Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

FoxHound wrote:When Honda arrive if the power unit is not up to scratch (unlikely but still) who will dennis blame?
Honda?

oT v1
oT v1

Has a sponsor been ruled out? they've lost the full chrome for some reason *(sidepod pic in the car thread), are they just going for a 'West' look with names or could there be a late surprise?
The Power of Dreams

Thunder

oT v1 wrote:Has a sponsor been ruled out? they've lost the full chrome for some reason *(sidepod pic in the car thread), are they just going for a 'West' look with names or could there be a late surprise?
Ron said they will have a long Term Title Sponsor in the next few Races. i think he even said they refused some possible Sponsors beause the just wanted to fill the Gap until Honda comes next Year.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

db__

Ron said they will have a long Term Title Sponsor in the next few Races. i think he even said they refused some possible Sponsors beause the just wanted to fill the Gap until Honda comes next Year.
Maybe Ron should get JB to have a word with Richard Branson :wink:

myurr
myurr

db__ wrote:Maybe Ron should get JB to have a word with Richard Branson :wink:
Probably best not to. The guy's a leech, look at the way he strung Brawn along getting advertising, PR and exposure without having to pony up any significant sums of cash. That's always been his way, he takes PR over advertising and it's worked incredibly well for him over the years. Can't see him actually spending money with McLaren even if he would take the hospitality on the back of a promise to consider advertising on their car.

db__

myurr wrote:
db__ wrote:Maybe Ron should get JB to have a word with Richard Branson :wink:
Probably best not to. The guy's a leech, look at the way he strung Brawn along getting advertising, PR and exposure without having to pony up any significant sums of cash. That's always been his way, he takes PR over advertising and it's worked incredibly well for him over the years. Can't see him actually spending money with McLaren even if he would take the hospitality on the back of a promise to consider advertising on their car.
As it happens I agree completely - I had assumed that the :wink: would denote the intended humour

oT v1
oT v1

Thunders wrote:
oT v1 wrote:Has a sponsor been ruled out? they've lost the full chrome for some reason *(sidepod pic in the car thread), are they just going for a 'West' look with names or could there be a late surprise?
so most likely not to be on the car in Oz. Well at least they changed the design a little bit before they do announce.

Hmm, is it allowed to have a 1 race contract in F1, like Lucio Cecchinello's LCR honda team in MotoGP - changing sponsorship regularly, with the rules on keeping design.....and having to notify the FIA if there's a major change...bla bla.
The Power of Dreams

frosty125
frosty125

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos/22 ... 7/#/238847

Is this a new logo? I'm either very not very observant or it is.

Thunder

They just left out all the Red. Which i think is good. Looks cleaner, more McLaren'ish. ^^
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Avocado
Avocado

Thunders wrote:They just left out all the Red. Which i think is good. Looks cleaner, more McLaren'ish. ^^
Looks minimalistic. I love it. 8)

BorisTheBlade

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

At Motorsport-total.com (German) they said that mclaren was going to run with black sidepods but without a sponsor.
But wouldn't the Sony logo look beautiful on a silver car with black sidepods? ;D

the EDGE
the EDGE

BorisTheBlade wrote:At Motorsport-total.com (German) they said that mclaren was going to run with black sidepods but without a sponsor.
But wouldn't the Sony logo look beautiful on a silver car with black sidepods? ;D

its just a pity Sony can't afford to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25908494

BorisTheBlade

the EDGE wrote:
BorisTheBlade wrote:At Motorsport-total.com (German) they said that mclaren was going to run with black sidepods but without a sponsor.

its just a pity Sony can't afford to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25908494
Well, to my knowledge the point where you need marketing the most is when you're down. Microsoft didn't do much marketing while they were king of the Hill - look at them now and look how much marketing they are doing.
Secondly, we have a new wave in the console wars and that's what Sony will most likely concentrate on. They really need an ecosystem. F1 viewers are also the perfect peer group for console buyers - males between 18 and 35 with a hang for motorsports.
I don't know how probable all this may be but I wouldn't be surprised seeing a "4 the players" slogan appear on either the Mclaren or the Lotus in the near future.

FoxHound

Pup wrote:
FoxHound wrote:When Honda arrive if the power unit is not up to scratch (unlikely but still) who will dennis blame?
Honda?
And risk the fallout with Honda? They play fair do Honda, but they won't stand for being scapegoated especially when you consider the money they give, engines they supply and future joint production plans they have with Mclaren(engines).

And with Dennis at the helm, you can bet there will be a teething process. Its not a case of him turning up and everything will be okay. The game has moved on, even Di montezemelo cannot reach the levels ferrari had before, in spite of huge change.
What gets up me nose is some fans love a scapegoat...and whitmarsh is like a deer in hunting season. Damn shame that, as I think he was an asset to Mclaren the organisation and F1 team.

The pressure this team will be under now will be immense. Almost unhealthily so imo
JET set

adrianjordan

BorisTheBlade wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Well, to my knowledge the point where you need marketing the most is when you're down. Microsoft didn't do much marketing while they were king of the Hill - look at them now and look how much marketing they are doing.
Secondly, we have a new wave in the console wars and that's what Sony will most likely concentrate on. They really need an ecosystem. F1 viewers are also the perfect peer group for console buyers - males between 18 and 35 with a hang for motorsports.
I don't know how probable all this may be but I wouldn't be surprised seeing a "4 the players" slogan appear on either the Mclaren or the Lotus in the near future.
Or the Xperia phones and tablets, which is where they can really gain ground. To my mind there's no reason that Sony can't challenge Samsung in the mobile phone market...but then I am biased as I have both an Xperia Tablet and phone!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️