Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

It's the old nose people. If things seem subtly different, it's because they aren't and that you are another victim of the ferucious optical illusion.

Moving on.
#AeroFrodo

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

How neat is the engine install and packaging on this car! Absolutely awesome and to my eyes a step above anything else on the grid. They all look like over complicated rats nests with way too many components too high in the engine bay compared to Merc.

Seriously good work. =D>

SiLo

Alexgtt wrote:How neat is the engine install and packaging on this car! Absolutely awesome and to my eyes a step above anything else on the grid. They all look like over complicated rats nests with way too many components too high in the engine bay compared to Merc.

Seriously good work. =D>
I was just saying this in the RB10 thread, all the Merc engines look seriously well thought out pieces of kit =D>

Not much difference in the old and new wings, why have they not run the new ones yet? Not enough improvement over the old one? Less consistent?
Felipe Baby!

Blackout

All power units look equally messy or equally neat. You are comparing fully assembled cars with cars which are not finished yet.
Mercedes made the right choice IMO by locating the compressor in front of the engine, that has many advantages and few drawbakes. The Log type exhaust look nice too. But the whole packaging hasnt a much different look compared to the others.
It surely doesnt look more tidy. The details are nice. not the look.

[edited for 'colorful' language. Flyboy 2160]

markn93

The reason in Aus was no spares so if one drivers broke then they'd have a sort of RB Silverstone 2010 situation on their hands. Not sure about Mal but I'd guess the same reason. Or perhaps they feel they don't need to?

SiLo

Blackout wrote:BS.
All power units look equally messy or equally neat. You are comparing fully assembled cars with cars which are not finished yet.
Mercedes made the right choice IMO by locating the compressor in front of the engine, that has many advantages and few drawbakes. The Log type exhaust look nice too. But the whole packaging hasnt a much different look compared to the others.
It surely doesnt look more tidy. The details are nice. not the look.
Not our fault RB and Renault couldn't get their act together, that's why we are applauding them...

And in Aus it made sense in case they broke one, but they did the same in Malaysia, maybe because of the wet quail?
Felipe Baby!

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2014 - Friday (04.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

gray41

Newest front wing stayed on the car throughout both sessions.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

SiLo

Did they lose the small extension that was in the middle of the diffuser?
Felipe Baby!

atanatizante

Last year they have had a 3 way secure wheel lock or anti-wheell-off or whatever they call it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

After several prior warnings, I just deleted a bunch of "new livery posts." They go in the Team thread. Thanks to those reporting them. Flyboy Steve.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2014 - Saturday (05.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

techF1LES

Not new, but interesting difference between windscreen on both Mercedes cars...

Anon123
Anon123

Why are they different? I assume Lewis has a smaller one because he sits lower in the car and Nico's larger screen has the cuts in it to reduce drag.

SiLo

I think it's preference, I remember watching an interview with Lewis where he said he gets to choose. I think he was at Mclaren at the time and Button didn't have one...

It will cause a tiny amount of drag, but I'm assuming it is to do with Rosberg being taller, it should stop buffeting at higher speeds.
Felipe Baby!