2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

That thing looks like a compressor from afar, however there are some details to it that would say otherwise.
There seem to be a lot of lines going to the head of it, pneumatic lines maybe.

I was beginning to wonder if the throttle body is located in front of the compressor and that thing is actually an integrated throttle and compressor.
The advantages would come from the lack of a blow off and aslo that there can be advantages to run the compressor under vacuum when the throttle closes over it.
But then again, depends on what is in the regs. Maybe that idea is completely illegal, it's just that that thing looks very complicated for a compressor.
For Sure!!

R_Redding
R_Redding

321apex wrote: There is another set of lobes hidden inside the palm of one guy's hand.
No..I still think its from RS34 ... The "zuppu" series of pictures come from the Racecar Engineering website , and from a page devoted to the RS34 ,as do all the other zuppu slideshow pictures ..
So I find it hard to believe that they slipped a v8 cam picture in all of the other RS34 pictures.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... formula-1/

And it does seem to fit with the picture they have for the v6 head.

I also took this cam picture from a video of the v8 RS27 engine.

Rob

321apex
321apex

R_Redding wrote:
321apex wrote: There is another set of lobes hidden inside the palm of one guy's hand.
No..I still think its from RS34 ... The "zuppu" series of pictures come from the Racecar Engineering website , and from a page devoted to the RS34 ,as do all the other zuppu slideshow pictures ..
So I find it hard to believe that they slipped a v8 cam picture in all of the other RS34 pictures.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... formula-1/

And it does seem to fit with the picture they have for the v6 head.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... uppu09.jpg

I also took this cam picture from a video of the v8 RS27 engine.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac18 ... 709443.jpg

Rob
You are not paying attention.
If you look at the the left hand of a man holding the camshaft, you will see an edge of a cam lobe edge protruding while obscured in view by his index and middle fingers.
Just about both hidden lobes are within the grasp of his hand. The orientation of visible lobes correspond to a V8 engine's single plane crank configuration.

Camshafts are guarded secrets in terms of how they are driven and how they are isolated from vibration at the driven end. In this picture both ends are obscured, which is the norm. Just because this picture was used in the publication does not mean that it is factual. Most people don't know, so Renault disclosed the V8 cam picture instead of a proper one which they deemed as perhaps sensitive.

OO7
OO7

ringo wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... rcedes.jpg

That thing looks like a compressor from afar, however there are some details to it that would say otherwise.
There seem to be a lot of lines going to the head of it, pneumatic lines maybe.
I think that's the MGU-H and the compressor is situated just behind it.

WhiteBlue

Today's action in Melbourne has ended the myth that huge torque of the turbo engines would be irelevant to the racing. Some people have been adamant that only power matters and that gear box technology will equalize everything by the time the torque arrives at the rear wheels. This obviously is not true as drivers have been finding it very difficult in the slippery conditions to handle the huge torque of the turbo powered new engines although they practically have no turbo lag.

The other thing we learned today is the importance of the software that controls the power at various parts of the system. Vettel's Red Bull was practically undrivable and Ricciardo's was almost good for pole athough only tiny bits of software codes were the difference between those two cars. I think we are in for a fascinating season and that the new engines are everything they promised to be. Such a shame that they were delayed by more than one year. The last season could have been hugely exciting with 4 cylinder turbos instead of old V8s.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

R_Redding
R_Redding

321apex wrote:Camshafts are guarded secrets in terms of how they are driven and how they are isolated from vibration at the driven end.
There's not much new or secret about how they connect the gearing to the cams..

Most engine manufacturers use a combination of friction dampening on the drive end and/or viscous or pendulum dampers at the rear.
The Cosworth CA as ran in 2013 used the same "Quill" concept that they had pioneered to damp out cam resonance in the DFV.
There are plenty of pictures around of the RS27 and as it ran reliably at faster speeds,why change.

Rob

R_Redding
R_Redding

ringo wrote: That thing looks like a compressor from afar, however there are some details to it that would say otherwise.
It looks like thay compressor looking item may be of high interest.

Ted was pointing it out that they have an unknown extra component to their ERS that they chose not to show in their press packs.

Rob

Powershift

R_Redding wrote:
ringo wrote: That thing looks like a compressor from afar, however there are some details to it that would say otherwise.

http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... rcedes.jpg

Ted was pointing it out that they have an unknown extra component to their ERS that they chose not to show in their press packs.

http://imageshack.com/a/img42/4795/dqj7.jpg

Rob
one look at the exhaust manifold tells you that the press pack is worthless
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Blackout

It's the old compressor's intake. IMO the actual one becomes air from the sides, not from the top...
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 28#p494928

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

R_Redding wrote: That thing looks like a compressor from afar, however there are some details to it that would say otherwise.
Rob
If I am not mistaken this is the front side of the engine. And since the turbo position is strictly defined, they must be using a long shaft all the way to the front of the engine.
I don't think it is a compressor.
Might be a MGUH though.
But what about a high pressure fuel pump?
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

langwadt
langwadt

Dragonfly wrote:
R_Redding wrote: That thing looks like a compressor from afar, however there are some details to it that would say otherwise.
Rob
If I am not mistaken this is the front side of the engine. And since the turbo position is strictly defined, they must be using a long shaft all the way to the front of the engine.
I don't think it is a compressor.
Might be a MGUH though.
But what about a high pressure fuel pump?
a 500 bar fuel pump is tiny:

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/de/de/pr ... 90633.html

neilbah
neilbah

Image i was comparing the locations of pipework around intercooler and airbox and the location of the suspected compressor in the other pic and it does seem to be a possibility

R_Redding
R_Redding

plusses...
It certainly looks compressor ish... and the fact they've taped it over to stop ingress.
You can see the three orange MGU-h cables on the left going up into the V ,and
the three orange MGU-K cables on the right going across.

minusses...
I cant see any ballistic shielding over it
especially as it will shred the oil store if it let go.

A bad guess but...I have seen centrifugal oil/air separators to remove the cavitated air from the oil before its fed back into the oil tank...quite a few engines use such schemes after the oil scavanger pumps..

So if we assume it is the compressor and the mgu-h is at the front ,shaft driven through the V from the rear of the engine... then the Merc press pack "all in one" (as the MagnetiMarelli One a few pages back) is probably bollocks.Unless their "all in one" stretches front to back...but again I can't see any ballistic shielding over it

or Maybe Ted is talking about something else...

Rob

bhall
bhall

WhiteBlue wrote:Today's action in Melbourne has ended the myth that huge torque of the turbo engines would be irelevant to the racing. Some people have been adamant that only power matters and that gear box technology will equalize everything by the time the torque arrives at the rear wheels. This obviously is not true as drivers have been finding it very difficult in the slippery conditions to handle the huge torque of the turbo powered new engines although they practically have no turbo lag.

[...]
[...] The V8s already had more than enough power to break traction, but the narrow power-band of those drivetrains, not to mention the additional downforce acting on the drive wheels, made it relatively easy for drivers to avoid it. The current power units, on the other hand, have a much wider power-band, and the cars have less downforce on the drive wheels. So, naturally, drivers have to be a bit more delicate when applying the throttle.

Though the range of speeds in which the cars are traction-limited has grown, power to the wheels remains roughly the same. This is fundamental. [...]

EDIT: For the record, I did not downvote you.
Last edited by Steven on 16 Mar 2014, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

wuzak
wuzak

Tommy Cookers wrote:just about every aircraft piston engine had master-and-slave rods
typically 6 or 8 slaves per master rod (in radial engines)
also all those WW2 V12s and the 3 bank 'broad arrow'/W engines (like the Napier-Railton and the recent Napier-Bentley cars)

the slave rods operate at a more favourable angle (reducing sidethrust and friction)
to minimise engine size the aircraft engine rod ratio would be lower than eg in a car engine, so the above was important
also the slave 'big end' bearings have a low rubbing velocity oscillation (non-rotational), making further savings in frictional losses
the mechanical efficiency of these engines could exceed 90%
there were also benefits of reduced engine length, weight etc
Not so.

Radials had master and slave rod arrangements, because they had to. The Lion and Vulture had master and slave rods to - because the crankpin would be too long to hang off 3 or 4 connecting rods, which impacts the length of the engine. The Rolls-Royce Eagle XVI, an experimental X-16 engine, had two pairs of blad and fork con-rods side by side.

All th emajor V-12s of the WW2 era had blade and fork rods. This was done to reduce the length of the engine, if only by a small amount.

The Rolls-Royce Buzzard had fork and blade rods, but they had trouble with the big end bearings when it was developed into the R racing engine. So they replaced the fork and blade rods with a master and slave rod. They may have been in earlier engines, but I am not sure.