Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Godius wrote:What's that outlet 'chimney' above the exhaust hole for? I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but I can't seem to find it back in this topic, maybe I'm unable to find it back because I don't know the proper terminology for it.
Might be for the Turbo's cooling. Dont know what it cools exactly (the compressor? the bearings oil?) but many cars have an air outlet in that area near the turbo (Ferrari, Merc etc) or an inlet (Sauber, Marussia etc) while the E22 has both.

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 2, Day 3 - Bahrain (21.02.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

zoro_f1

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

emmepi27
emmepi27

Very nice view of E22's nose with vanity panel on the 525 mm

techF1LES

Great shot (credits to Auto Motor und Sport); also note the rear face of the front wing.

Vertical vane appears to be a lot more robust than last year - very complex and quite aggressively bend outboard, probably to enhance FWEP outwash.

atanatizante

I think they have the most developed front brake system vane of all ...
And this could be another big development area this year for everybody ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Blackout

Do you have a higher res version of this pic?

Blackout

Is the strange sound we hear between 0:08 and 0:11 coming from the E22 :?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzevJyU2mN8

Edit: No I think it's just a Merc engine we hear in the background :lol:

W05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpm3qdILp0
F14 T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKgFXgIEpqg
RB10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNc9Jb-IMx4

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 2, Day 4 - Bahrain (22.02.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

FrukostScones

MAL WDC you heard it here first (thx Bernie).
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

FrukostScones wrote:MAL WDC you heard it here first (thx Bernie).
nah, he'll crash that car into the barriers WAYY too much. Romain learned to fix his issues - Pastor didn't yet,
still the hothead. Pastor has the potential - but like romain, before fixing his 'problems', the potential was there,
but it didn't come to play.

Romain showed he was able to get that lotus to the front and battle, some very respectable drives, showing guts
too. Still upset he got that penalty for overtaking massa in that bold move.

Romain WDC. that would be a huge piss on Bouillier, not to be able to wave the french flag being at Mclaren now.

I see a prost-senna or hamilton-alonso thing happening between Romain and Pastor. Unfortunately, neither are of the same quality material lol.

this year will be exciting!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 2, Day 4 - Bahrain (22.02.2014)

briant1
briant1

What is the going theory on that little additional air-exit on the engine cover above the main exit and exhaust?

Whatever comes out of there will affect the important air-stream to the underside of the rear wing. And since it can't be powerful exhaust gases but rather has to be waste-air (in my opinion), this would have a negative effect on rear-wing efficiency (clean air is better)... so why do it?

aleks_ader

briant1 wrote:What is the going theory on that little additional air-exit on the engine cover above the main exit and exhaust?

Whatever comes out of there will affect the important air-stream to the underside of the rear wing. And since it can't be powerful exhaust gases but rather has to be waste-air (in my opinion), this would have a negative effect on rear-wing efficiency (clean air is better)... so why do it?
If you think with "waste-air" wastegate gas? That is forbidden in rules. All gases from entry into turbine must exit in single pipe...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna