Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
roadie

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

The FWEPs are very simple, but it's obvious Williams have a different aero approach to the other teams this season with the degree to which the sidepods are undercut on the FW36.

As we saw last season, the relatively simple FW35 ran well at the aero heavy first sector in Austin. However, it cannot be denied that the engine is a massive boost for the car versus the Renault.

Sevach
Sevach

If we are to go with "simple vs intrincate" one area i think the FW36 is very minimalistic is the diffuser gurney.

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Friday (28.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

roadie

Sevach wrote:http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 568000.jpg

If we are to go with "simple vs intrincate" one area i think the FW36 is very minimalistic is the diffuser gurney.
The FW36 appears weak on downforce at the rear, with both drivers remarking on this. This appears to be hurting the long run pace of the car at this track:
Rosberg, remaining on the medium tyre, saw just a 1.7s drop in lap time across 11 laps compared to a three-second deficit for the Williams of Felipe Massa
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/03/r ... -problems/

Sevach
Sevach

Agreed, everything the drivers say tell us they need to find a way to get more downforce on the rear.

el-Magico
el-Magico

To my untrained eye, this flow-viz doesn't look that great.. lots of separation on the RW?
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

boyracer94
boyracer94

The flow appears to migrate towards the endplates more than others.

Seamus
Seamus

el-Magico wrote:To my untrained eye, this flow-viz doesn't look that great.. lots of separation on the RW?

kalinka
kalinka

Maybe they were trying some bigger rear wing AoA to gain some rear DF, but the wing stalled. Both drivers complained of lack of rear DF, so maybe they just tried here something. As the supposed updates are not yet available, there's not much else they could try.

Gridlock

ringo wrote:This car's desgin looks dated..
And a 'more complex' design worked so well last year?

roadie

Can anyone confirm how the rear wing is supported? Is it directly mounted to the floor, or to the rear crash structure by the low wing the team runs just above the floor?

Sevach
Sevach

roadie wrote:Can anyone confirm how the rear wing is supported? Is it directly mounted to the floor, or to the rear crash structure by the low wing the team runs just above the floor?
I think it's both endplates to the floor and the low wing.

ringo

Gridlock wrote:
ringo wrote:This car's desgin looks dated..
And a 'more complex' design worked so well last year?
Not complexity,.. detail. Detail is not necessarily to do with having many fandangles on the wings.
I'm looking on the details of the profiles. and also the end plate detail.

The sidepod desgin is also done by the same person or group of persons for the past 3 or 4 years. That's also apparent.

I'm just saying i'm a bit skeptical on Williams' new found boost in performance. I think it's all engine and drivability.
Soon they're going to fade to fighting for p11 in Q2 if they don't have rapid development.
For Sure!!

ringo

geraldix wrote:
ringo wrote:This car's desgin looks dated.. They need a new pilosophy for their front wing among others.
As the season wears on, it will be more obvious that the engine was the main reason for the good early performances.
I don't think the car is up to par aerodynamically with the front runners.
You are right. The car clearly lacks ellipses.
Lovely contribution! =D>

it was funny the first 100 times. And the really ironic part it's supported scientifically as opposed to even crazier made up stuff on this forum.

Keep up the good work. Post that very same joke 2 weeks from now. Never gets old! :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

el-Magico wrote:To my untrained eye, this flow-viz doesn't look that great.. lots of separation on the RW?
http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 568000.jpg
No, there's no separation there. In fact, it looks great – it's pushing air both outwards and upwards. What you want to look for for separation is swirly unordered patterns, not thick or thin lines of flow vis – that just indicates uneven placement of the paint (or possibly some aero effect further up the car that is concentrating air into that area.