Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Aaronque
Aaronque

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

markn93 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
markn93 wrote:Don't see it, personally.
Look at the first upper flap, and its connected all the way to the left. On 2nd its either cutout or just pushed down to remove some AoA.

But as said ebfore its prob the same wing from different angles so you cant see the AoA on the first properly.
This. I realised what was meant I just think the differing angles the photos are taken from may be the cause for this.
Yes definitely the same front wing just different upper flap

turbof1

That's teamtalk, guys. The question "can this car win x or y races" doesn't belong here.

I deleted those posts.
#AeroFrodo

JDC123
JDC123

How can one team be so much quicker than the rest? Are Mercedes doing something different with their power unit compared to customer teams, or is it much better aerodynamics? I ask this because although the car looks a well developed chassis across all areas, it doesn't look as though it has huge amounts more downforce than everyone else. Malaysia backed this up as redbull where marginally quicker in sector 2 with is heavily dependent on downforce.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

JDC123 wrote:How can one team be so much quicker than the rest? Are Mercedes doing something different with their power unit compared to customer teams, or is it much better aerodynamics? I ask this because although the car looks a well developed chassis across all areas, it doesn't look as though it has huge amounts more downforce than everyone else. Malaysia backed this up as redbull where marginally quicker in sector 2 with is heavily dependent on downforce.
The cars front is so well designed. Just looks at how different the front suspension is. They have a massive horizontal gap in between the suspension arms if you compare it too cars with a similar suspension like McLaren and RB. Second the Nose and the gap under it seems to suck clean air in more efficient than the other chassis around. Maybe that enables them to get more air to the back at a higher rate wich makes the rear create more downforce. They also seems too have a innovative floor and diffuser.

Its a good thing they have two capable drivers that are very close in pace. Today was epic.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Joie de vivre

the car just has top notch fundament. ok, mercedes engine is the best currently, but FI and Williams show they can be beated. look mclaren for instance, just not there where one would think. maybe they managed to get FRIC to work properly ... and looking at the pace they both shown at the end ... incredible =D> imo its not just the engine but whole package

ACJJ619
ACJJ619

The kind of pace advantage the car has - it simply isn't possible that it's all in the engine. With the amount of pace they have over the others, it would be very clearly visible on the straights.

So far, I'm yet to see a Mercedes rocket off on the straights at a rate that amazes me. Sure they're near the top of the speed traps, but a whole second or two per lap? That would surely be a significant speed advantage.

dans79

ACJJ619 wrote:The kind of pace advantage the car has - it simply isn't possible that it's all in the engine. With the amount of pace they have over the others, it would be very clearly visible on the straights.

So far, I'm yet to see a Mercedes rocket off on the straights at a rate that amazes me. Sure they're near the top of the speed traps, but a whole second or two per lap? That would surely be a significant speed advantage.
We haven't even seen them use 8th gear yet.
201 105 104 9 9 7

RichardF1

Could the advantage be from moving the compressor to the front of the engine? Sky sports F1 we're reporting that moving that away from the turbine means the packaging is smaller in the side pods due to a cooler compressor being away from the turbine, as well as less pipe work, leading to less turbo lag. Cue the poor pun but is that the silver bullet for the silver arrows?
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

myurr
myurr

dans79 wrote:
ACJJ619 wrote:The kind of pace advantage the car has - it simply isn't possible that it's all in the engine. With the amount of pace they have over the others, it would be very clearly visible on the straights.

We haven't even seen them use 8th gear yet.
They're rumoured to be able to hit 260kmph in Monza spec, guessing they'll need 8th gear for that!

myurr
myurr

RichardF1 wrote:Could the advantage be from moving the compressor to the front of the engine? Sky sports F1 we're reporting that moving that away from the turbine means the packaging is smaller in the side pods due to a cooler compressor being away from the turbine, as well as less pipe work, leading to less turbo lag. Cue the poor pun but is that the silver bullet for the silver arrows?
Yes - more power, less lag, lighter weight, smaller intercooler giving better internal air flow, moves weight forward which is a benefit this year. There are a lot of benefits to that relatively simple innovation.

But it's worth acknowledging that the entire car is top of its class in all departments, there's no one silver bullet but equally there's not really any one weakness. It's a beautifully designed and put together race car.

dans79

myurr wrote:
dans79 wrote: We haven't even seen them use 8th gear yet.
They're rumoured to be able to hit 260kmph in Monza spec, guessing they'll need 8th gear for that!
I assume you mean 360?
201 105 104 9 9 7

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
myurr wrote:
dans79 wrote: We haven't even seen them use 8th gear yet.
I assume you mean 360?
Original comment was from rosberg in pre season testing who hinted 360 could be possible in china already, not monza. Imo only in the race with slipstream though. top race speeds in bahrain were 10kmh up on quali.

XRayF1
XRayF1

myurr wrote:
RichardF1 wrote:Could the advantage be from moving the compressor to the front of the engine? Sky sports F1 we're reporting that moving that away from the turbine means the packaging is smaller in the side pods due to a cooler compressor being away from the turbine, as well as less pipe work, leading to less turbo lag. Cue the poor pun but is that the silver bullet for the silver arrows?
Yes - more power, less lag, lighter weight, smaller intercooler giving better internal air flow, moves weight forward which is a benefit this year. There are a lot of benefits to that relatively simple innovation.

But it's worth acknowledging that the entire car is top of its class in all departments, there's no one silver bullet but equally there's not really any one weakness. It's a beautifully designed and put together race car.
Fully with you. However, Ideally I would also like to know why others have not done it the same way.
I mean surely nobody thinks that Renault and Ferrari Engineers may be less capable than the ones in Brixworth.
Very interesting - if anybody knows ...

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

The front end is seriously well designed.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Kiril Varbanov

Emerson.F wrote:The front end is seriously well designed.
http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... 5_nose.jpg
Sorry, nothing against your or the cool graphic (and don't get me wrong) but how is this telling us anything new?
I'd be surprised to see freestream air spillage right before hitting the nose. Those flows are obvious.