2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
JNF
JNF

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Well I got this graph assuming turbo and intercooler working at 70% efficiency in ambient temp of 20 celsius. I have no idea how correct those are, basically just pulled out of a hat.

Very possible that these figures are nowhere close but at least might give some idea how the temps changes with boost.

ringo

this goes with the power chart I posted previously.
For argument's sake, this assumes the turbo is spooled right off the bat by the MHUG.
For Sure!!

ppj13
ppj13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idjTV0ElMD8

Link to a video with many onboards.

Some interesting points:

It looks like both RB and TR are using a lot of post braking to save fuel plus a form of variable speed limit on 7th (could be just torque map).

Bottas on the other hand is not using post braking in this video and it has fantastic overtaking power. Perhaps a push to pass (or pull to pass, because it seems to be a paddle).

Also the force india has some kind of push to pass which is extremely effective.

Terrible low rpm map of the renault at partial throttle. Shakes the hell out of the driver.

Raikonnen having all sorts of braking problems (stalling in some corners, front locks in others).

Magnussen weird start. He pulls away like a sputnik and then spins the rears like crazy in 2ng gear and almost goes to the wall, shift leds not matching the engine rpm that obviously goes to the rev limiter. Must see from onboard.

One question: What's the vertical bar in the dashboard of Rosberg??? You can see it for quite long time going up and down in the last laps of him (towards the end of the video).

PhillipM
PhillipM

From that onboard, it looks like Magnesson's sideways moment at the start was actually a mis-shift, he hits the paddle and it reselects 2nd instead of 3rd?

ppj13
ppj13

Or maybe the mguK kick in at 100 at the worst possible moment.

Anyway, I also noticed, which was the main reason to post the video, that many (I would say all) teams are using 100% throttle below 10500 many times a lap. Some even in long gears, most in the first 4.

Difficult job for the fuel flow sensor.

Juzh

Horner reckons renault PU is 80 bhp shy of merc.

http://youtu.be/hzDN7_AmyVE?t=2m33s

ringo

Hmm interesting... I think he has his politian's hat on when he says that though. He's probably looking at lap times and trap speeds. But it may well be that the mercedes has 80hp more on average but i don't think it has 80hp more peak.
For Sure!!

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

today's race suggests that Williams and Mclaren loaded about 92 and 95 kg of fuel respectively, the others the full 100 kg ?
presumably most teams are doing significant mgu-k 'recovery' from engine running
and the above 2 teams are not

xpensive
xpensive

Juzh wrote:Horner reckons renault PU is 80 bhp shy of merc.

There's no way the Renault ICE would be 80 Hp shy of the Mercedes such, but the ERS-systems is another matter,
in a perfect world this gives you an additional 160 Hp for 33.3s per lap, which is where I figure Renault is lacking.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Juzh

xpensive wrote:
Juzh wrote:Horner reckons renault PU is 80 bhp shy of merc.

There's no way the Renault ICE would be 80 Hp shy of the Mercedes such, but the ERS-systems is another matter,
in a perfect world this gives you an additional 160 Hp for 33.3s per lap, which is where I figure Renault is lacking.
Whatever it is, power deficit of renault PU is significant compared to mercedes. All renault cars were consistently 15-20 kmh slower in S1 speed trap and 10-15kmh slower in S3 speed trap throughout the race. Ferrari was somewhere in between.
Makes you wonder how can the other mercedes powered cars be so bad with such an advantage.

xpensive
xpensive

The other Mercedes-powered teams, like Force India and Williams, are minnows with a fraction of Mercedes' budget.

Not comparable on the same week or month, neither are the drivers.

Juzh

Mclaren? +83.6 secs

xpensive
xpensive

Mc who?

ringo

I noticed that the ferrari engine is respectively fuel efficient.
The williams seem to be the most fuel efficient.

As for the fuel used, i think all cars will have the full 100kg of fuel in the tank. I don't think they will remove 5kg just to be exact.
For Sure!!

xpensive
xpensive

ringo wrote:I noticed that the ferrari engine is respectively fuel efficient.
The williams seem to be the most fuel efficient.
Kindly elaborate on this.