2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Blackout

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

atanatizante wrote: There is an article on AMuS regarding this matter: http://translate.google.ro/translate?sl ... 89033.html

However there should be made some amendments :

- Last year Renault, instead of Li-on batteries, they went for super capacitors from Panasonic, due to their lower weight and flexible packaging

- Together with loss in power (from 82 required they got some 60hp) the main drawback was they were running very hot and needed a greater thermal dissipation, which required some holes in the bodywork and coz Newey didn`t allow them to do that they faced endless KERS related problems

- In that article that batteries manufacturer is not juice (as you were figure out) and it`s in fact the French known company SAFT with their premium company SBG-Specialty Batteries Group

- Now coz Renault is doing all PU in-house, for a patriotic reason they choose SAFT for their ES, which use a High Voltage Battery System based upon SAFT VL 12V Li-ion NCA (for chemistry boys like I am : LiNiCoAlO2 acting like cathode) cell module.

- This battery cell has an energy to weight ratio of 266,4 KJ/kg, so in order to cope with 4MJ they need only for battery package alone some 15kg

- The remaining kilos for the system to be complete are done by the heat sink & thermoplastics and that`s to hit the mandatory ES 20-25 kg rule

- RBR want to stay with Panasonic super capacitors for being their long battery-partner and also for the faster charging & discharging cycles advantage but they fall short into the mandatory weight rule and not to mention their higher thermal operation window …

- Is also interesting to know that next year they will have the SSLi-ion – solid state Li-ion - technology available with some spectacular benefits : http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2 ... ctric-cars

Now all I wanna know is if they have:
1. A 12V battery pack anymore for charging ancillaries or they rely only on ES
2. An alternator anymore?
Where did you get this from ?

atanatizante

Blackout wrote:
atanatizante wrote: ...
Now all I wanna know is if they have:
1. A 12V battery pack anymore for charging ancillaries or they rely only on ES
2. An alternator anymore?
Where did you get this from ?
Could you be more specific?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Blackout

The informations under ''However there should be made some amendments'' :P

atanatizante

Blackout wrote:The informations under ''However there should be made some amendments'' :P
From the above statements I was only adding info regarding the cell battery specs, source beeing a past university colleague which is attending his PhD at University of Texas.
SAFT is using some materials from a company named Phostech, which is currently the only licensed supplier of those materials by University of Texas ...
The rest comes from putting pieces together out of AMuS article and well known facts among the forum community :)
Jesus

piast9
piast9

I have a question about something that I am not sure. Will the teams have the possibility to monitor on-line the readout from the FIA sensor of the total fuel consumption? I am asking that because I just wonder if it will be possible that the race engineer managed the race to achieve 99.9 kg of fuel consumed during the race but stewards then say that it actually was 100.2 kg and make drive disqualified.

WhiteBlue

Teams have online information on fuel consumption by the FiA sensor.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

piast9
piast9

OK, thanks.

Blackout

atanatizante wrote:
Blackout wrote:The informations under ''However there should be made some amendments'' :P
From the above statements I was only adding info regarding the cell battery specs, source beeing a past university colleague which is attending his PhD at University of Texas.
SAFT is using some materials from a company named Phostech, which is currently the only licensed supplier of those materials by University of Texas ...
The rest comes from putting pieces together out of AMuS article and well known facts among the forum community :)
Many thanks.
A detail I still dont understand: are the Renault teams using SAFT batteries know? or did they adopt Panasonic ones instead? Or is IT just RBR who kept the panasonic battery? AMuS doesnt seem to be sure...

atanatizante

Blackout wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
Many thanks.
A detail I still dont understand: are the Renault teams using SAFT batteries know? or did they adopt Panasonic ones instead? Or is IT just RBR who kept the panasonic battery? AMuS doesnt seem to be sure...
All Renault teams are using SAFT batteries coz they came along with the entire PU package from Renault and this package consists of followings: ICE+MGU-H+MGU-K+ES

As AMuS said is rumored RBR wants to switch batteries with Panasonic ones, in spite of having no experience with Li-ion batteries (they have had only super capacitors from them), and the reason is Infinity - Nissan premium company has the know-how from their hybrid cars construction.

Now from another forum there are rumors which are saying that after Jerez and Bahrein failures RBR is already working close with Renault in order to adopt their own ERS version.

Same people says that RBR was receiving Saturday their MGU-K version and that`s why Vettel has had such a productive and successful Sunday test session.

Also they said that Vettel`s success on Sunday was also due to the fact that RBR was already took a decision which says they will run in the first 3 races without MGU-H (the biggest ERS issue element).

This decision was taken coz they consider that the most important thing at the moment is to finish the race and that coz it`s a general belief between the teams which says that in the first races how could manage to finish a race also could earn some points …

Now could you have this info regarding the following matters:
1. Did they have anymore a 12V battery pack for charging ancillaries or they rely only on ES?
2. Did they have an alternator anymore?
Jesus

langwadt
langwadt

atanatizante wrote:
Blackout wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
Many thanks.
All Renault teams are using SAFT batteries coz they came along with the entire PU package from Renault and this package consists of followings: ICE+MGU-H+MGU-K+ES

As AMuS said is rumored RBR wants to switch batteries with Panasonic ones, in spite of having no experience with Li-ion batteries (they have had only super capacitors from them), and the reason is Infinity - Nissan premium company has the know-how from their hybrid cars construction.

Now from another forum there are rumors which are saying that after Jerez and Bahrein failures RBR is already working close with Renault in order to adopt their own ERS version.

Same people says that RBR was receiving Saturday their MGU-K version and that`s why Vettel has had such a productive and successful Sunday test session.

Also they said that Vettel`s success on Sunday was also due to the fact that RBR was already took a decision which says they will run in the first 3 races without MGU-H (the biggest ERS issue element).

This decision was taken coz they consider that the most important thing at the moment is to finish the race and that coz it`s a general belief between the teams which says that in the first races how could manage to finish a race also could earn some points …

Now could you have this info regarding the following matters:
1. Did they have anymore a 12V battery pack for charging ancillaries or they rely only on ES?
2. Did they have an alternator anymore?
They are allowed to have a small battery for auxiliaries and they might have one. it wouldn't make much sense
to have an alternator when you have a 120KW generator permanently tie to the cranks shaft

dren

Since the PUs are homologated, RBR can't be creating a different MGUK compared to the other Renault powered cars, right?

RBR sent engineers to help Renault fix PU issues. The ES is part of the homologated PU, so they would have had to change supplier for all Renault powered cars.
Honda!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Lauda today told in a talkshow on ServusTV that the Mercedes ICE produces 580hp, Marko next to him was quite surprised about that info but admitted that Renault's power output is lower than that.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

markn93

I'm calling his bluff. No way anyone's giving the figure away that easily. Especially in such broad daylight.

Juzh

740bhp and 340kmh in bahrain? Nope, not gonna happen. Even with all the drag decrease this year.

321apex
321apex

Blanchimont wrote:Lauda today told in a talkshow on ServusTV that the Mercedes ICE produces 580hp, Marko next to him was quite surprised about that info but admitted that Renault's power output is lower than that.
I would say that Lauda was being hip while adding 30hp.
Marko on the other hand had to be political and needed to stick it to Renault to make them feel "proper".