Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
eslam1986
eslam1986

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

- Some rumours say that the Red Bull gearbox is not able to deal with the savage torque delivery of the unrefined Renault engine .
- Lotus ran "full power" in Bahrain, only Renault team not to use Red Bull gearbox + conservative cooling solutions

briant1
briant1

aleks_ader wrote:
briant1 wrote:What is the going theory on that little additional air-exit on the engine cover above the main exit and exhaust?

Whatever comes out of there will affect the important air-stream to the underside of the rear wing. And since it can't be powerful exhaust gases but rather has to be waste-air (in my opinion), this would have a negative effect on rear-wing efficiency (clean air is better)... so why do it?
If you think with "waste-air" wastegate gas? That is forbidden in rules. All gases from entry into turbine must exit in single pipe...
Sorry, I just meant turbulent air that's been through radiators and such... that can be the only thing coming out of there, right? And if that's so, then I don't understand the purpose since it would make the rear wing less efficient compared to a clean stream of air. Or is this the 2014 version of their rear wing drag reduction device? Would releasing turbulent air out of that opening at high speeds cut downforce AND drag?

snorri788
snorri788

Could it just be used for evacuating excess heat from under the bodywork, much like the shark gills seen on other cars (McLaren etc.). It may also be used for blowing the rear wing at high speed. Also explains why the team have an air blower connected when it is in the pits - using it to cool the engine/turbo without being directly connected?

Holm86

Lotus: 'twin-tusk' nose advantage made clear during F1 2014 testing
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112627

beelsebob
beelsebob

Holm86 wrote:
No team will every admit that something is a good design during testing if it really is. My prediction is that Lotus actually didn't make their numbers, and will be developing a Mercedes/Ferrari style nose.

Blackout

Anyway, Permane said the numbers* they saw match the wind tunnel numbers (he's means the whole car) and that they are very confident. He even compared the E22's fast turn speed with the best.
Not only the numbers but also the airflow behaviour obviously.
Last edited by Blackout on 24 Feb 2014, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

iotar__

beelsebob wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
No team will every admit that something is a good design during testing if it really is. My prediction is that Lotus actually didn't make their numbers, and will be developing a Mercedes/Ferrari style nose.
Like Mercedes engine/ERS (or even the whole car - "exceeding expectations")? I heard plenty people talking about it but it's good to know that in fact it sucks. Interesting logic.
"I know some teams had the luck to have visibility [of the idea] quite early and I thought there might have been one or two teams maybe that would have tried it and developed it."The one thing that is difficult with the nose is that it is quite hard to structurally develop and crash test it. It might be that they were already on a [different] path where it was too late to develop that kind of nose."
Is he talking about Ferrari, or should I say team of their former technical director as the convention is not to utter teams' names e.g. "my former team"?

Neno
Neno

beelsebob wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
they actually do need it, mostly because of search for main sponsor. They need make good hype about their car. They need money to devolop the car over season and putting good use of words for their car could help them get money. Last year they had different "modest" approach as they had pretty good car, they had even result and at the end it didn't pay off is it?

Holm86

Neno wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Lotus: 'twin-tusk' nose advantage made clear during F1 2014 testing

they actually do need it, mostly because of search for main sponsor. They need make good hype about their car. They need money to devolop the car over season and putting good use of words for their car could help them get money. Last year they had different "modest" approach as they had pretty good car, they had even result and at the end it didn't pay off is it?
I agree Neno. I also just believe they are sponsor fishing. The same with Lopez claiming that the engineers don't believe the extreme figures the car makes in the windtunnel. You don't say something like that. You just shut up and let the car do the talking normally. This is just for the sake of sponsors.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Neno wrote:
beelsebob wrote:No team will every admit that something is a good design during testing if it really is. My prediction is that Lotus actually didn't make their numbers, and will be developing a Mercedes/Ferrari style nose.
Good point, +1. Though the search for a sponsor does reduce this to rather a non-statement – they will say it's great no matter what.

iotar__

Holm86 wrote: I agree Neno. I also just believe they are sponsor fishing. The same with Lopez claiming that the engineers don't believe the extreme figures the car makes in the windtunnel. You don't say something like that. You just shut up and let the car do the talking normally. This is just for the sake of sponsors.
I didn't know wishful thinking is part of features of the car. Yep, they designed problematic (crash tests), aggressive front wing long time ago, measured it (and the whole car model) in wind tunnel, then measured it on track to confirm that the data just to attract sponsors. Do you think Allison talking about noses some time ago was to scare away sponsors from teams or maybe explain to public their choice - especially stressing it's not a not crucial feature?

This way you can turn any information about any team into "fishing for sponsors" noise. Or maybe the only ones you'd rather not see turn out to be true? Nevermind the logic that two or three obscure in a real world quotes won't have any practical effect on any sponsor deal weeks before the start of the season. They also said they were way off pace and behind the schedule also to attract sponsors - or maybe it equalised itself?

Blackout

Holm86 wrote: I agree Neno. I also just believe they are sponsor fishing. The same with Lopez claiming that the engineers don't believe the extreme figures the car makes in the windtunnel. You don't say something like that. You just shut up and let the car do the talking normally. This is just for the sake of sponsors.
Lopez aside, actually it's omnicorse who said that the E22 windtunnel numbers were very good and Omnicorse is basing its scoops mainly on Lotus ex-employees informations. Many of Ominocros's scoops were proven true lately.
Lopez just confrimed it.
Ominicorse, RacecarEngineering and AMuS reported many interessant news based on recent former Lotus employees indiscretions.

Holm86

Blackout wrote:
Lopez aside, actually it's omnicorse who said that the E22 windtunnel numbers were very good and Omnicorse is basing its scoops mainly on Lotus ex-employees informations. Many of Ominocros's scoops were proven true lately.
Lopez just confrimed it.
Ominicorse, RacecarEngineering and AMuS reported many interessant news based on recent former Lotus employees indiscretions.
But again with so many people leaving Lotus many other teams knew about this nose. If it was worth much at least another team would have come up with a similar solution?? But then again something could show up later. As I said back when the first cars was revealed I suspect that noses will be one of the key development factors this year.

Alonso Fan

even if the car did show 'extreme numbers' in the wind tunnel, its no good if its only got half an engine...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

dren

But who's to say that the other teams don't have equally impressive numbers?
Honda!