Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Goran2812
Goran2812

Re: Ferrari F14T

[I've edited out a derogatory comment about the car. None of these cars are 'junk,' even the Caterhams and Marussias. ]... there are no words to describe how disappointed I am by the lack of pace this car has... it's just so sad...

anyway, if we ignore marussia and caterham, is the ferrari the only car that doesn't have that cooling/hot air extraction mumbo jumbo on the front brakes?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Let's see if the rumoured software update next race will make the car any better.

Frafer
Frafer

It can be harsh to say, but honestly monza (in front of our crowd) is gonna be a hell of a mess if this race pointed out our real power-delivery status. Lapped at least one time if there will be no SC.
Anyway, back on topic, i really can't explain myself where MB found this gap with a a so strictly regulation, our ERS is incomparable with theirs, because i really believe that the ferrari 1.6 V6 can't be so down on power, or however not that much.
Traction out of slow corners and aerodynamic penetration have to be revisited if ferrari wanna see a podium this year..
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

jonaliew
jonaliew

Frafer wrote:It can be harsh to say, but honestly monza (in front of our crowd) is gonna be a hell of a mess if this race pointed out our real power-delivery status. Lapped at least one time if there will be no SC.
Anyway, back on topic, i really can't explain myself where MB found this gap with a a so strictly regulation, our ERS is incomparable with theirs, because i really believe that the ferrari 1.6 V6 can't be so down on power, or however not that much.
Traction out of slow corners and aerodynamic penetration have to be revisited if ferrari wanna see a podium this year..
There were a backstory of how merc used their experience from their commercial end (http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... m-the-edge). Commercially, I suppose Ferrari is on the losing edge in engine use given that recent Ferrari supercars have been mainly V8s and V12s. I don't remember a V6 turbo (correct me if I am wrong on this).

The car looked decent in the corners but what concerned me more was the delivery of power and speed out of it and in the straight.

I don't know whether it was due an arrangement of their power unit that can help Ferrari. "'Innovation is having the turbo's compressor at one end of the engine and the turbine at the other, linked by a long shaft through the vee of the engine'. Ferrari's turbo unit seemed sound on presentation and I wonder whether any reconfiguration like above is allowed and if so, could it help with the power delivery issues? I look forward to see what China will hold (as with the sponsor claims) or is this something that might take to Europe.

Frafer
Frafer

jonaliew wrote:
Frafer wrote:It can be harsh to say, but honestly monza (in front of our crowd) is gonna be a hell of a mess if this race pointed out our real power-delivery status. Lapped at least one time if there will be no SC.
There were a backstory of how merc used their experience from their commercial end (http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... m-the-edge). Commercially, I suppose Ferrari is on the losing edge in engine use given that recent Ferrari supercars have been mainly V8s and V12s. I don't remember a V6 turbo (correct me if I am wrong on this).

The car looked decent in the corners but what concerned me more was the delivery of power and speed out of it and in the straight.

I don't know whether it was due an arrangement of their power unit that can help Ferrari. "'Innovation is having the turbo's compressor at one end of the engine and the turbine at the other, linked by a long shaft through the vee of the engine'. Ferrari's turbo unit seemed sound on presentation and I wonder whether any reconfiguration like above is allowed and if so, could it help with the power delivery issues? I look forward to see what China will hold (as with the sponsor claims) or is this something that might take to Europe.
If this is the case, I really do not see an easy way out. It's gonna take at least one year to develop a engine whit this layout.. Welcome back 1988! (the last supercar that ferrari made with twin turbo was the f40 back in the 80's, and nowadays they just presented the california T, neither of them have a v6 under the hood)

EDITED: As regards developing during this championship, i really don't see a whatsoever aerodynamic package putting us in the front row, neither software upgrade or front push rod. the gap is just too huge, memories go back at 2004, 2002, 2011.. but this time is even bigger. Even if we catch a rabbit from the hat (i don't see how whit the current regulation) at summer could definetly be too late
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

bhall
bhall

jonaliew wrote:[...]

I think the Ferrari might already have a split-turbo layout.

Marussia MR03

Yellow: compressor
Green: MGU-H
Blue: turbine (somewhere in there based upon the angle of the exhaust)

If this is true for the MR03, it has to be true for the F14 T, because I'm pretty sure PUs are supplied complete and uniform. Although I could be entirely wrong about the layout anyway.

In any case, it's pretty different from the PR photo shown on their website...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

We can see the air intake go to the back of the engine so I doubt it.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... maruuu.jpg

The yellow circle is just the engine intake from the intercooler.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bhall
bhall

That's valid. I hadn't seen that photo. Thanks.

Frafer
Frafer

bhall wrote:
jonaliew wrote:[...]

I think the Ferrari might already have a split-turbo layout.

http://i.imgur.com/ht57eec.jpg
Marussia MR03

Yellow: compressor
Green: MGU-H
Blue: turbine (somewhere in there based upon the angle of the exhaust)

If this is true for the MR03, it has to be true for the F14 T, because I'm pretty sure PUs are supplied complete and uniform. Although I could be entirely wrong about the layout anyway.

In any case, it's pretty different from the PR photo shown on their website...

http://i.imgur.com/IG7fi0q.png
As far as we know, at the blue circle there is mgu-h with turbo and compressor above it (after some drawings leaked from Ferrari factory after presentation at middle of December)

bhall
bhall

I've seen those drawings. I just have a hard time convincing myself that such a small component is the turbine. But, if it is, it is.

Afterburner

Changing the engine layout won't be a solution, it's just too complicated to change that with all the variables involved (cooling, exaust temperatures, repacking everything, etc), it's just too many things, basically RB used pre-season testing just to get those right!

ringo

bhall wrote:I've seen those drawings. I just have a hard time convincing myself that such a small component is the turbine. But, if it is, it is.
It's just the turbine entry, the turbine is actually a little lower in the gearbox.
For Sure!!

Kansas
Kansas

The whole power unit is rubbish.

Its heavier, less power, couldn;t deliver boost in consistent manner, traction was simply the worst out there.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

First time i see this

Huntresa
Huntresa

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:First time i see this

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/ima ... 8e1gif.gif
Thats from last year...