Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tomazy
tomazy

Re: Ferrari F14T

Ganxxta wrote:
hollus wrote:http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/89/4fyq.png

From this gear comparison, Ferrari is geared much shorter than all other top teams. They might be facing a top speed / DRS / slipstream problem that can make it difficult to overtake, and even more difficult to defend; if not already in Bahrain, then in China. Last year's top speed in China were about 320Km/h. This year more than 330 is to be expected. To be at 330Km/h in 8th gear, the Ferraris need to hit, and sustain, 12200 RPM, and about 12600 at 340. Not sure the engine will like that.
Whats the source of this comparison?

Ferrari doesn't even have a 8th gear in this, as most other teams... apart from McLaren... :roll:

Also optimistic to have Redbulls 7th Gear to go up to 370, whereas they already are using 8th gear in Bahrain at about 310km/h.
I have to correct you on this. Ferrari doesn't have 1st gear in this graph, as most other teams. All gears have difirent colors, and 8th gear is pink if you look at Mclaren that have all 8 gears on there.

kaido
kaido

From this gear comparison, Ferrari is geared much shorter than all other top teams. They might be facing a top speed / DRS / slipstream problem that can make it difficult to overtake, and even more difficult to defend; if not already in Bahrain, then in China. Last year's top speed in China were about 320Km/h. This year more than 330 is to be expected. To be at 330Km/h in 8th gear, the Ferraris need to hit, and sustain, 12200 RPM, and about 12600 at 340. Not sure the engine will like that.
i'm not sure how correct that graph is Sky F1 where talking about the gearing post-qualfy they where saying that both the Mclaren and Ferrari where geared since longer than the other teams. I am not sure how correct that is watching the coverage i did see Ferrari use 8th gear on the main straight

kaido
kaido

What is the source of that graph? During Sky F1 coverage of qualifying they made comments regarding the gearing of the Ferrari saying that both Ferrari and McLaren seem to have there cars gears slightly longer than the rest of the field

MuseF1
MuseF1

Also optimistic to have Redbulls 7th Gear to go up to 370, whereas they already are using 8th gear in Bahrain at about 310km/h.
I had a look at the Merc pole lap posted in the Bahrain GP thread and Rosberg in 7th is at 325kph at 11500rpm which agrees with the graph. The Red Bull at 310kph is around the speed you want to change to 8th gear as indicated by the graph and concurs with what you say about the Red Bull changing to 8th at 310kph, so there's nothing to indicate that the graph is wrong.

Maybe Ferrari feel that a higher top speed is not worth it considering the amount of circuits you could potentially use that top speed is quite small and dependant on when you can use DRS. Although the graph indicates that Sauber and Marussia have a similar gearing to maybe it's a consequence of having a Ferrari engine.

NormalChris
NormalChris

tomazy wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:

Ferrari doesn't even have a 8th gear in this, as most other teams... apart from McLaren... :roll:

I have to correct you on this. Ferrari doesn't have 1st gear in this graph, as most other teams. All gears have difirent colors, and 8th gear is pink if you look at Mclaren that have all 8 gears on there.
What can be deduced from this graph about the Ferrari powertrain? The ratios on the Ferrari cars are much closer than the other PU manufacturers. Can a hypothesis be made about where they're particularly lacking- torque,hp,ERS- from their gearing philosophy? Ferrari must be down on power from Renault as well if their theoretical top speed is this much lower. Right? Or am I misinterpreting the graph?

I still have trouble believing this graph is accurate. Is there really a ~65kph difference in top speed gearing between the merc and marussia? I know the teams have totally different goals which would definitely affect their prefered for ratios, but srsly?

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

tomazy wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:

Ok, I stand corrected. ;)

But still I would like to know the source :D

In testing Ferrari did 349km/h I believe in Bahrain, if they used the same gear ratios as stated here they would have absolutely maxed out already, so I doubt they would use shorter gears, also thinking about China/Monza/Spa etc.
They can theoretically go up to 15000RPM for higher top speed, but I don't think any team can/will do this (100kg/h fuel flow and reliability etc.).

hollus

Rivals, not enemies.

Pierce89

max_speed wrote:did rumored software update come at all ?. i dnt see any improvement in terms of power delivery improvement in last 2 practice sessions.
How would one see an improvement in power delivery? I think the software upgrades are more about getting full benefit from the ERS systems.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

321apex
321apex

diffuser wrote:where did all the wires exiting that red connector go from
http://i.imgur.com/9bcJj3q.jpg

to

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 769281.jpg
For me these appear to be tubes as if someone instrumented the upright to measure pressures.

seinfeld
seinfeld

Kansas wrote:anyone has the picture of ferrari 's new suspension built for Kimi enquiries?
I havent found any. but what I did see. was it was basically a castor change . and the change was more + castor, the wheels were brought forward more (or the suspension arms lengthened and put further back on the chassis) Sebastian bourdais complained about this very same problem when he was in Torro Rosso. the fact they had to rebuild the entire suspension system just to change the castor was outrageous. when all they should do is allow the suspension arms the ability to move (pretty easy thing to do)

Rob#51
Rob#51

Fernando said yesterday that he was loosing power in Q3. Any big problems?

Boost
Boost

Ganxxta wrote:

You are assuming that they change up at the redline, they don't. Peak fuel flow is reached at 10500rpm and as this limits peak power there is no real point in revving to 15000rpm. So the RBR can go much faster in 7th than is indicated by its change point.

Blackout

Racecar engineering has better pictures of the Ferrari engine and gearbox
(Marussia)
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/marussia-mr03/

timbo
timbo

I wonder how much heat is disspated by the exhaust manifold. On Merc the log exhaust is much more compact and seems to have some heat protection, on Renaut there's massive shielding installed. The bigger the losses between the cylinder exit and turbine inlet the less effective turbine is.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Boost wrote:You are assuming that they change up at the redline, they don't. Peak fuel flow is reached at 10500rpm and as this limits peak power there is no real point in revving to 15000rpm. So the RBR can go much faster in 7th than is indicated by its change point.
No I don't. :wink:
:arrow:
Ganxxta wrote:They can theoretically go up to 15000RPM for higher top speed, but I don't think any team can/will do this (100kg/h fuel flow and reliability etc.).
Still I think 13000RPM is the max anyone will rev this year.
And one has also to count in drag which is increasing at those high speeds, so we will have to wait for at least China to see if for example Sauber will be a rolling obstacle with ~50km/h topspeed difference.