Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F14T

New cooling grils engine cover.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gilles 27

It's just me or was the Ferrari this time with more Rack underway?

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Friday (28.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

performergr
performergr

http://www.msfree.gr/ms.php?id=31772
In the first rounds of the Australian GP , 2 weeks ago , the cars of Ferrari were clearly off the pace and lost a lot of ground . The reason for this was that for the first two laps of the race Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen could not use the 120 extra horsepower gives the energy recovery system .

The Italian team after the finish started an investigation to ascertain the causes of this dysfunction and found that a fault software problem the central control unit . This year , the FIA, in collaboration with the FOM, is fitting in a routine that does not allow the use of MGU-K (Motor Generator Unit-Kinetic) at the start of the race, until the cars reach the speed of 100 km / h . In the case of both the Ferrari system malfunction prevented any use motor at the start of the race because the central unit never reached the mandated that the cars had overcome the aforementioned speed.

Drivers , with the help of their team , found a way to circumvent the blockade but still had all the power at their disposal. Only after the first pit stop the system reset and did so from then on could use the ERS until the end of the match .

For the race in Malaysia have made ​​specific modifications to the software given to Ferrari for the control mechanism mentioned above , so as to exclude the possibility for this to occur in the future .

zonk
zonk

bhallg2k wrote:
flyboy2160 wrote:[...]

But if they are providing lift, then their vortices will be in the opposite direction to those of the rear wing.
Exactly. And I do agree that at least the "roots" of the winglets do appear to have trailing edges pointed down, presumably to direct air over the engine cover to provide cooling flow for all those cooling inlets along the "spine." Otherwise, the camber points to lift.

http://i.imgur.com/LfxqmK1.jpg

In any case, if cooling, or just straight up downforce, is the reason for the winglets, wouldn't it make sense to use something more like this...

http://i.imgur.com/VXvMjIS.jpg

...but inverted? Why suffer the drag penalty of tip vortices if you don't have to?
Maybe to deal with airbox 'air spillage' during the braking and turning in?

bhall
bhall

Now there's a thought. But, with a forced induction engine?

aral
aral

Interesting row of vents each side of the spine of the engine cover. Were these there before?

f300v10
f300v10

gilgen wrote:Interesting row of vents each side of the spine of the engine cover. Were these there before?
There were some vents present in Australia, but fewer of them.

Edit: actually it was in testing. They seem to have been closed of in Australia. This shot is from Bahrain:

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Good look at the rear suspension of the F14 T.

diffuser

f300v10 wrote:
gilgen wrote:Interesting row of vents each side of the spine of the engine cover. Were these there before?
There were some vents present in Australia, but fewer of them.

Edit: actually it was in testing. They seem to have been closed of in Australia. This shot is from Bahrain:

http://i.imgur.com/bgtlu5l.jpg
Here is a shot from Australia Image taken from page 87 of this forum. you clearily see they were there and blocked off.

KennyBama

Snelle Eddy wrote:
f1rules wrote:i dont understand Ferrari have not adopted the merc nosecone design, should not be that dificult to copy, but offcourse if it doesnt fit their aero philosophy
I think you just explained your own remark :wink:
IMO the F14T nose will prove to be the right design. That's the last of Scuderia's worries..

majki2111

What about extra shield for engine cover? Was that put or not? I think i read Ferrari have/had(?) 3 kg lighter engine cover cause of it.

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Friday (28.03.2014)

smhasan7
smhasan7

Think James Allison was right about the aero of the car, being quick in quick corners, that's what he said? They're not doing too bad until FP3, scrapping for 2nd fastest team this weekend.

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Saturday (29.03.2014)