2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hollus

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

I stand corrected ;-)
Rivals, not enemies.

Juzh

Newey pretty much confirms what I said earlier in this thread regarding RB6 and cornering speeds:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/11/w ... 2014-newey

“The RB6 was probably the car with the most downforce in the history of F1, more even than the legendary spoiler cars of the 1980s. We measured up to 5.5G of lateral acceleration.

“It could go flat out through Copse at Silverstone, and on the sharp bend on the back straight at Barcelona [Campsa].”

Artur Craft

Firstly, thanks very much for the link! ;)

I already knew the 2010 Red Bull had the highest cornering speed ever and I also knew it surpassed 5G at many corners. I heard somebody saying the 5,5G figure but it's better to hear from the horses mouth.

Interestingly, the way Newey speaks, makes you think the benchmark for max downforce in F1 were the "spoiler cars of the 1980s" which would confirm it had more downforce than the 2000's cars, contrary to what some members said earlier.

It's also worth noting that Newey mention lateral acceleration rather than downforce figures. The lateral acceleration depends highly on the tyres, as well as the total vertical load acting on them. Despite all the downforce of the skirts/ground effect cars and despite their wide slick tyres, they only peaked at 3G during cornering.

I would have liked if he presented some aero figures to give a real insight into it. But I won't keep taking this thread into other subjects, later I plan to open a new thread to post all the numbers I have

On topic, on the same RedBulletin, they say the total power is 800HP, so they leaked that Renault combustion engine generates 640HP. Interesting.

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote: On topic, on the same RedBulletin, they say the total power is 800HP, so they leaked that Renault combustion engine generates 640HP. Interesting.
Well, renault max power wasn't really in question. Vergne (or was it someone in the caterham?) managed exactly the same numbers trough start/finish and speed trap on couple occasions. It's just that it self destructs rather quickly in doing so.

Artur Craft

I think it was one of the Caterhams but there were doubts if that wasn't the case due to their typical poor downforce, which would mean low drag.

For the sake of the Renault and Ferrari powered cars, I just hope that Mercedes doesn't have much more than that otherwise there will be less competitiveness across the field

Anybody care to make a prediction of how much slower than last years' cars they will be at FP1?

Vettel set the best FP1 time with 1:27.211 and I think we won't see any better than a 1.29.5. I also think throughout the weekend they will relatively improve more than the 2013 cars and close that gap to around 1,5s by FP2 leading to a laptime of around 1.27.5

The problem is that the comparison stops there as rain affected the Saturday, last year.

Top speeds last year: 312.1kmh at FP1 and 313kmh at FP2.

I predict like over 330kmh for tomorrow/today

Juzh

I honestly couldn't predict %4it with these new cars. start/finish speeds were almost the same as 2013 but then 2014 cars take off, so i'll reserve on myself on this prediction :!:

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote: Example of DF advantage on RB6 compared to overall fastest car of 2012, mp4-27:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aywDRf_Dm5A
Hamilton is clearly much faster on the straights, yet looses all advantage in 1 corner. 1!
2013 is much better in that regard, but still long way off.
On the fastest corner of the track Hamilton is in 4th gear.

Vettel is in 6th :shock:

timbo
timbo

A bit off, but the onboard sound is horrible :?

beelsebob
beelsebob

timbo wrote:A bit off, but the onboard sound is horrible :?
Actually, I love the on board sound. I think FOM need to boost the off-board volume a bit.

Sevach
Sevach

Last season Vettel was 27.2 in fp1 and 25.9 in fp2

The new cars should close the gap a bit in FP2 because the gap between soft and medium was increased this season.

siskue2005

timbo wrote:A bit off, but the onboard sound is horrible :?
yup the onboard sounds are so dull now :cry:
Even my wife who hates f1 noticed the sound difference this morning and she asked me if i have reduced the sound on TV or what!! :wtf:

Lycoming
Lycoming

Eh, noise is just wasted energy anyways. Nobody complains about the audi diesel LMP1s, and they're whisper quiet.

Is what I'll tell myself as I lay down, pull up videos of the BMW V10 and try not to cry.

siskue2005

Lycoming wrote:Eh, noise is just wasted energy anyways. Nobody complains about the audi diesel LMP1s, and they're whisper quiet.

Is what I'll tell myself as I lay down, pull up videos of the BMW V10 and try not to cry.
:lol: :lol:

Artur Craft

So the best time of the weekend in FP3 was almost 5s slower than best FP3 time in 2011.

Nowhere near the 1s gap, saw in Bahrain tests, to the 2013 car.(there was no Bahrain GP in 2011)

Tbh, this makes much more sense to me. The 1s is just too unreal for a car 50kg heavier(1,75s of increase in laptime, on average), 15% less downforce(+-1,5s), slightly harder tyres(guessing it to be an increase of 0,5-1s) and then there is the PU effect which is harder to quantify but I can see it making out for 3s to bring it to just 1s

Next GP will be interesting to follow the laptimes

beelsebob
beelsebob

Artur Craft wrote:So the best time of the weekend in FP3 was almost 5s slower than best FP3 time in 2011.

Nowhere near the 1s gap, saw in Bahrain tests, to the 2013 car.(there was no Bahrain GP in 2011)

Tbh, this makes much more sense to me. The 1s is just too unreal for a car 50kg heavier(1,75s of increase in laptime, on average), 15% less downforce(+-1,5s), slightly harder tyres(guessing it to be an increase of 0,5-1s) and then there is the PU effect which is harder to quantify but I can see it making out for 3s to bring it to just 1s

Next GP will be interesting to follow the laptimes
Alternatively... Comparing times when no one was pushing at all, is bullshit.