2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
321apex
321apex

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

mrluke wrote:
321apex wrote:To illustrate, if you have a turbocharged, unrestricted engine and you dyno test it at some level amount of boost across the rev band. As an example the engine may reach peak power at say 7000 RPM, after which it just falls off. If you were to strip away the turbocharger and if possible not altering inlet/exhaust tract geometry run that same engine as naturally aspirated.
The power peak would occur at just about the same RPM within +/-150 revs.
Okay so lets take the same engine, reprofile the boost so we have say 3 bar at 5krpm and 1bar at 7k. You are certain that more power will be made at 7k?
I never said that!
The point I was making is that the Mach index determines at which point an engine will start making less and less power at the peak. To make this argument understandable you must assume constant manifold pressure. At such condition, the airflow can not increase with increasing RPM, which adds internal friction (pumping + mechanical) as it rises.
mrluke wrote:A more practical / realistic example, you might have an engine with peak trq at 4krpm, NA it makes peak power between 4k-5k and tails off to an untroubled redline of 7k. By going FI you might still be building boost by 5k and could make peak power at 6-7krpm.

Running the same level of boost across the whole rev range would just accentuate the engines NA characterics, you cannot do this with a single turbo, especially a big one.
I am not sure if I understand your point, so if you could please rethink this point and rephrase it in a way that I can understand to provide you with my answer.

stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F14T

Del Boy wrote:
stefan_ wrote:
Mr.G wrote:Did somebody know what are the RPM of th MGU-H and the trubo charger?
The turbo spins at 100.000 RPM. The H is spinning at something less but I think this depends more on the circuit the're at.
Can you provide where you get these numbers from? Please
Brochures about the new engines & systems / interviews with engine people.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Del Boy
Del Boy

The turbo spins at 100.000 RPM. The H is spinning at something less but I think this depends more on the circuit the're at.[/quote]
Can you provide where you get these numbers from? Please[/quote]

Brochures about the new engines & systems / interviews with engine people.[/quote]
Stefan I really wanted to reference this information. I'm not disbelieving you but as we both know how secretive Formula 1 is I believe knowing the actual RPM of turbo & MGUH is very valuable information. I wouldn't want to quote the numbers you give unless I can verify them.

If you could point me in the direction of the 'Brochures' you mention I would appreciate it.

eslam1986
eslam1986

Del Boy wrote:
stefan_ wrote:
Mr.G wrote:Did somebody know what are the RPM of th MGU-H and the trubo charger?
The turbo spins at 100.000 RPM. The H is spinning at something less but I think this depends more on the circuit the're at.
Can you provide where you get these numbers from? Please
The rotational speed of the MGU-K may not exceed 50,000rpm.
The rotational speed of the MGU-H may not exceed 125,000rpm.
this no. from 2014 TECHNICAL REGULATION

neilbah
neilbah

http://www.renaultsportf1.com/How-that- ... ml?lang=fr
it says 100,000 here

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/car/rac ... explained/
125,000 here and also ferrari list the max 125,000 as well on the f14t tech specs

Del Boy
Del Boy

neilbah wrote:http://www.renaultsportf1.com/How-that- ... ml?lang=fr
it says 100,000 here

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/car/rac ... explained/
125,000 here and also ferrari list the max 125,000 as well on the f14t tech specs
Thanks for that it's interesting the McLaren and Ferrari numbers are just from the regulations. Whereas the Renault numbers appear to be nearer reality??? Will the engine manufacturers run the turbine as near to the limit as possible? As the turbine is essentially fixed (gas throat, geometry, nozzle) the rpm will be used to regulate boost pressure although I guess generator efficiency could play a part.

Mr.G

Thanks, I was looking for that, but I've had old copy of the regulations.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mr.G

In appendix 3 - The DC-DC converter may... From this it looks like they running DC links between MGUs...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

eslam1986
eslam1986

Mr.G wrote:In appendix 3 - The DC-DC converter may... From this it looks like they running DC links between MGUs...
The MGU-H produces alternative current, but the battery is continuous current so a highly complex convertor is needed

Mr.G

eslam1986 wrote:
Mr.G wrote:In appendix 3 - The DC-DC converter may... From this it looks like they running DC links between MGUs...
The MGU-H produces alternative current, but the battery is continuous current so a highly complex convertor is needed
Yes that's OK, but there was discussion about the wiring between them and as this is DC/DC the link to MGU-H will be probably too DC. There were also few mentions about DC measuring in the energy recuperation system. So I assume the MGUs have they're own DC/AC - AC/DC converters mounted directly on them and the wiring between the ES, ECU and MGUs is DC.

chip engineer
chip engineer

321apex wrote:...
The point I was making is that the Mach index determines at which point an engine will start making less and less power at the peak. To make this argument understandable you must assume constant manifold pressure. At such condition, the airflow can not increase with increasing RPM, which adds internal friction (pumping + mechanical) as it rises.
I still don't see how this makes the point that a wide power band is so difficult even in a 2014 F1 turbo engine.

Maybe oversimplifying: Just design the valves and cam timing for decent performance at 15000 rpm (no choked flow problem), then use whatever boost you need for full fuel flow power down to 10500 rpm (or even lower).

Of course, my statement says nothing about efficiency over the band, but the Cosworth simulations show very good efficiency from less than 9000 to about 14000 rpm. So going all the way to 15000 was not their choice, possibly for some of your reasons, but their power band is still very wide.

321apex
321apex

chip engineer wrote:
I still don't see how this makes the point that a wide power band is so difficult even in a 2014 F1 turbo engine.

Maybe oversimplifying: Just design the valves and cam timing for decent performance at 15000 rpm (no choked flow problem), then use whatever boost you need for full fuel flow power down to 10500 rpm (or even lower).

Of course, my statement says nothing about efficiency over the band, but the Cosworth simulations show very good efficiency from less than 9000 to about 14000 rpm. So going all the way to 15000 was not their choice, possibly for some of your reasons, but their power band is still very wide.
BMEP=IMEP-FMEP
BMEP -> torque at the crank
IMEP -> mechanical potential from combustion
FMEP -> all frictional losses, pumping, mechanical

The rules allow the following fuel flow:
9500 - 91 kg/h
10000 - 96
10500 - 100 = <<<-------GOLDEN POINT

The higher the engine speed with limited fuel, the higher are the friction losses (FMEP)... and LESS brake POWER. So ideal power peak is at 10500 RPM, however you must factor in the RPM spread for the gearing, which will force you to rev the engine in a zone of DIMINISHING FUEL efficiency [BSFC].

Engine speed of 15k RPM is the worst possible option. IMHO #-o

Think about this:
- Will an engine make more power at 11k or at 10k?
- How much less power will you make at 15k vs 11k? What will be your BSFC at 15k?

When those questions are answered with precision it is then possible to establish a workable power band spread for gear ratios and decide how high in the rev band it must be pushed.

321apex
321apex

Although over 2 years old, this piece still carries a lot of interesting content:
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_te ... _to_f1.htm

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

321apex wrote:BMEP=IMEP-FMEP
The higher the engine speed with limited fuel, the higher are the friction losses (FMEP)... and LESS brake POWER. So ideal power peak is at 10500 RPM, however you must factor in the RPM spread for the gearing, which will force you to rev the engine in a zone of DIMINISHING FUEL efficiency [BSFC].
Think about this:
- How much less power will you make at 15k vs 11k? What will be your BSFC at 15k?
whilst I agree that the engine will not work well over the whole 10500-15000 rpm range (I said so 18 months ago) ...
the friction losses will rise slower with increased rpm than the supercharging work will fall
12500-14500 rpm running could work very well in 2014 (partly because fuel is still freely available at rpm below this (to 10500)
but has no future as it's not compatible with backpressure operation of the turbine
which will be needed when fuel allocation is reduced in the future

btw your Raijput doesn't understand the Wright Turbo-Compound, or more importantly, the magneto

chip engineer
chip engineer

321apex wrote:
chip engineer wrote:

BMEP=IMEP-FMEP

The rules allow the following fuel flow:
9500 - 91 kg/h
10000 - 96
10500 - 100 = <<<-------GOLDEN POINT

Think about this:

When those questions are answered with precision it is then possible to establish a workable power band spread for gear ratios and decide how high in the rev band it must be pushed.

But, Apex, the original point you made was:
"What that means is that the power peak and torque become "cast in stone" as an event in rev range. By adding or subtracting boost you may move these peaks up or down in value but not much in RPM."

What I am arguing is that for a 2014 F1 turbo engine, that is definitely not true. In fact the opposite: fuel flow limits the power; you can't change the power at all (except minor efficiency changes). But you can operate almost at any rpm you want from 10500 to 15000.

Of course, efficiency (and therefore power) may be a little better at some rpm values than others, but according to the Cosworth simulations, the self-sustaining mode power is pretty flat from 11000 to 13000. If you had the Cosworth engine, this is the range you would like to use in qualifying.

For best efficiency (which is what matters in the race during times you are saving fuel), there could be a reason to go below 11000 rpm if:
1. the ICE has higher efficiency there (probably the case)
and
2. you do not need much MGU-H energy because you almost fully recharge the energy store under braking (probably not).

Otherwise, you want to run where the total efficiency (including MGU-H) is highest: 11000 to 13000 rpm (in the Cosworth case).

I think you are totally overlooking the importance of MGU-H power.
Last edited by chip engineer on 18 Feb 2014, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.