Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nacho
nacho

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

I have to say I don't understand the gain in their nose design. :?:

Gridlock

Gives their drivers two chances to knock the nose off ;)

RZS10

Gridlock wrote:Gives their drivers two chances to knock the nose off ;)
Haha, good one ... they'll be able to rip off McLarens suspension on both sides of the crash structure without damaging their front wing :D

Nah ... they just want to get as much air under the nose as possible, the tusks might get thinner if they manage to get them through crash tests (or would the cross section get too small then?)

It's just a different approach, Allison already said there's no big difference between the noses aero-wise

turbof1

RZS10 wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Gives their drivers two chances to knock the nose off ;)
Haha, good one ... they'll be able to rip off McLarens suspension on both sides of the crash structure without damaging their front wing :D

Nah ... they just want to get as much air under the nose as possible, the tusks might get thinner if they manage to get them through crash tests (or would the cross section get too small then?)

It's just a different approach, Allison already said there's no big difference between the noses aero-wise
The tusks can't get much thinner (if any) due the longer tusk needs to be 9000mm² 50mm behind the tip. In sake of symmetry, the shorter one needs to be that too.

Of course, further back they can remove crash structure again. But the tip is probably at the limit.
#AeroFrodo

DAMNINice

I know... All of you are right when you say "they know what they are doing" and last years car was fast, too.

but there are some things I don´t understand @ Lotus.

Last year they drove their "ears" through the year and never ever opened them to use the passive DRS.
Yes they maybe included the rollhoop in it but they should have designed it in a way where they could have used another engine cover without those ears.
they (for sure) added drag, wheight high up at the car and disrupted the airflow to the rear wing.
Maybe it wasn´t a big disadvantage but for sure it was.

and now... this year (well... maybe a clever idea with the nose).. WTF did they think about the exhaust and rear wing mount desgn??

If you look closely at the image you can see that the exhaust has those two curves to let it end asymetrically on the right side of the car.
And when I know one thing about Turbo engines then it´s that you want as small back pressure as possible.
this bend in the exhaust will definitelly add backpressure.
They could have easily made an attempt like RedBull to use a small wingmount AND use a straight exhaust.

Maybe the backpressure disadvantage is small. But also I think that an exhaust driven Monkey seat will be complicated to use asymmetrically under the rear wing.

I don´t get it why they don´t have the feeling for such simple and small things and the perfection in such areas and otherwise they have other genius ideas.
REal men play with twins!

turbof1

Again my opinion is that this is a very crappy solution. You'll get upwash differences between left and right beneath the rear wing, causing inconsistent downforce.

They took more time then other times prepping the car. The least they could have done was handling that area better.
#AeroFrodo

wesley123
wesley123

The exhaust will hardly have an effect on the upwash of the rear wing. It is positioned in such a way that it doesn't. The effect it has is negligible.

I really don't get the hate on this.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Thunder

@wesley123: Look at that Pic posted by Scarbs.

And that's without Monkey Seat. Pretty Inpressive where these Exhaust Gases REALLY go.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That's just diffuser upwash. You see it all the time with the rooster tails in the wet.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

stefan_
stefan_

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2014

Lotus E22 official presentation:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Owen.C93 wrote:That's just diffuser upwash. You see it all the time with the rooster tails in the wet.
Too narrow a field to be the diffuser. The path and size of the haze point to the exhaust
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

20.02.2014 - Lotus E22 official presentation:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

wesley123
wesley123

Thunders wrote:@wesley123: Look at that Pic posted by Scarbs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgsj6TJCMAAqRjW.jpg:large

And that's without Monkey Seat. Pretty Inpressive where these Exhaust Gases REALLY go.
Yeah that tends to happen when there is a huge low pressure zone below the rear wing. It doesn't go anywhere near the rear wing, it is just affected by the low pressure region, which is a normal thing to happen.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

turbof1 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:That's just diffuser upwash. You see it all the time with the rooster tails in the wet.
Too narrow a field to be the diffuser. The path and size of the haze point to the exhaust
Yes it's the upwash moving the exhaust. The exhaust isn't doing anything.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

turbof1

It work in conjunction to eachother. And it does make it a very important factor for the rear wing, influencing it the very least.
#AeroFrodo