2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

mkay wrote:
Wrong. In full wet, Lewis was much faster and he collided with Button.

Button was much faster once the track dried up and his barn door wing provided him with much greater downforce than his rivals.

The McLaren was the fastest car that day, LH in full wet and Button in drying conditions.
Err....I haven’t said that Button IS the fastest guy under rain conditions, even in that race, I said that he was fast that day under all conditions and even with an astonishing amount of pit stops he won the race, so you can put your money on this guy in those conditions. And yes, the drying track helped him to win, but he has fast too with the rain.

Lewis was very fast that day, but he was too aggressive and he failed, see Michael, he overtook a lot of drivers without exposing him to an incident, too bad that it stopped to rain.

CHT
CHT

Malaysia has been experiencing some dry season of late, I would expect this sunday race to be extremely hot and humid. It will be real challenge for engine.

SilverArrow10

Like I have said. I think there will be more retirements here due to engines than in Australia due to the conditions.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

acidtech
acidtech

iotar__

I refuse to watch pre race press conferences. Boring/no content or instead of asking real questions they're feeding them safe answers, like when they asked Wolff about team orders and instead of examples (what would you do in Malaysia 2013 situation?) they literally said: "so it depends on a situation?" and he promptly answered - yes. Brilliant. Drivers are even worse.

oT v1
oT v1

It's that time again, who's coming out first! :D my money is on Caterham out first, Ferrari upset the Sauber/Caterham battle last time out!
The Power of Dreams

Shrieker

I'm watching the free practice 2 live now, and i think they've done a big change both on the trackside and onboard mics. It feels much better to me ears. Still not as good as testing but closer than was the case in Melbourne.
Last edited by Shrieker on 28 Mar 2014, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

djos

Shrieker wrote:I'm watching the free practice 2 live now, and i think they've done a big change both on the trackside and onboard mics. It feels much better to me ears. Closer to testing sound than was the case in Melbourne.
Good because the Melbourne audio was not representative of real life!
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

Looking at the speed traps data in the timing app it becomes very clear how bad renault engine really is even when they get it working. All renault cars, including red bull, were consistently at the bottom end for S1 and S3 traps. Funny enough both RBs hold the fastest speed trough high speed trap in S2.
Renault -> crap. Simple as that.

Bomber_Pilot

RB has so much downforce it's mind-boggling. And looking at the stint on old mediums, their race pace is very good and it seems they are very gentle to the tires also.

Chuckjr

Is the speed of Ferrari real? They looked much better. Where's Macca? Looks like There was maybe some brake issues with Ham? Seems teams in general were more competitive with Merc.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Juzh wrote:Looking at the speed traps data in the timing app it becomes very clear how bad renault engine really is even when they get it working. All renault cars, including red bull, were consistently at the bottom end for S1 and S3 traps. Funny enough both RBs hold the fastest speed trough high speed trap in S2.
Well, the Renault engine in the Toro Rosso seems to work fine.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

aral
aral

Juzh wrote:Looking at the speed traps data in the timing app it becomes very clear how bad renault engine really is even when they get it working. All renault cars, including red bull, were consistently at the bottom end for S1 and S3 traps. Funny enough both RBs hold the fastest speed trough high speed trap in S2.
The speed through various traps is governed by various factors. Aero, gearing, mechanical grip etc. All that matters is the time around a full lap where all factors manifest themselves. In that respect, the Renault engine cannot be faulted.

Juzh

Blanchimont wrote:
Well, the Renault engine in the Toro Rosso seems to work fine.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
But they have no pace at all.
I'm not talking about this speed trap data though. I'm talking about the ones for each sector shown in f1 live timing app. A very clear pattern was seen quite easily showing renault heavy down on power.

Juzh

gilgen wrote: In that respect, the Renault engine cannot be faulted.
Except it can you know. Everytime you step on full throttle you're losing out to the others around you. And that manifests in slower lap time.