Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ACJJ619
ACJJ619

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

ringo wrote:You know i have a feeling the last issue could have been down to the water from the qualifying at melbourne.
Maybe some moisture got into a crevice and affected Hamilton's engine.

Let's hope we don't have a misfiring engine in the malaysian GP.
The problem has been confirmed as cracks in the rubber seals for the spark plugs. The issue has since been rectified by injector-moulding the rubber seals and has been applied to all the Mercedes engines.

techF1LES

gray41

Did Nico and Lewis run with different cooling outlets in qualifying?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Shakeman

gray41 wrote:Did Nico and Lewis run with different cooling outlets in qualifying?
IIRC they both had maximum cooling version of the engine cover.

diego.liv
diego.liv

I think this image is from Q3, Alonso joining the Merc pair in pit before last chance to set a lap (during which ROS claimed P3)
Me also think that Merc begin Q1 with the larger engine cover

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/36128/ ... ta-bagnata

About parc-fermè
Ferrari's Marc Gene was saying that red pit crew would have hoped to send Alonso back on track without fine tuning camber angles and whatever could have been changed by the touch with Kvyat, so parc-fermè starts at the end of qualy

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

diego.liv wrote:I think this image is from Q3, Alonso joining the Merc pair in pit before last chance to set a lap (during which ROS claimed P3)
Me also think that Merc begin Q1 with the larger engine cover

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/36128/ ... ta-bagnata

About parc-fermè
Ferrari's Marc Gene was saying that red pit crew would have hoped to send Alonso back on track without fine tuning camber angles and whatever could have been changed by the touch with Kvyat, so parc-fermè starts at the end of qualy
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/03/h ... /#comments
15. Posted By: Nuno
Date: March 29th, 2014 @ 2:07 pm
James,
Can Ferrari work on Alonso’s car to balance the steering during parc ferme?

[Reply]

James Allen Reply:
March 29th, 2014 at 5:25 pm

They can replace anything broken or damaged

[Reply]

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

The_Truth
The_Truth

I was wondering if Aldo Costas is the main responsible of the F1 W05 chassis. Can anyone give me this information please?

turbof1

I moved the non-car related stuff to the team thread. Please, please try to keep the focus on the technical aspect of the car guys.
#AeroFrodo

astracrazy
astracrazy

The_Truth wrote:I was wondering if Aldo Costas is the main responsible of the F1 W05 chassis. Can anyone give me this information please?

No one is solely responsible in the way you are thinking. They don't work like other teams do who have multiple TD's - or did. Like Macca used to alternate who designs the car. Merc don't do that, they pass the design along.

Geoff Willis looks into concepts and lays down the foundations before he passes it on to Costa who oversees that actual design of the car. So Geoff will already be working on the w06 which Costa will most likely start taking on half way through this year. I'd expect Willis to already be doing very early concept work on the w07 as well.

Bob Bell over sees both areas.

Someone else might be able to correct me if i'm wrong.

But this is why the w04 and now the w05 are much better cars because they have gone through this process. (maybe the w05 is the first car to go through it completely - they have been working on it for 2/3yrs)

beelsebob
beelsebob

There's absolutely no reason to not bring updates in order to "hide" them. If you do that, all that's going to happen is that you bring them in 5 races time when you do need them and then discover that they don't actually work.

Teams need to test new parts.

It's clear to me that the only reason you wouldn't bring parts is because you can't.

turbof1

Sigh... like handling a ton of running wild pigs...

This was the note from the previous page:
Please, please try to keep the focus on the technical aspect of the car guys.

As far as I can remember, holding back updates, masking pace and testing aren't part of this technical aspect. They are of strategic value, and thus belong in the team thread.

Understand that we get, rightly so, complaints on a daily basis about people going off topic in the car threads. I feel it's everybodies duty to safe-guard that. There's a level of quality expected with those threads and wild discussions about managerial aspects makes it much more difficult to have coherent technical debates.

I'm putting this topic in a 24h lockdown. I realise I'm not making myself popular with this, but the intend is to get this message thoroughly readed, interpreted and fully understood so that by tomorrow everybody is ready to talk about the actual car and not any strategic use of it.

#AeroFrodo

turbof1

Are we ready for another attempt?

Again:
-TECHNICAL talk people!
-Everything about the hardware and about software having influence on the hardware is allowed.
-Technical talk
-Strategic use of the car isn't allowed here, but is in the team thread: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 15&t=17215
-Same goes for laptimes, driver awesomeness and car pwnage.
-Technical talk !!!

Also a friendly request that when taking over images that were previously posted in this topic, not to use image tags. Just the link please.
#AeroFrodo

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Hey guys, i think the merc wing has a very nice vortex generator wich channels air in a circular motion around the inside of the front tyre and under the brake ducts. It looks imo very good aerodynamicly even though i'm not an expert. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

dren

That curve is motivating the air to move away from the front tire. It's not swirling the air, it is moving it up and outward.
Honda!