2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Also, did you guys catch the % ES being used a lap on the display during the race? I couldn't figure out if it was on a lap by lap basis or overall average. It was changing enough that I think it was a lap by lap basis. It was in the range to signify a rather large MGUH to MGUK flow if we are to assume 160hp total at the MGUK.

Also of note, the Mercedes were revving to 13k on the straights during qualifying.
Honda!

Paul

I figured it's the flow from the battery in % from maximum allowed per lap. That's why it reset at the finish line. A bit like KERS battery graphics use to be, only inverted, resets to 0% used instead of 100% available.

ppj13
ppj13

http://i.imgur.com/E2S3qeJ.jpg

A guy posted this wastegate comparison photo at the williams thread.

The ferrari setup seems to have two wastegates, one for each exhaust manifold (bank). The whole setup seems to be able to manage the same flow thorugh the turbine or around it.

Merc and renault use a lot smaller (really) pipe.

Don't know what to make of it.

Also, the heat shield in the williams could suggest a turbine with two entries. Do we have evidence of merc using single entry turbine?

Juzh

What do you think is the reason ferrari is 24kmh down on their pre-season testing record of 340kmh in speed trap?

xpensive
xpensive

Juzh wrote:What do you think is the reason ferrari is 24kmh down on their pre-season testing record of 340kmh in speed trap?
The fuel-flow limiter, without that the V6 turbo could easily produce 800 Hp.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

motobaleno

Juzh wrote:What do you think is the reason ferrari is 24kmh down on their pre-season testing record of 340kmh in speed trap?
now it is quite clear that in some laps during the test they used all the electrical power in that single straight (in fact lap times were always bad during high top speed laps while in the good time laps the top speed was always much smaller)

motobaleno

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472 ... m-the-edge

pretty interesting

so the turbo is not simply splitted is "massively" splitted :)
simple as columbus egg when you see it.
if you only think for a while...basically much of the reason of the intercooler is that the turbine reaches 1000 c...and the heat contaminates the compressor...
so if you reparate them not only interposing between them the ERS (heat conduction still being an issue) but placing them at the opposite end of the engine...that''s really radical.
and simple.
after.

motobaleno

xpensive wrote:
The fuel-flow limiter, without that the V6 turbo could easily produce 800 Hp.

i dont' think it was the fuel flow otherwise the laptimes would have been good too (extremely good actually) while during those particular laps they always did poor laptimes.

Juzh

motobaleno wrote:
now it is quite clear that in some laps during the test they used all the electrical power in that single straight (in fact lap times were always bad during high top speed laps while in the good time laps the top speed was always much smaller)
How are they gonna use all that E-power in a single straight? Lets say they're full throttle for 13 seconds on that section. That would mean they would need an ers-k power output of around 400 bhp to be able to deplete all the energy in such a small amount of time. I think no fuel flow limit is much more believable theory.

Paul

Trialling low-drag set-up seems a more plausible reason to me.

Joie de vivre

is mercedes gp only mercedes engine powered team with split turbo? and are other teams allowed to change their design?

Holm86

Joie de vivre wrote:is mercedes gp only mercedes engine powered team with split turbo? and are other teams allowed to change their design?
The power units are a package supplied by the engine manufacturer. Teams can make their own gearboxes and software. Nothing on the engines themselves.

Joie de vivre

so mclaren, FI and williams also have split turbos?

Holm86

Joie de vivre wrote:so mclaren, FI and williams also have split turbos?
yes

langwadt
langwadt

motobaleno wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472 ... m-the-edge

pretty interesting

so the turbo is not simply splitted is "massively" splitted :)
simple as columbus egg when you see it.
if you only think for a while...basically much of the reason of the intercooler is that the turbine reaches 1000 c...and the heat contaminates the compressor...
so if you reparate them not only interposing between them the ERS (heat conduction still being an issue) but placing them at the opposite end of the engine...that''s really radical.
and simple.
after.
placing turbine and compressor at opposite end of the engine with the mgu in the valley has been discussed here quite a while a ago, so I'm sure all the manufacturers have considered the idea