Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

madly wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhZUoZuCEAEyzum.jpg:large

Do I see it correctly, that suspension is attached to exhaust pipe? :o #-o If yes, will this exhaust moveable in any direction as suspension forces apply deflection?

On the floor there is bulb - is it camera seeing rear wheel at the rear of that bulb?
You do not see correctly. The suspension is mounted on the top of the gearbox, under the exhaust pipe

basti313
basti313

madly wrote:Do I see it correctly, that suspension is attached to exhaust pipe? :o #-o If yes, will this exhaust moveable in any direction as suspension forces apply deflection?
I think the suspension is mounted below the exhaust. Moving the exhaust up and down with the suspension would make no sense...changing aero on bumps is exactly what you do not like.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Per
Per

scarbs wrote:
Per wrote:
slimfitcasual wrote:Either the FIA will amend the 2015 regs and do away with twin-tusk designs, or the field will be full of them next year yeah? Could go either way.
I still think they are bad for impact at a slightly sideways angle. AFAIK this is not tested in the crash tests. But no-one seems to have a problem with that so far.

18.6 Nose push off test :
During the test the survival cell must be resting on a flat plate and secured to it solidly but not
in a way that could increase the strength of the attachments being tested.
A constant transversal horizontal load of 40.0kN must then be applied to one side of the
impact absorbing structure, using a pad identical to the ones used in the lateral tests in Article
18.2.1, at a point 550mm from the front wheel axis.
The centre of area of the pad must pass through the plane mentioned above and the mid point
of the height of the structure at the relevant section. After 30 seconds of application, there
must be no failure of the structure or of any attachment between the structure and the
survival cell.
Thanks for the info, but:
- 550mm from the front wheel axis, that's just at the base of the tusks so this test does not guarantee the strength of the tusks under a sideways load.
- It's a static test. Good for checking the strength of the nose connection but impact behaviour is something entirely different.

Blackout

Blackout wrote:
SRK wrote:Exhaust is boring... but this! :shock:
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/0x0/ ... 0fe536.jpg
Yeah, looks like the lower rear part of the gearbox is almost floating over the floor and the diffuser. The bodywork under it looks extremley thin and short.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 633.61.jpg

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 3, Day 1 - Bahrain (27.02.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 3, Day 1 - Bahrain (27.02.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

They brought different sidepods + engine cover. 'Old' cover had a flat top while new one is concave... Sipdepod inatkes look different too... The sidepods look narrower to me...

stefan_
stefan_

Winter Testing 2014 - Session 3, Day 2 - Bahrain (28.02.2014)

Blackout

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Bigger sidepod and radiators then. Done more than red-bull so far.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

madly
madly

From Autosport Live:

"The team trialled 120 new parts on the car yesterday, but curtailed its running early because of an exhaust problem. The old exhaust has been re-fitted for today."

Blackout

emmepi27
emmepi27

What is on the roll-bar?

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Lotus "measuring" how much the tyres deflect under racing conditions.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 463.97.jpg
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Pilatus

Blanchimont wrote:Lotus "measuring" how much the tyres deflect under racing conditions.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 463.97.jpg
Very sofisticated measuring method.

That's a styrofoam, I suppose.