Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

It's interesting how the lectronic units are packaged and covered under the radiator
The exhaust pipe angle is interesting too
Edit: it's a log style manifold
Owen.C93 wrote:I don't know whether you want this type of content here. But here's the Merc engine showing the compact "log style" exhaust and how the air goes through the V into the compressor. The Renault runs it's MGU-H in the V and routes it's intake over the airbox and then normal to the compressor. Not sure on the ferrari but here's a link to their up and over 3 into 1 into 1 exhaust. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiomjgTCIAEcNts.jpg
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... rcedes.jpg
Last edited by Blackout on 14 Mar 2014, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

Burgess
Burgess

What's that thing with what looks like an airfilter just behind the cockpick on the left hand side? Something going into the fuel tank?

Hail22

Thursday 13th of March (Afternoon) and Friday morning 14th of March - 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

P.S I'd like to know why someone -1 me especially after the debate F1T is having about up / downvote abuse? In my humble opinion my post seems to be in line with the rules of the W05 Technical thread...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

dans79

Hail22 wrote:Thursday 13th of March (Afternoon) and Friday morning 14th of March - 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

I wonder why they have the old FW mounted to the car.
201 105 104 9 9 7

beelsebob
beelsebob

dans79 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Thursday 13th of March (Afternoon) and Friday morning 14th of March - 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 563974.jpg
I wonder why they have the old FW mounted to the car.
Because they need to compare the results of running each, and because they're not doing any running yet at all, so it's better to damage the old wing while futzing about than the new wing that they'll have very limited supply of.

Blackout

P.S I'd like to know why someone -1 me especially after the debate F1T is having about up / downvote abuse? In my humble opinion my post seems to be in line with the rules of the W05 Technical thread...
Please for once look at the previous pages before you post.

Hail22

Blackout wrote:

I did and I compiled the "single" images into one single post, so its easier for members to see it all in a cascading flow rather than fight the pages in order to find that "single" photo. I saw my post as trying to be constructive, you obviously disagree which I must respect your opinion.

Back on the FW...why do the FW endplates (black carbon fibre sections) have a "powdery" look? To my eyes it looks like either the wings are fresh from the factory and still have the powder transfer from the moulds, or worst case scenario there is a mould defect back at Mercedes HQ? (I understand it may not be important to most but it got my attention and thought I ask whether I'm coo coo or it legitimately has some powder like residue).

Regards,
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Hail22 wrote:
Blackout wrote:

I did and I compiled the "single" images into one single post, so its easier for members to see it all in a cascading flow rather than fight the pages in order to find that "single" photo. I saw my post as trying to be constructive, you obviously disagree which I must respect your opinion.
We don't need a summary of the last 3 pages in a new post IMO. Especially as the previous pages actually had useful comments about the images they posted.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wunderkind
wunderkind

Hail22 wrote:
Blackout wrote:

Back on the FW...why do the FW endplates (black carbon fibre sections) have a "powdery" look? To my eyes it looks like either the wings are fresh from the factory and still have the powder transfer from the moulds, or worst case scenario there is a mould defect back at Mercedes HQ? (I understand it may not be important to most but it got my attention and thought I ask whether I'm coo coo or it legitimately has some powder like residue).

Regards,
I think the "powder" is just the flow viz residue.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Lewis's car just broke down on the first lap.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

ACJJ619
ACJJ619

@MercedesAMGF1: Update on @LewisHamilton's car.. An oil pressure alarm led to a precautionary engine shutdown. Cause to be investigated when car returns.

Good news - it's no biggie. Bad news - whole session lost.

jurinius
jurinius

Emerson.F wrote:Lewis's car just broke down on the first lap.
Power unit failure confirmed :roll:
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

ringo

hmm... hope there's not actually an oil pressure problem.

In terms of running. The doesn't seem so special. Seems behind ferrari and mclaren for the very first session of the year.
For Sure!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Hail22 wrote:
Blackout wrote:

For reference – I find posts with lots of pictures much less useful than posts with a single picture, and then some discussion of it.

I don't mean to poo-poo your effort, but I would rather that these digests didn't happen personally.

beelsebob
beelsebob

jurinius wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:Lewis's car just broke down on the first lap.
Power unit failure confirmed :roll:
Uhhh... no.

Oil pressure sensor failure.