefender

Abarth wrote:it's a bit strange that they do not slow down the unit, as it could be quite easily done....
What would the purpose of slowing the turbo shaft down be? There is nothing wrong with letting it spool down on its own.

Also as far as I know the compressor won't be that much bigger than normal, it will simply be designed to provide the appropriate mass flow and compression at a high efficiency. The turbine side however will probably be larger than normal simply because the mgu-h can spool the turbo and also using a large turbine can reduce back-pressure

beelsebob
beelsebob

Why is it a no brainer? Why would you slow it down, rather than leaving it spinning, ready to drive air into the engine if it's fired up? What benefit would you gain from slowing it down?

rscsr

trinidefender wrote:
What would the purpose of slowing the turbo shaft down be? There is nothing wrong with letting it spool down on its own.

Also as far as I know the compressor won't be that much bigger than normal, it will simply be designed to provide the appropriate mass flow and compression at a high efficiency. The turbine side however will probably be larger than normal simply because the mgu-h can spool the turbo and also using a large turbine can reduce back-pressure
They are not allowed to change the Turbo whenever they want. Therefore if they are using plain bearings it could be a problem at lower rpm of the Turbo because mixed friction could occur and this may lead to extensive wear.
http://www.me.metu.edu.tr/courses/me560 ... _Curve.jpg This shows pretty much how Friction is dependent on the rpms and therefore wear.

But on the other hand, I pretty much doubt that the Turbo shaft has a bearing at all. Because the MGU-H is directly flanged to it and with the size and weight relatively low it may be possible.

armyk
armyk

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Yes they are using ceramics ball bearings - the only one that can withstand that high RPM

Abarth

beelsebob wrote:
Why is it a no brainer? Why would you slow it down, rather than leaving it spinning, ready to drive air into the engine if it's fired up? What benefit would you gain from slowing it down?
Well obviously to them it's a no brainer to let it spool. Thats what I meant.

I would not do it knowing that i'm not able to continue to pump oil.
But as they know much more than I do, they do not chose to slow it fown with the motor/generator.

Abarth

To clarify: when the engine continues to idle, there is no problem of course. It's only strange to me to let it spool when the engine is shut down.