Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Someone said that Lewis engine/PU issue in Melbourne was due to a loose connector and according to Sky they run it on FP1 to see if everything is working fine and fortunately it was ok ...
But they also said that this PU it`ll be used at a later date back in the championship and my silly question is how could they managed to change their PU with a new one in a space of 2 and a half hours?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

beelsebob
beelsebob

atanatizante wrote:Someone said that Lewis engine/PU issue in Melbourne was due to a loose connector and according to Sky they run it on FP1 to see if everything is working fine and fortunately it was ok ...
But they also said that this PU it`ll be used at a later date back in the championship and my silly question is how could they managed to change their PU with a new one in a space of 2 and a half hours?
Simple... they changed it. The early reports of "zomg, it's taking 12 hours to change a PU" from the first days of testing were overblown for multiple reasons. 1) The engineers had never put the PU together in the car before, and had a long check list to make sure it all went correctly 2) Practice makes everything quicker 3) Probably many of the long wait times people highlighted with it were caused by teams bullshitting to justify not being able to run for the rest of the day.

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Friday (28.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gaz.
Gaz.

beelsebob wrote:
atanatizante wrote:Someone said that Lewis engine/PU issue in Melbourne was due to a loose connector and according to Sky they run it on FP1 to see if everything is working fine and fortunately it was ok ...
Simple... they changed it. The early reports of "zomg, it's taking 12 hours to change a PU" from the first days of testing were overblown for multiple reasons. 1) The engineers had never put the PU together in the car before, and had a long check list to make sure it all went correctly 2) Practice makes everything quicker 3) Probably many of the long wait times people highlighted with it were caused by teams bullshitting to justify not being able to run for the rest of the day.
Maybe I misheard Ted but I thought he said Mercedes would change from PU#1 to PU#2 during Friday evening, ready for Saturday morning>
Forza Jules

ImAnEngineer
ImAnEngineer

Gaz. wrote:Maybe I misheard Ted but I thought he said Mercedes would change from PU#1 to PU#2 during Friday evening, ready for Saturday morning>
Yes, this is what happens at every race weekend. They will probably use the Melbourne race engine for the next few events' practice sessions then maybe bring it out again for the Monaco race or something. They use different engines for Friday to save them for the race.

diego.liv
diego.liv

From what i'va understood, they don't change the entire unit:
the PU is composed by 6 elements (engine, mgu-k, mgu-h, turbocharger, energy store, and control electronics) and you can use a maximum of 5 pieces of the same element
they can have changed the engine without incurring in penalty

*Edit: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/1/15408.html
6th paragraph

LightningLewis
LightningLewis

Didn't Mercedes change engine cover between Q1 and Q2? From cannon to the closed one used in Melbourn?

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

LightningLewis wrote:Didn't Mercedes change engine cover between Q1 and Q2? From cannon to the closed one used in Melbourn?
They can't! cars are in parc fermé after exiting from the box in Q1, if I am right! :)

siskue2005

Yes you are right blackswan

RicerDude

LightningLewis wrote:Didn't Mercedes change engine cover between Q1 and Q2? From cannon to the closed one used in Melbourn?
Yes they did.

Huntresa
Huntresa

RicerDude wrote:
Yes they did.
Or they ran one with cannon and one without ?

diego.liv
diego.liv

I think this image is from Q3, Alonso joining the Merc pair in pit before last chance to set a lap (during which ROS claimed P3)
Me also think that Merc begin Q1 with the larger engine cover

About parc-fermè
Ferrari's Marc Gene was saying that red pit crew would have hoped to send Alonso back on track without fine tuning camber angles and whatever could have been changed by the touch with Kvyat

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Saturday (29.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

pmneo
pmneo

Gaz. wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Maybe I misheard Ted but I thought he said Mercedes would change from PU#1 to PU#2 during Friday evening, ready for Saturday morning>

AMuS wrote that they will use the Melbourne PU the whole weekend!

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 24932.html

They have located and solved the Problem which was a possible fault for all Merc PUs!

ringo

You know i have a feeling the last issue could have been down to the water from the qualifying at melbourne.
Maybe some moisture got into a crevice and affected Hamilton's engine.

Let's hope we don't have a misfiring engine in the malaysian GP.
For Sure!!