2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Regarding the Rosberg vs. Massa comparison. The speeds are taken from the timing screens at the track and show the maximum speed at the speed trap at end of the start and finish straight and through the speed traps at the end of each track sector.

Compare the Rosberg figures of 237,2 / 262,3 / 290,1 / 312,0 km/h with

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... Speeds.pdf
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 20Trap.pdf
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

mrluke
mrluke

Artur Craft wrote:If you look into Senna qualifying lap from Suzuka in 1991...At the hairpin(sector 2, just 2 back then, Senna was 0,2s faster than Berger so likely at the limit here), and despite wider qualifying tyres, Senna corners with just 85% of the Red Bull's speed.(Senna's min speed is 66kmh, Vettel's 71. During the cornering Senna's average speed is around 70kmh, while Vettel's over 80kmh)

So, the tyres give recent cars more grip, not the downforce. And the tyres compensates and even surpass the downforce deficit in many cases.
71kmh is about 44mph.

It is my understanding that downforce is hard to ignore from about 40mph, however the blown diffusers were having a big impact on low speed grip. This would be further evidenced by a higher average speed through slow corners..How much of this additional 5kmh / 3mph can be attributed to the EBD?

I dont have the answer to that but an extra 3mph does not sound unrealistic.

Completely agree that tyres have had a big impact on lap times, but I think it is very difficult to evaluate exactly how much on cars separated by ~25 years. Before the EBD this would likely have worked better and in fact comparing a 2014 car against 1991 is likely to give a better comparison.

timbo
timbo

I think there is a big difference between mechanical grip of early '90s vs modern cars due to suspension and setups. There were advances in suspension technology (inerters, materials) and overall chassis rigidity + lighter parts etc etc. Also '90s cars were optimised for working in narrower suspension travel range compared to modern cars (due to flat bottom), they were terrible on the bumps. Also, McLarens pre 92 had manual gearbox and clutch, I think that might contribute to the cars attitude, perhaps drivers had to choose lower apex speed for easier turn in and acceleration, while on modern cars they might choose to take a bit more speed to the apex.

Blackout

DIE TOP-SPEEDS VON BAHRAIN
Team Speed Tag
1. Ferrari 339,6 km/h 8
2. Williams-Mercedes 334,3 km/h 8
3. Mercedes 332,3 km/h 4
4. Caterham-Renault 331,2 km/h 8
5. McLaren-Mercedes 330,2 km/h 2
6. Toro Rosso-Renault 324,3 km/h 8
7. Force India-Mercedes 322,3 km/h 3
8. Red Bull-Renault 317,6 km/h 8
9. Sauber-Ferrari 314,8 km/h 5
10. Lotus-Renault 313,0 km/h 8
Marussia-Ferrari 313,0 km/h 8
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 65979.html

Artur Craft

mrluke wrote: 71kmh is about 44mph.

It is my understanding that downforce is hard to ignore from about 40mph, however the blown diffusers were having a big impact on low speed grip. This would be further evidenced by a higher average speed through slow corners..How much of this additional 5kmh / 3mph can be attributed to the EBD?

I dont have the answer to that but an extra 3mph does not sound unrealistic.

Completely agree that tyres have had a big impact on lap times, but I think it is very difficult to evaluate exactly how much on cars separated by ~25 years. Before the EBD this would likely have worked better and in fact comparing a 2014 car against 1991 is likely to give a better comparison.
Yes, the EBD makes a difference in favour of the 2011-2013 cars because it will significantly impact your downforce even at low speeds. However, the cars were cornering even faster in that hairpin when using the grooved tyres of the top tyre makers back in mid 2000s. And they had no EBD back them...

The min speed difference is "only" 5kmh, but the average speed gap is higher(~10kmh, or +14% ). That is quite substantial considering a thinner non qualifying tyre(albeit the Pirellis are very soft) versus a 1991 wide Goodyear qualifying tyre

If in 1992 they could beat the 1991 Monaco pole laptime by 0,8s, that pretty much exclude the qualifying tyres being a factor for only Suzuka's record staying untill 2001 while others were being broken. The same for engines' power, if they were less powered in 1992(which they were not) than in 91, why would they break other circuits records, even in the ones where engine power is extemelly important?!

The only guess I have is that maybe the Suzuka track surface was much better in 1991 than in any of the subsequent years.
WilliamsF1 wrote:Major change I think was the rear tyre width (not completely sure of it was 91 or 92 end). Through most of the disadvantage was negated by the reduced drag, I guess the some of the lack of grip was pronounced at circuits like suzuka with never ending list of high and medium speed corners.
In 92 they still had a wider rear. It only got to the current width in 93.

@timbo, even if that was the case. Wouldn't it apply to the higher speed corners as well? I think the point I was trying to make would still stand with this hypothesis as better suspensions and setups would allow cars to corner faster in high speed corners as well.

Imho, the bottom line is that, relatively, the 91 car compared better to the modern cars in the higher speed corners, where downforce is very important, than in the lower speed corners. Any mechanical improvement the modern cars might have , over the 90's ones, would affect the cars' ability to corner overall. It would make them corner faster in the lower and higher speeds turns and any extra downforce would only add to that in the faster corners, as I understand it.

Now, speaking of what this thread is really about, the Caterham figure brings some hope that the Renault powered cars, at least on sheer power, are not that far from the others.

Given Saubers' big amount of running, I would expect to see a higher top speed from them, if Ferrari can be on the top. I'm 99,9% sure that Sauber's drag values can't be higher than Ferraris to a point of making it 25kmh slower. I think this Swiss team sandbagged a lot in these tests and won't be as bad as the impression they gave with their poor laptimes

timbo
timbo

Artur Craft wrote:@timbo, even if that was the case. Wouldn't it apply to the higher speed corners as well? I think the point I was trying to make would still stand with this hypothesis as better suspensions and setups would allow cars to corner faster in high speed corners as well.
A good question to discuss. I think this might be a bit different for high speed corners. Often times F1 people discuss "aero grip" and "mechanical grip". It might be that at high speed corners mechanical performance becomes less of a differentiator compared to aero performance.

FW17

I like Bernie's idea to up the fuel limit from the current 100 KGS. Hope it happens soon as 580 from the IC engine is not very F1.

Blackout

580ps is bullshit.
You really think Lauda would reveal such secret numbers on TV? and that the 2014 are +23km/h faster with 90ps less?
Drag reduction can't explain those top speed... according to Allison or Symonds, today's cars have Montreal downforce level +or- and in Canada, top speed was just 8-9km/h better than in Bahrain 2013...

Trocola
Trocola

Blackout wrote:580ps is bullshit.
You really think Lauda would reveal such secret numbers on TV? and that the 2014 are 23km/h faster with 90ps less?
Drag reduction can't explain those top speed... according to Allison or Symonds, today's cars have Montreal downforce level, more or less, and in Canada, top speed was just 8-9km/h better than in Bahrain 2013...
580+160=740, and that's more or less the power of last season V8. With the same power and less drag, it is possible to reach 330 km/h in Bahrain. Remember they have now 8 gears and fixed gear ratios, so they do not hit the rev limiter

Blackout

750(V8) + 80(Kers)

timbo
timbo

Blackout wrote:750(V8) + 80(Kers)
Kers was used for acceleration, nobody used it near max speed (above 200-250). This is supposedly different now.

Blackout

They often used it at high speed too and it helped the cars reach top speed earlier so you must count the 80ps too.

hollus

When did you see a car use kers at top speed in 2013? I can't recall a single time.
Rivals, not enemies.

Trocola
Trocola

For 6 seconds and mainly in acceleration, not for top speed wich was, as I said, limited by gear ratios specific for each circuit

Juzh

hollus wrote:When did you see a car use kers at top speed in 2013? I can't recall a single time.
Guess you haven't watched much onboards then? They used it extensively at 300+ in Bahrain last year for defending or attacking. 750 BHP V8 was barely capable of 300 kph on its own when cars were at their lightest at the end of the race.

Here's a complete onboard race from 2013:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bztn5UZ ... RTQ28/edit
At 10:16 look how Vettel in Rosberg's tow still doesn't get anywhere near 300 clicks.
Also look at webber at 12:00. He's using kers immediately after the start/finish line to get to top speed quickly.

I suggest you check out many others which I've already posted in "new videos" thread.
Trocola wrote:
For 6 seconds and mainly in acceleration, not for top speed wich was, as I said, limited by gear ratios specific for each circuit
Top speed was limited when in DRS mode and on some circuits with full kers (alonso belgium 2013 when defending vs hamilton's drs), 750bhp alone could never achieve it.