2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ferraripilot

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

If it's dry tomorrow, no one stands a chance against MB, they're still a second clear of anyone. Red Bull still have a slight aero advantage but their engine is not drivable albeit does have good power. Sector 2 qualy today is not a power sector and Lewis was ahead of anyone there. W05 still needs more front wing as it was consistently understeering a bit. I believe it's possible for Ferrari to podium here if it's dry, the car looks good here.

Ferraripilot

gray41 wrote:Wet tyres Lewis always had the advantage on Nico, I think on Inters it might have been a different story.
Truth

iotar__

ringo wrote:I wouldn't draw much from a wet qualifying. Vettel can still get some whoopings from Riciardo. And i'm looking forward to it!
Unlike KMag embarrassing button, i think Ric and Vettel are shaping up to be a nice driver head to head.

I like how the ferrari is driving at this circuit. It showing it's winter testing form again. It's very likely that Alonso finds the podium, depending on how Mercedes do with tyre management.
As for Vettel and redbull.. i think they can win this race.. The car has the best aero clearly. Maybe he wont be able to overtake a mercedes, but if the degradation is good and lap times are good, he can get past in the pits.
How is Magnussen "embarrassing" Button, you do know about tyres? At the time I thought it wasn't bad thing to gamble for McL especially in Q3, not much to lose.

Lotus on the other hand are close to perfect 100% record of not getting anything right in Q when it rains (and roughly 75% when it doesn't) - they call it "miscommunication". It would be funny to see them in top 10.

Unc1eM0nty

Some big gaps among team mates

0.6 between Hammy & Rosber
1+ between Vettel & Ricardo
1+ between Alonso & Kimi

Should be a good fight between Rb & Ferarri tomorrow, I don't think either team will trouible the Mercedes (unless it's wet)

Interesting to hear Rosberg saying that he was struggling with the braking, it sounds like Hammy has a better feel / understaning for the car this year.

ringo

Kimi looks to have a good dry weather pace nonetheless.
Alonso is killing him softly, but in a similar way to when he was new at lotus and had to get a feel for the car, he will improve as the year goes on.

on a side note, does anyone else find the tyre noise creepy? :)
It sounds like a dying person's scream.
For Sure!!

jurinius
jurinius

Ferraripilot wrote:
gray41 wrote:Wet tyres Lewis always had the advantage on Nico, I think on Inters it might have been a different story.
Truth
Yeah It can be a different story everytime. The diff time on Inters was around 0"013 Nico ahead Is that enough at Q3 nobody knows #-o
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

AnthonyG

Shrieker wrote:
AfroDude41 wrote:Pole Lap from Lewis Hamilton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqhHHpauqAw
Thanks a lot :wink: Very tidy lap given the conditions, I'd love to see Vettel's lap too for comparison.

Just saw on the 720p version that the left glove is carrying a watch sticker lol. Capitalism...
IWC Big Pilot
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

astracrazy
astracrazy

just watched quali. God sky are annoying me (martin and david). They kept talking about people trying to improve there times and how vettel could have pipped hamilton for pole if he got through in time. Not once did they realise the track was getting worse and no one improved their time - in fact everyone was a good 2 secs off.

In fact there was plenty of mistakes from them to during the session. sometimes them to seem away with the fairies.

Phillyred
Phillyred

ringo wrote:on a side note, does anyone else find the tyre noise creepy? :)
It sounds like a dying person's scream.
Yes, that's the one thing I noticed during pitstops at last week's race.. Very bizarre to hear the tires squeal due to the "quiet" engines... Maybe if we listen closely we can hear Kimi being sassy to his engineers through his helmet!

el-Magico
el-Magico

astracrazy wrote:just watched quali. God sky are annoying me (martin and david). They kept talking about people trying to improve there times and how vettel could have pipped hamilton for pole if he got through in time. Not once did they realise the track was getting worse and no one improved their time - in fact everyone was a good 2 secs off.

In fact there was plenty of mistakes from them to during the session. sometimes them to seem away with the fairies.
Unfortunately Rosberg improved... :roll: therefor Alonso is 4th
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Xero

Was Buttons own choice to chance the Inters in Q3. He's had fantastic success with his gambling in those conditions in the past, and hadn't it rained again I think it could have been another good call. Worth a shot when only a couple of places higher was a realistic possibility.

Looking forward to the race, anything is possible!

zeph
zeph

In case of rain, my money is on Alonso FTW.

Phillyred
Phillyred

I get the feeling Lewis will be in 3rd after turn 1 regardless of wet/dry.. Vettel will be very aggressive causing Lewis to overcook the brakes and run a little wide letting Vettel and Rosberg pass.. I hope this isn't the case, but this scenario has befallen Hamilton before starting from pole.

el-Magico
el-Magico

Phillyred wrote:I get the feeling Lewis will be in 3rd after turn 1 regardless of wet/dry.. Vettel will be very aggressive causing Lewis to overcook the brakes and run a little wide letting Vettel and Rosberg pass.. I hope this isn't the case, but this scenario has befallen Hamilton before starting from pole.
Hamilton and Vettel collide @ turn 1 finishing both their race.. How would that be, after two races still 0-points..
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

beelsebob
beelsebob

Neither of those will happen, because as we saw last race, the Merc will be far into the distance by turn 1.