Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Very interestingly that they dropped, after 5 seasons plus this season's testing, the double endplate design.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they run a higher AoA nearer the inside, compared to the previous wing. This could explain why they extended the slots between the elements.

It's an evolution, but with a big step. I'll make an update about this after this weekend.
The way the flaps curve down at the outter edges sort of make it still a double endplate design. The flap just does double duty.
Then the previous incarnation would have been a triple one. I agree here with the function of the flap, but still the endplate itself is a different philosophy now.
#AeroFrodo

dren

turbof1 wrote:
dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Very interestingly that they dropped, after 5 seasons plus this season's testing, the double endplate design.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they run a higher AoA nearer the inside, compared to the previous wing. This could explain why they extended the slots between the elements.

It's an evolution, but with a big step. I'll make an update about this after this weekend.
The way the flaps curve down at the outter edges sort of make it still a double endplate design. The flap just does double duty.
Then the previous incarnation would have been a triple one. I agree here with the function of the flap, but still the endplate itself is a different philosophy now.
Agree. Still on the same train of thought about the outer horizontal flap?
Honda!

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Does anyone think Mercedes will remove those camera mounts having seen the Redbull solution?
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

turbof1

dren wrote: Agree. Still on the same train of thought about the outer horizontal flap?
The small flap attached to the endplate you mean? Since the endplate is now fully closed, there's no seperation between different gradients of high pressure air coming from the elements. I now think it tried, in the previous wing's incarnation, to "downwash" airflow attached to the outside of the endplate, which sent it right into the outer edge of the last elements, outwashing it there. Probably the biggest issue there was mixing low pressure airflow the endplate with high pressure air from the outwash of the elements. They now clearly seperated those 2 flows. It also looks like I underestimated the importance of the vortex it created, speeding up airflow and further seperating flows.

But I could be wrong. I spoken with others and nobody is really sure. I think with further updates around that area it's intended purpose will be further revealed.
Last edited by turbof1 on 14 Mar 2014, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
#AeroFrodo

atanatizante

They`ve also run the "ear-less" engine cover, maybe in a prospect of a Sunday wet race?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Looks like they've gone for a slim engine cover?

Also, nice under the body detail:

Last edited by tranquility2k4 on 14 Mar 2014, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Indeed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the end-plates are all that remained of the "grand-daddy" front wing from the BGP days.

I fondly remember a few posters on here winging on about it to no end during the W01 - W03 's reign of terror.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

SectorOne

Interesting how the electronics is all enclosed with carbon fiber. Usually you see it quite open in that area.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

NewtonMeter wrote:

Indeed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the end-plates are all that remained of the "grand-daddy" front wing from the BGP days.

I fondly remember a few posters on here winging on about it to no end during the W01 - W03 's reign of terror.
In 2012 they made a significant change in design, but it was still the same philosophy. I think if you keep something for 5 seasons it has to be a good design. Perhaps if the shortening of the FW didn't happen they kept it.
#AeroFrodo

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Different air intakes.

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

atanatizante

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dren

SectorOne wrote:Interesting how the electronics is all enclosed with carbon fiber. Usually you see it quite open in that area.
I wonder if they are starting to keep a lot of those components all housed in one CF container, eliminating each separate housing. I am kind of surprised we haven't seen anything like that before.
Honda!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Mercedes spring.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

dren wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Interesting how the electronics is all enclosed with carbon fiber. Usually you see it quite open in that area.
I wonder if they are starting to keep a lot of those components all housed in one CF container, eliminating each separate housing. I am kind of surprised we haven't seen anything like that before.
Must be for easy, cartridge style removal....
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SectorOne

I think it might have to do with cooling but then again i´m ignorant on that whole subject.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"