Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

dren wrote:The devil is in the details. This car looks very developed as is. The internal packaging looks to have gone a step forward compared to the W03. Look at the carbon fiber casing under the radiators. The rear of the car is very open and clean. Just a good overall package.
I'd hope so, the W03 was two generations ago.

(kidding ofcourse, innocent typo, I'm sure) :mrgreen:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

diego.liv
diego.liv

aleks_ader wrote:
diego.liv wrote:The new nose will be shorter, so that the under-the-nose airflow will be more energized (since there will be less space between nose tip and t-tray zone, the flow will be steadier) given the new level of pressure created, hence more rear downforce.
Elaborate this phenomena? Proof for your statement!
Google translation, AMus
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 92723.html

"Overall, the first major upgrade of the season shall bring two tenths. An important detail was Mercedes home. The new, shorter nose. You failed the crash test. There is still development work required, because it is an ambitious project. The nose is so short that it no longer covers the wings. This improves the flow of the wing. In this solution, but only 75 centimeters carbon structure remain to the front AA Schott. Experts doubt whether it can be done at all, to meet the crash test standards in so little space."

It suggests a better flow from the wing; then (which i forget to write) i suppose that also the flow under the nose is 'improved': given then the nose tip is nearer to the t-tray, the airflow has less space to cover between the pylons and the V-shaped base of the car (where the flow is split, under the driver's butt)-->less space to cover means the flow is directed to the V more precisely.

Immagine a 100cm nose, the flow passes between the pylons but then he quickly loses its direction and 'power', the flow 'breaks', 'splits' way before reaching the V

siskue2005

SectorOne wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:See the video in high def, not on some downloaded video... I have recorded it on my pvr ...see it on bigger screen, it is defentily light reflection ......and moreover sparks won't appear on the side protection out of nowhere

I would recommend you to watch it on high def and bigger screen
My downloaded video is a raw cap 1080 with ridiculous bitrate. There´s no light reflections, those are yellow sparks.

It´s not really a question of it it´s sparks or not but rather where they originate from.
ok we can agree to disagree
just like the transparent engine cover of mclaren, now we have sparks on wet reflective side protection in pouring rain :wtf:

chrispphunt
chrispphunt

Would I be right to say altough the Mercedes is a very strong package maybe the aero is still not quite at red bulls level?
Or is it just that there fric system doesn't work quite so we'll in the rain?
Just wondering why the wo5 was much faster in the dry than in the wet- in comparison to the red bull for example.

beelsebob
beelsebob

chrispphunt wrote:Would I be right to say altough the Mercedes is a very strong package maybe the aero is still not quite at red bulls level?
Just wondering why the wo5 was much faster in the dry than in the wet- in comparison to the red bull for example.
I suspect that Merc have better aero than even RBR at the moment. Merc are about 2 seconds ahead of the nearest Merc car. RedBull are a mere half a second ahead of the nearest Renault engined car.

SectorOne

siskue2005 wrote:ok we can agree to disagree
just like the transparent engine cover of mclaren, now we have sparks on wet reflective side protection in pouring rain :wtf:
Agreed,
Or maybe the laws of nature just bugged out for a second and light decided to behave in completely different ways then it has done for 13.7 billion years.

Study the footage frame by frame and you too will see that it really is sparks that divide upon impact.
Normal light, even reflected from odd surfaces do not behave in this manner.

(nevermind the fact that the headrest surface is smooth)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

kooleracer
kooleracer

chrispphunt wrote:Would I be right to say altough the Mercedes is a very strong package maybe the aero is still not quite at red bulls level?
The gap was so close because the mercedes engine power is less, because its hard to get traction with the huge amount torque we have nowadays. But also Nico was on full wet tire and at the end of the session intermediate was the way to go for sure. Also a lot of emphasis on the Merc engine when people talk about the gap to the competition. But if you look at McLaren and Force India the Ferrari and the Torro Rosso was keeping up with them and the Mercedes cars weren't powering by them on acceleration. So I feel that people are explaining gap by arguing that Mercedes is quick because of the engine but the Aero package of this car is the fastest by a big margin even compared to Williams and McLaren. The Gap nico pulled after the SC period was 2.2 on Daniel Ricciardo. I think 0.5s was Nico's advantage the engine would be around 0.7s and the last second is just pure aero advantage.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Unc1eM0nty

The wet is a great leveler, I think their extra downforce helped them but they couldn't quite get the power down.

I think if Q3 had been dry both Williams would have taken the 2nd row.

chrispphunt
chrispphunt

kooleracer wrote:
The gap was so close because the mercedes engine power is less, because its hard to get traction with the huge amount torque we have nowadays. But also Nico was on full wet tire and at the end of the session intermediate was the way to go for sure. Also a lot of emphasis on the Merc engine when people talk about the gap to the competition. But if you look at McLaren and Force India the Ferrari and the Torro Rosso was keeping up with them and the Mercedes cars weren't powering by them on acceleration. So I feel that people are explaining gap by arguing that Mercedes is quick because of the engine but the Aero package of this car is the fastest by a big margin even compared to Williams and McLaren. The Gap nico pulled after the SC period was 2.2 on Daniel Ricciardo. I think 0.5s was Nico's advantage the engine would be around 0.7s and the last second is just pure aero advantage.
That makes sense, regarding not being able to put the power down in the wet but if they had a strong aero package surely that would benefit grip levels and therefore laptime in the wet as much as the dry?
I don't think the wet/intermediate tyre gained anything either way as it was right in the middle so its seems strange Ricciardo was able to outpace Rosberg in the wet conditions(not lewis but that lap was a little later).
Maybe track evolution played a big part, the gap was huge during the race though....

.poz
.poz

kooleracer wrote: I'am most proud about the fact that they finaly sorted their tire wear issues.
Really they have ? Or The harder compounds of 2014 have solved it for them ?

Anon123
Anon123

.poz wrote:
kooleracer wrote: I'am most proud about the fact that they finaly sorted their tire wear issues.
Really they have ? Or The harder compounds of 2014 have solved it for them ?
A bit of both I think, what difference does it make though? The car is quick.

FoxHound

beelsebob wrote: I suspect that Merc have better aero than even RBR at the moment. Merc are about 2 seconds ahead of the nearest Merc car. RedBull are a mere half a second ahead of the nearest Renault engined car.
I wouldn't go as far as that.
The W05 is and has been the prime goal for Mercedes in the last 18 months. The power unit, the energy recovery systems and the auxiliaries have all been tailor made to this cars requirements.
Put simply, the customers have had to change their concepts to fit in with the above.

Packaging of the internals on the W05 is supremely compact. It looks tailor made, as it is. My initial thoughts on Mercedes speed is that the car could be quick as a result of many things, not just aero.

Firstly, the power of the Mercedes engine hybrid systems are a clear step ahead of anything out there.

Secondly, Mercedes had a huge net gain coming into this season due to the exhaust ban.
If they could match the DF levels by due to the exhaust, they would be carrying alot more fuel. Hence why we saw them slip back in races last year and the years before.

Thirdly, tyres are not as prone to going off as last year. As with point 2, it helped the team get a near automatic net gain. The tyres can be pushed harder and the heat dissipation is better this year helping them get a monkey off their back.

If you look at the design language of the W04 to the W05, there are many similarities. The front wing looks fantastic and is also a clear evolution of last years wing. So there is a stability, which allows for the team to hone more performance from a stable platform. So aero certainly is a factor in pushing them forwards.

However, when you add the 3 factors up, you begin to see why even as early as last year, alot of people were calling Mercedes AMG out as not just contenders but favourites for 2014.
JET set

Sevach
Sevach

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

CGI but it's what I'm expecting the new nose to look like.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Shrieker

Have Hamilton's problem been declared ? They were saying a misfiring cylinder or something, but I haven't heard anything in detail.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk