Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
aral
aral

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

WilliamsF1 wrote:Surprised that this engine change was done without a test mule other than probably the Ferrari which we saw in December. The teams could have modified a car for the manufacturer to test as the are not covered by the testing agreement.
Renault did in fact use a test mule. They had the engine in the back of a WSR 3.5. And maybe this is what was heard in Spain?

cmehle
cmehle

gilgen wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Surprised that this engine change was done without a test mule other than probably the Ferrari which we saw in December. The teams could have modified a car for the manufacturer to test as the are not covered by the testing agreement.
Renault did in fact use a test mule. They had the engine in the back of a WSR 3.5. And maybe this is what was heard in Spain?
Ah, now i remember your post on this some while ago! What's your source for the WSR test mule?

Crabbia
Crabbia

Forgive my ignorance but what is WSR?
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

cmehle
cmehle

I guess he is referring to a World Series Renault car http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_by_Renault

Holm86

cmehle wrote:
gilgen wrote:
Ah, now i remember your post on this some while ago! What's your source for the WSR test mule?
I think I was the one who posted that. I posted that there was rumors that Renault had used a formula renault car at Magny Cours fitted with the V6 engine. This was back when the video of the Ferrari was discussed.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... rs#p466782

cmehle
cmehle

ok, sry :) From a Formula Renault to WSR in a couple of weeks ^^
Do you remember where that rumor originated from?

Holm86

cmehle wrote:ok, sry :) From a Formula Renault to WSR in a couple of weeks ^^
No can't remember. Probably twitter or something like that :)

aral
aral

Holm86 wrote:
The story was carried on several different f1 sites, and it was not just a "rumour".

aleks_ader

gilgen wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
The story was carried on several different f1 sites, and it was not just a "rumour".
That also not guarantee its existence (without "unofficial" pictures or at least wording from some credible eyewitnesses). Just sayin...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Juzh

Re: Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

How would FIA even know if one team is testing somewhere? Merc proved you could do it without being noticed (kind of). How does the FIA police this?

SilverArrow10

Re: Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

Juzh wrote:How would FIA even know if one team is testing somewhere? Merc proved you could do it without being noticed (kind of). How does the FIA police this?

I doubt the FIA would've have even found out about the Mercedes tire test if Rosberg hadn't told Vettel. They need to keep tabs on the teams more. Guess its difficult to police though, are Red bull really that desperate to do something illegal, don't think so it was probably not them or a filming day. That's two now though isn't it if it was?
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

LionKing
LionKing

Instead of recording the sound, wouldn't it be easier for them just to take a picture or something?

FW17

If there was a test mule, Renault crisis at Jerez would not have happened. The issue with Renault was that the engine was not read for installation until a few days prior to the test. I said in another thread that this could be backed up by the fact that strong rumors circulated Renault teams wanted the Jerez moved

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

You state that the engine was not ready for installation until a few days before the test. They have been running an engine on the dyno for a long time. I agree it was not the final installation engine but I can't see why a dyno engine could not be adapted to fit into a test mule - it can't be significantly different from the final engine as then the dyno tests would have been pointless.

aleks_ader

Packaging of (specially electronic component and its wirings and its corresponding software)components from team to team its different and that only cause problems. Not really Renault issue. But maybe they could bond much better communication channels between team that could prevent some minor issues.

But in interviews RB sad that they go for very aggressive tactics in terms of packaging. Who is to blame? Nobody! Problems are there and is need to solved. And exactly that RB and Renault are doing. I m sure that car packaging wise is the one of the best of the grid.

And if i take into account their previous years of success plus fact that they understand the own design philosophy very well and that car it is not really much of the line of its processors in term of aero philosophy (central + sideway cooling arrangement, high sidepods, tight aggressive up-wash coke bottle, amazing FW flow management; please ignore rule details) its save to say that car will be very quick.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna