Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Crabbia wrote:
Thunders wrote:hmm that Exhaust indeed looks not Central. The Rear Picture on the last Page shows it aswell.
AFAIK that cant be legal. The exhaust must be on the centreline of the car.
No.

Thunder

AMuS thinks it isn't Central too.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Mr.G

Crabbia wrote:
Thunders wrote:hmm that Exhaust indeed looks not Central. The Rear Picture on the last Page shows it aswell.
AFAIK that cant be legal. The exhaust must be on the centreline of the car.
5.8.4 The last 150mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin-walled unobstructed right circular cylinder with its axis +/- 5° to the car centre line when viewed from above the car and between 0° and 5° (tail up) to the reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 150mm of the tailpipe.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Thunder

Don't know if it is the newest Version of the technical Regulations:

5.8.4 The last 150mm of any tailpipe must in its entirety :
a) Form a thin-walled unobstructed right circular cylinder with its axis +/- 5° to the car
centre line when viewed from above the car and between 0° and 5° (tail up) to the
reference plane when viewed from the side of the car. The entire circumference of the
exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the
rearmost extremity of the last 150mm of the tailpipe.
b) Be located between 350mm and 550mm above the reference plane.
c) Be located no more than 100mm from the car centre line.
d) Be positioned in order that the entire circumference of the exit of the tailpipe lies
between two vertical planes normal to the car centre line and which lie between
170mm and 185mm rearward of the rear wheel centre line.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

madly
madly

quidam wrote:From AMUS :
It looks like they try to emulate beam wing at that hude hot air exit. At the and there are 2 empty holes like it was prepared for attaching something longer here..

Holm86

I wrote something in this thread about off centre exhausts : http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 14+exhaust

tony77g
tony77g

Holm86

Great photo tony. This confirms to me that the exhaust is off centre. And the central pillars is also slightly bend to the other side.

Blackout

Shrieker

stefan_ wrote:Winter Testing 2014 - Session 2, Day 1 - Bahrain (19.02.2014)
http://i.imgur.com/vsHVRnR.jpg
Ther car looks fantastic from this angle...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Alonso Fan

I think that the exhaust is in the centre, its just that on this picture, Image, the exhaust seems further inside the bodywork, but in the centre, and in this picture, Image it is definitely in the centre but has the pipe pertruding out of the bodywork more

that's my thoughts :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

painkiller
painkiller

Alonso Fan wrote:I think that the exhaust is in the centre, its just that on this picture, http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/1 ... 9a_800.jpg , the exhaust seems further inside the bodywork, but in the centre, and in this picture, http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/For ... 755959.jpg it is definitely in the centre but has the pipe pertruding out of the bodywork more

if you look on the space between exhaust and bodywork on th left and right side of the exhaust it couldn´t be in the center. also on the picture from the left side the exhaust is right to the middle so its not the perspective.

RZS10

painkiller wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:I think that the exhaust is in the centre, its just that on this picture, http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/2/1 ... 9a_800.jpg , the exhaust seems further inside the bodywork, but in the centre, and in this picture, http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/For ... 755959.jpg it is definitely in the centre but has the pipe pertruding out of the bodywork more

if you look on the space between exhaust and bodywork on th left and right side of the exhaust it couldn´t be in the center. also on the picture from the left side the exhaust is right to the middle so its not the perspective.
Yep, it's fairly easy to see it's not center ... look here: green line is in the center of the rear wing where the central wing support is attached to the wing, the support makes room for the exhaust (red line) and is clearly attached to the left side of the crash strucutre (lower red circle) ... if the exhaust was center the right red circle would need to cross the green line at some point:

turbof1

Holm86 wrote:
Great photo tony. This confirms to me that the exhaust is off centre. And the central pillars is also slightly bend to the other side.
It really looks nothing more then a crappy solution to have no bodywork, the central rear wing support, in the path of the exhaust. Infact both the support and the exhaust are off centre.

I'm sorry to say this, but it looks very amateuristic.
#AeroFrodo

Callum

Am I not right in thinking that there was a rule that stated that the exhaust exit had to be along the centreline of the car?

Maybe they have said the 'centreline' is from the front nose tip straight back, parallel to the track of the car...?