Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

turbof1 wrote:It work in conjunction to eachother. And it does make it a very important factor for the rear wing, influencing it the very least.
No, it works the other way around, the rear wing is influencing the gas flow. A simple look at the exhaust position will show that it is way too far backwards and not at a sufficient enough angle to actually influence the rear wing.

What you are seeing in the Sauber image is the gas flow expanding and pulled upwards by the low pressure of the rear wing, nothing more, nothing less.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pup
Pup

The low pressure behind the rear wing does pull the exhaust flow upwards, but the exhaust is in itself a low pressure flow. So pulling that flow up also pulls air from the diffuser zone; which is also a low pressure zone, so you could describe it as working the other direction as well. So I believe Turbo is correct in that it all works together.

Assuming it's working. The idea is to prevent as best you can the air coming from over the side pods from essentially splitting this low pressure area in two.

That's my understanding, at least.

turbof1

Except that the exhaust gasses energizes the airflow underneath the rear wing, accelerating it and dropping pressure even further. That is very important infact.

It's like pup said; it works as a stepping stone between the diffuser and the rear wing.
#AeroFrodo

aleks_ader

turbof1 wrote:Except that the exhaust gasses energizes the airflow underneath the rear wing, accelerating it and dropping pressure even further. That is very important infact.

It's like pup said; it works as a stepping stone between the diffuser and the rear wing.
And even more it hepls attach the flow and sets the stall point higher on the latter... Even if we add monkey seat you get preatty neat way how control rear dowforce (rear wing and dififfuzor) in low and hight speed corners.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

SRK
SRK

Exhaust is boring... but this! :shock:

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Is equally?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 2, Day 2 - Bahrain (20.02.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

Edit

Blackout

SRK wrote:Exhaust is boring... but this! :shock:
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/0x0/ ... 0fe536.jpg
Yeah, looks like the lower rear part of the gearbox is almost floating over the floor and the diffuser. The bodywork under it looks extremley thin and short.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Blackout wrote:
SRK wrote:Exhaust is boring... but this! :shock:
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/0x0/ ... 0fe536.jpg
Yeah, looks like the lower rear part of the gearbox is almost floating over the floor and the diffuser. The bodywork under it looks extremley thin and short.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 633.61.jpg
I'll be surprised if this nose doesn't create a bottleneck of turbulent air between the tusks when the car is in yaw.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Blackout

Seems logical.
But according to AMuS, their developping an even more extreme version fo this nose which has much longer tusks/a much shorter crash strcuture in front of the bulkhead :!:

atlantis
atlantis

The front brakes structure is really interesting.

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 2, Day 3 - Bahrain (21.02.2014)

Last edited by stefan_ on 21 Feb 2014, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

korzeniow
korzeniow

hoping for better luck today....
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Godius

What's that outlet 'chimney' above the exhaust hole for? I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but I can't seem to find it back in this topic, maybe I'm unable to find it back because I don't know the proper terminology for it.