2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

AMUS writes in their ticker:

"Ferrari crossing the finish line with a speed of 291,1km/h, Williams achieved 293,4km/h."

The corresponding speeds from 2013 are 287,1km/h from the race and 290,1km/h from qualifying. These speeds were recorded at the start-finish line and are not the maximum speeds.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

rjsa
rjsa

http://twitter.com/autosportlive/status ... 7910318080 LOL, I stand corrected.

Now what? Too fast? Safety issues?

Gridlock

Torque + 8 gears = fastest Monza for a while? :twisted:

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Gridlock wrote:Torque + 8 gears = fastest Monza for a while? :twisted:
Seems very likely:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 05#p483505
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

FrukostScones

Taking the fastest lap of a race as reference is crap.
Even the pole time is not perfect, like ROS was over half a second quicker in testing than on Pole in Barcelona last year.
Depending on circuit we will see 3-6 seconds slower pole lap times in the first races I think. Top Speed will be higher because of reasons we know.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

rjsa
rjsa

It's over, let it go.

PlatinumZealot

Different conditions different tyres...

Does anyone remember those fetta cheese Pirellies melting away after half a lap in last years Bhrain grand prix? Apples and oranges I say.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Andres125sx

FrukostScones wrote:Taking the fastest lap of a race as reference is crap.
Even the pole time is not perfect, like ROS was over half a second quicker in testing than on Pole in Barcelona last year.
Depending on circuit we will see 3-6 seconds slower pole lap times in the first races I think. Top Speed will be higher because of reasons we know.
May I ask about those reasons?

I was thinking with the mandatory fixed gear ratio they can´t choose the perfect one for Monza because they have to use it on more tracks, so the ratio should be shorter and the top speed lower...

edit: I´ve just realiced you didn´t mention Monza, and the top speed may be lower on Monza but higher on the rest of the tracks because they will never hit the limiter

beelsebob
beelsebob

Andres125sx wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Taking the fastest lap of a race as reference is crap.
May I ask about those reasons?

I was thinking with the mandatory fixed gear ratio they can´t choose the perfect one for Monza because they have to use it on more tracks, so the ratio should be shorter and the top speed lower...

edit: I´ve just realiced you didn´t mention Monza, and the top speed may be lower on Monza but higher on the rest of the tracks because they will never hit the limiter
And because they have more power, and because they have less drag, and because they have a flatter torque curve.

Juzh

beelsebob wrote: And because they have more power, and because they have less drag, and because they have a flatter torque curve.
Monza spec cars had so little DF on them I doubt they'll have even less in 2014. Monza is flat out for ~65s a lap. You only have 33s of peak power available, after that you much less than V8s.

Maxion
Maxion

Juzh wrote:
beelsebob wrote: And because they have more power, and because they have less drag, and because they have a flatter torque curve.
Monza spec cars had so little DF on them I doubt they'll have even less in 2014. Monza is flat out for ~65s a lap. You only have 33s of peak power available, after that you much less than V8s.
That's not really true. They're not limited to 33s of ERS output, they're limited to 4MJ per lap. The teams can choose how and when to apply that energy. They can spread the use out over a whole lap or use it at specific points in the rev range on specific gears to maximize acceleration or top speed and so forth.

Source:

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/under ... /8763.html

turbof1

Maxion wrote:
Juzh wrote:
That's not really true. They're not limited to 33s of ERS output, they're limited to 4MJ per lap. The teams can choose how and when to apply that energy. They can spread the use out over a whole lap or use it at specific points in the rev range on specific gears to maximize acceleration or top speed and so forth.

Source:

There are 2 limits: 160hp and 4MJ. Hence why the 33,33s came up.

Do note you aren't asking power from the MGU-K when off throttle. On a circuit like Monte Carlo you'll never get to 33,33s. If it weren't for the 2MJ recovery limit (on the mgu-k only, so just maybe the mgu-h can cover up the other 2MJ), you could just cruise around on full power lap after lap.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

Maxion wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Source:

Yes, i know that. But surely teams will opt for maximum acceleration instead of prolonged one but with less power.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Juzh wrote:
Maxion wrote:That's not really true. They're not limited to 33s of ERS output, they're limited to 4MJ per lap. The teams can choose how and when to apply that energy. They can spread the use out over a whole lap or use it at specific points in the rev range on specific gears to maximize acceleration or top speed and so forth.

Source:

Yes, i know that. But surely teams will opt for maximum acceleration instead of prolonged one but with less power.
Actually, at monza, I suspect they'll use it towards the end of straights for top speed, because they will be traction limited under acceleration thanks to the flatter torque curve. I suspect ERS will be used as a "once beyond 6th gear" device there.

Gridlock

It's not actually one fixed set of ratios for the entire season, is it? They get to swap one, around halfway through the year? So they'll have optimised two subtly different sets of ratios - and if your car were, I don't know, red? Maybe you'll have an 8th gear in there just for Monza?