2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

GP2 pole lap: 1m38.865

Fastest Kamui lap Friday: 1m38.257

Fastest Marcus lap Friday: 1m39.136

Yeah, it's slow. I though not, but it is.

Andres125sx

rjsa wrote:GP2 pole lap: 1m38.865

So even when you compare first FP day of the slowest F1 car with the pole lap of GP2, F1 is still faster...

Thanks for the data :mrgreen:

ylk1
ylk1

@megz.. If I am not wrong, the sauber is powered by a ferrari for that season. and it's drivability is worse (without tc) compared to the renault v10.

rjsa
rjsa

Andres125sx wrote:
rjsa wrote:GP2 pole lap: 1m38.865

So even when you compare first FP day of the slowest F1 car with the pole lap of GP2, F1 is still faster...

Thanks for the data :mrgreen:
Sure? Read it again... #-o

iotar__

rjsa wrote:
Sure? Read it again... #-o
How about you read it again. You compared apples to oranges twice to draw conclusion you wanted.

Töm87
Töm87

I think calling the current cars slow is a bit misleading.
These are still really fast cars.
The pole this year in Bahrain will likely be some 3,5-4 seconds slower than the monsters of 04/05.
To put things in perspective, those cars were close to some 10 seconds a lap faster than F1 of the mid 90es.
Considering all the rule changes to slow down the cars their speed potential is still remarkably high.
I don't think for the viewers it makes much of a difference if a car goes 4 seconds a lap faster or slower. I don't really think you can see this. As long as Formula One is clearly the fastest Motorsport i'm fine with it.
Certainly the cars of let's say 1995 weren't anything less spectacular to watch although they were quiet sloe compared to our modern expectations.
The problem of today's cars is that they are not "mean" anymore. From an outside perspective they look so easy and smooth to drive. The driver doesn't seem to fight in order to keep the car on the track. This gets especially bad of course when the cars are in "cruise mode" during the race. The cars simply have too much downforce in comparison to their engine power. That what make's them look dull.

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

This years GP2 pole is within last years F1 pole 107% and will likely be well within this years. Thats kind of sad. To me a lesser series shouldn't be able to qualify for the higher series grid on speed.

Töm87
Töm87

ChrisM40 wrote:This years GP2 pole is within last years F1 pole 107% and will likely be well within this years. Thats kind of sad. To me a lesser series shouldn't be able to qualify for the higher series grid on speed.
Ok, that's true to be fair.
GP2 cats are quiet fast :shock:

Whats the budget of an GP 2 team? It's a bit odd that GP2 are that fast with a fraction of the Formula One budgets.

Sevach
Sevach

Töm87 wrote: Whats the budget of an GP 2 team? It's a bit odd that GP2 are that fast with a fraction of the Formula One budgets.
Dietrich is that you? :lol:

McMrocks
McMrocks

It's odd GP2 isn't a lot faster considering the much bigger diffuser and beam wing.

siskue2005

2014 pole time 1:33.186
2013 pole time 1:32.330

just 0.8 sec slow with less df, 50kg extra, smaller engines and harder tyres 8)

i dont think they slow

WhiteBlue

siskue2005 wrote:just 0.8 sec slow with less df, 50kg extra, smaller engines and harder tyres 8)
i dont think they slow
agree
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sevach
Sevach

siskue2005 wrote:harder tyres 8)
On this track in partciular that isn't true, last year they had mediums as options here.

Plus the fact that the temp drops a lot for the night and makes the cars faster.

strad

Red Bull master designer Adrian Newey has mocked Formula One's new engine rules, claiming they have produced slower cars without achieving the intended green goals.

Speaking ahead of Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix, Newey — who designed the cars that won Red Bull the past four drivers' championships — said the new 1.6 liter V6 turbo hybrid engines have increased costs and slowed down the cars for little benefit.

He said the environmental aims of the hybrid engine could have been more efficiently met by reducing the cars' weight without compromising speed, and that there were more ways to be relevant to commercial car production than fuel efficiency alone.

"The cost has gone up hugely to create this," Newey said. "If you put that cost into weight saving, you might be better off in many cases, so to automatically say that this is some huge benefit for mankind is taking a bit of a big leap.
I have tried without success to tell you todays cars are not as quick...Willl you believe Newey?
It's all a farce that is downright shameful.
A total sham.
source ABC news
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pierce89

I just hate that the cars are visibly slower in the aero corners.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher