2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

What similarities are there in the P1 compared to the PU's? The P1 doesn't do any turbo compounding or regenerative breaking. Sure they could potentially slot in an F1 PU into the P1 and use it as a test mule, but they could just as well do it with a 12c. I don't see many similarities between the 918 and the 919 either, other than the regenerative breaking on both axles.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

dren wrote: From what I've gathered it's the control system that Renault is behind on. And as stated above, I find it very hard to believe they never tested the PU as a whole before winter testing.
That's what I make of it as well. In an energy limited formula which F1 now is to have a system that uses resistors to dissipate excess energy only to find that causes vast heating problems within the bodywork so replace it with a bypass valve around the turbo to avoid the heating problem but still lose the energy is fundamentally wrong. I expect their cars to have to run very slowly at times to conserve fuel - especially the high fuel consumption tracks = Germany, Bahrain, Australia & India; but they should have sorted this out within a month or two. But Australia will really show it - if the engines are still running towards the end of the race.

It seems Merc run the ES far from full and are able to send any excess energy there when it is available. Their control system seems able to manage all the energy flows smoothly without losing any. Look at the way the Williams has been running.

It seems to me that Ferrari are not able to control the energy flows smoothly so the car is difficult to drive and their system currently fails when the engine is run full tilt - they can't then handle all the energy flows smoothly.

mrluke
mrluke

Cold Fussion wrote:What similarities are there in the P1 compared to the PU's? The P1 doesn't do any turbo compounding or regenerative breaking. Sure they could potentially slot in an F1 PU into the P1 and use it as a test mule, but they could just as well do it with a 12c. I don't see many similarities between the 918 and the 919 either, other than the regenerative breaking on both axles.
F1 2014
- 1.6 v6 Turbo @ ~3.5bar
- ~ 600bhp from ICE
- 161bhp MGU-K
- ~760bhp total

Mclaren P1
- 3.8 V8 Twin Turbo @ 2.4bar
- 730bhp from ICE
- 176bhp MGU-K
- 906bhp total
The electric motor can be deployed manually by the driver or left in automatic mode, whereby the car's ECUs 'torque fill' the gaps in the petrol motor's output, which is considered turbo lag[lol].
Power for the electric motor is stored in a 324-cell lithium-ion high density battery pack located behind the cabin, developed by Johnson Matthey Battery Systems. The battery can be charged by the engine or through a plug-in equipment...
The value / comparison with the P1 is the management of the energy store and its interaction between ES & MGU-k. Once you have got that relationship ironed out the last piece of the puzzle is the MGU-h and how that manages its power outputs.

There is an awful lot of software, or at the very least understanding that has been developed at Mclaren in order to produce and sell the P1.

As an added extra, typically I would have expected all of this hybrid tech to be trialed through F1, and only after it is understood would a high end sports car be released with "f1 tech." However in this instance we have the technology being put into a car which goes on sale just before the new tech comes into f1. It is all very convenient when placed in a climate of resource restrictions and budget caps.

Furthermore Mclaren are in the unique position of changing engine manufacturer at the end of the season, it would be handy if they had a decent amount of PU knowledge they could either retain or pass over to Honda in sufficient time for Honda to include it within their design.

Wonder how many P1s have made it over to Japan? I forget is the Honda PU being developed in Japan or England?

Does anybody know which battery supplier mclaren / Mercedes are using?

EDIT: Another piece of the puzzle..
The SLS E-Cell also uses a sophisticated brake energy recuperation system to continually recharge the battery pack with electricity created under braking.
Mercedes said they have been working on the PU for ~ 4 years...the SLS E-Cell was first unveiled in mid 2010 as an early prototype.

WhiteBlue

They used to use A123
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ringo

tok-tokkie wrote:
dren wrote: From what I've gathered it's the control system that Renault is behind on. And as stated above, I find it very hard to believe they never tested the PU as a whole before winter testing.
That's what I make of it as well. In an energy limited formula which F1 now is to have a system that uses resistors to dissipate excess energy only to find that causes vast heating problems within the bodywork so replace it with a bypass valve around the turbo to avoid the heating problem but still lose the energy is fundamentally wrong. I expect their cars to have to run very slowly at times to conserve fuel - especially the high fuel consumption tracks = Germany, Bahrain, Australia & India; but they should have sorted this out within a month or two. But Australia will really show it - if the engines are still running towards the end of the race.

It seems Merc run the ES far from full and are able to send any excess energy there when it is available. Their control system seems able to manage all the energy flows smoothly without losing any. Look at the way the Williams has been running.

It seems to me that Ferrari are not able to control the energy flows smoothly so the car is difficult to drive and their system currently fails when the engine is run full tilt - they can't then handle all the energy flows smoothly.
It's not possible to capture all the engery. Some forms of energy is low quality and is not worth capturing, when compared to the draws back of capturing it. I beleive Mercedes and Ferrari have realized this. Their cars simply use 100kg to do a race distance, i don't think they take it any further than that. Renault may have made the mistake of trying to capture it all.

One thing to note also is how rudimentary the renualt unit seems, based on the comments from the drivers. It seems that it's not very drivable because of how the electrical power interacts with the engine power. there isn't a seamless interaction with both. I hear there is a lot of turbo lag and the boost kicks in violently, suggesting the kers and mguh aren't working well with the engine.
For Sure!!

kooleracer
kooleracer

http://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/lauda- ... produceert

According to Lauda the new Mercedes ICE engine delivers 580hp. He made that claim on ServusTV.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

dren

ringo wrote:
tok-tokkie wrote:It seems Merc run the ES far from full and are able to send any excess energy there when it is available. Their control system seems able to manage all the energy flows smoothly without losing any. Look at the way the Williams has been running.

Renault may have made the mistake of trying to capture it all.

One thing to note also is how rudimentary the renualt unit seems, based on the comments from the drivers. It seems that it's not very drivable because of how the electrical power interacts with the engine power. there isn't a seamless interaction with both. I hear there is a lot of turbo lag and the boost kicks in violently, suggesting the kers and mguh aren't working well with the engine.
I agree with tok-tokkie, and it seems like you do too Ringo, in your second statement. I don't agree that Renault tried to capture all of the energy, though. They wouldn't have used resistors as a dump for the "excess" energy if that was the case. They just aren't managing it well. It is in their control system and modeling. Ferrari has stated this is an area they need to improve in.

It's a PU after all, not an ICE with a KERS boost slapped on it.
Honda!

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

mrluke wrote: The value / comparison with the P1 is the management of the energy store and its interaction between ES & MGU-k. Once you have got that relationship ironed out the last piece of the puzzle is the MGU-h and how that manages its power outputs.
That is not too much different from the 2009-2013 kers system, baring the automatic control (this is surely not too difficult a calibration problem though). I would suggest the braking by wire and mgu-h control systems would be much trickier to get the calibration correct, so I would think a proper test mule would at least incorporate some of these things. Furthermore, the kers system in the P1 is developed in house by Mclaren I believe, with the engine work being done by Ricardo, surely Honda would develop the entire PU inhouse?

autogyro
autogyro

The teams are having to deal with much higher levels of electrical energy in the same packaged volume.
It is far from an easy task with the available technology.

WhiteBlue

autogyro wrote:The teams are having to deal with much higher levels of electrical energy in the same packaged volume.
It is far from an easy task with the available technology.
Actually it is even harder for the manufacturers of the complete power unit.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mrluke
mrluke

Cold Fussion wrote:
mrluke wrote: The value / comparison with the P1 is the management of the energy store and its interaction between ES & MGU-k. Once you have got that relationship ironed out the last piece of the puzzle is the MGU-h and how that manages its power outputs.
That is not too much different from the 2009-2013 kers system, baring the automatic control (this is surely not too difficult a calibration problem though). I would suggest the braking by wire and mgu-h control systems would be much trickier to get the calibration correct, so I would think a proper test mule would at least incorporate some of these things. Furthermore, the kers system in the P1 is developed in house by Mclaren I believe, with the engine work being done by Ricardo, surely Honda would develop the entire PU inhouse?
The "not to difficult calibration problem" appears to be the thing that Ferrari have highlighted as the most important thing to refine before Melbourn and is responsible for a few Renault crank case failures..I think a lot of the logic used to solve this problem will also apply to the management of the mgu-h

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

My only hope is these new hybrid engines bring more of the larger companies and Honda is only the start.

I know some people like "racing teams" but I personally prefer large car companies duking it out. I would love to see Toyota, BMW, WV etc. to be part of F1.

alemos24
alemos24

I think that 580 hp from the ICE is too low.
I've read lots of articles where it is said that the new PU with MGU-H and MGU-K produces 880 hp .

wuzak
wuzak

alemos24 wrote:I think that 580 hp from the ICE is too low.
I've read lots of articles where it is said that the new PU with MGU-H and MGU-K produces 880 hp .
And 880hp is far to high (would mean that the ICE is making 720hp, or similar to what the V8s were).

alemos24
alemos24

wuzak wrote:
alemos24 wrote:I think that 580 hp from the ICE is too low.
And 880hp is far to high (would mean that the ICE is making 720hp, or similar to what the V8s were).

Indeed is utopic....I think (and I hope :mrgreen: ) that maybe the ICE produces 620-630 hp .
580 is tooooooooooooooooooooooooo low