Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

the EDGE wrote:
mclaren_mircea wrote:Mclaren chose to run the first of the two days allowed by FIA for promotional filming days. Mclaren chose this first day after the first Bahrain test. FIA allows 100 km, and under Eric Boullier's eyes Kevin took the car in the morning, and Jenson in the afternoon.

Source: http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/35015/ ... fiming-day
Are the running different rear suspension? seems clearer there than with the mushroom blockers
You're right, I don't see the mushrooms there either.

KingHamilton01

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

You can see here Front wing endplate update.
McLaren Mercedes

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form ... 1--f1.html

McLaren behind expectations - Button
Jenson Button says McLaren is "further behind than expected" as Formula 1 heads towards the conclusion of pre-season testing in Bahrain.

Very disspointing statement from Jenson with 2 days before the test ending. He is not even sure if Mclaren will have all the parts on the car in the final day of testing.

Avocado
Avocado

I'm sure they're bluffing because of the butterfly suspension and other stuff. :wink: It's perfect for them that people think that Mercedes is the fastest car.

Avocado
Avocado

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Avocado wrote:I'm sure they're bluffing because of the butterfly suspension and other stuff. :wink: It's perfect for them that people think that Mercedes is the fastest car.
Agreed. I believe everyone is keeping cards very close to their chest, more so than any previous year. I have the distinct feeling Ferrari are right up there come Melbourne.

Pup
Pup

In the past, whenever I've felt that McLaren have been hiding their speed, they've proven me wrong. :cry:

Having said that, Button tends to put a fairly pessimistic spin on things.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

@Pup

If they have trouble in manufacturing the parts back at the factory I think it's something very worrieng. I can't accept that a top team like Mclaren, could have problems in manufacturing the new parts. I could expect something like this with Whitmarsh as team principal, because under him Mclaren had "pleasure" in shuting themselves in the foot :D , but I can't think that under Ron's eyes, something like this can happen. I think that your 3 theory is the correct one. They found something either good or bad. Neale said in January that they are discovering new thing in the wind tunnel every week, so I think that the cause. But I have another theory, that they may want to keep their cards close to the chest until Qualifying Session in Australia [-o<

Pup
Pup

Well, one hard pill that most us McLaren fans have had to swallow is that the team just isn't the king of car development anymore. The reason, I suspect, is that they were probably affected more than anyone else by the resource restriction agreement. But then that goes back to management, evidenced by the fact that other teams seem to be able to get updates out fairly regularly, even with limited resources. Whether the problem has been decision making, design, or actually getting parts produced, is anyone's guess; but regardless of the specific reason for the paralysis, it all falls under the category of management. Whitmarsh's background was in building Harrier jets; and indeed, his McLaren seemed as ponderous as the aircraft industry. His way seemed to work when he had unlimited resources, but today's F1 needs more of a skunkworks approach, imo.

Today's McLaren is still mostly Whitmarsh's McLaren. Some things surely have changed, but other changes will take a time. The good news is that Boullier has been probably the best on the grid the past few years at getting a lot done with very little. I'm going to guess that had a lot to do with Ron's choice in hiring him. So we'll see if Boullier's talent scales when, in fact, he has a lot.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Pup wrote:Well, one hard pill that most us McLaren fans have had to swallow is that the team just isn't the king of car development anymore. The reason, I suspect, is that they were probably affected more than anyone else by the resource restriction agreement. But then that goes back to management, evidenced by the fact that other teams seem to be able to get updates out fairly regularly, even with limited resources. Whether the problem has been decision making, design, or actually getting parts produced, is anyone's guess; but regardless of the specific reason for the paralysis, it all falls under the category of management. Whitmarsh's background was in building Harrier jets; and indeed, his McLaren seemed as ponderous as the aircraft industry. His way seemed to work when he had unlimited resources, but today's F1 needs more of a skunkworks approach, imo.

The good news is that Boullier has been probably the best on the grid the past few years at getting a lot done with very little, so we'll see if that talent scales when, in fact, he has a lot. I'm going to guess that skill had a lot to do with Ron's choice in hiring him. Today's McLaren is still mostly Whitmarsh's McLaren. Some things surely have changed, but other changes will take a while to happen.
I think Mclaren is inferiour only to Red Bull in developing the car during the season. Last year it was an exception, because they could not manage the pull rod and could not set up the car. The direction of the development paths led to nowhere. But even with this baseline, remember that they switched all the resources towards mp4-29 since the end of June 2013, and despite the limited resources left for mp4-28, towards the end of 2013, they closed most of the gap with Mercedes and Ferrari (compared how big was the gap in the first half of the year).
But remember 2011 and 2012, Mclaren was very good at developing the car. In 2012 after a little slump, after July 2012, the car went only better and better and only Newey's doble DRS and flexi nose prevented Mclaren from a total domination of the second half of the year. Remember how dominant was the car in the last three races of the year: pole position in Abu-Dhaby and lost the victory because of the gearbox faillure when Hamilton was leading the race, victory over Vettel in U.S and than first row and victory in Brazil. In 2011, after all the lost time with octopus exhaust they fixed the car in record time, and they had the second fastest car after Red Bull a king of the blow diffuser.
I think that Mclaren will have a strong development race. They have the money (100 millions extra from Honda) but their facilities in MTC will make de difference. Can't wait for Australia. At least we should be ahead of the Ferrari :)

FoxHound

Pup

This will be a lengthy undertaking. Mercedes took 3 years to get itself in order but this was clean slate stuff.
Mclaren have an underlying ethos which will have to adapted and then some to get itself in line with other faster more effective teams in terms of developments.

The teams alternate year tech squad departments just will not cut the mustard.
Things may need to get worse before they get better as a total restructuring is what I feel is in order.
Dennis probably goes with that as he cut Whitmarsh unceremoniously.

The Honda involvement comes at a perfect time to do so. The talent is there but it needs proper outlets to show for it.
JET set

mikeerfol

According to Magnussen, he hasn't do any quali sim yet.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 15517.html

Q: Are there any boxes that you would have liked to have ticked before Melbourne?
KM: Sure. I would have loved to do a qualifying lap on the supersofts - but it was not meant to be. The most important thing is that the team learns as much as possible about the car - and not what I would have loved to do.

venom02
venom02

Regarding McLaren development troubles, I would like to point out that Boullier did a very strong job in Lotus to race a car in 2012 and 2013 with far less resources than the three top teams and managed to win races and be in the lead for a fair amount of time. So maybe he could give a spin to the troubled "Whitmarsh's McLaren"

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

with all the restructuring going on, I'm wondering if we might see a reduction of updates in the near future. then once things settle down organizationally, maybe they pick back up again. no idea, just speculating.

adrianjordan

Did I hear someone mention that Ron Dennis is holding a press conference or something on Wednesday??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️