Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Re: Ferrari F14T

Frafer wrote: http://i.imgur.com/ht57eec.jpg
Marussia MR03

Yellow: compressor
Green: MGU-H
Blue: turbine (somewhere in there based upon the angle of the exhaust)

If this is true for the MR03, it has to be true for the F14 T, because I'm pretty sure PUs are supplied complete and uniform. Although I could be entirely wrong about the layout anyway.

In any case, it's pretty different from the PR photo shown on their website...

http://i.imgur.com/IG7fi0q.png
As far as we know, at the blue circle there is mgu-h with turbo and compressor above it (after some drawings leaked from Ferrari factory after presentation at middle of December)[/quote]

Looks like the compressor has a blow-off as its connected to the exhaust...?
Can't see clearly, but does that look right to you?
Haven't noticed that on other engine pics (though it's hard to tell with some of the packaging).

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

It's obvious to me the F14 T chassis is fine and that finally, the aerodynamics of the car is fine as well and much better than in previous years. What's more obvious is the PU is currently the worst on the grid and the ERS systems need work. For years Aerodynamics have been the weak link of Ferrari and when they finally get the Aero right, now there's other problems. I'm not sure how much recourse the team have regarding the PU and the ability to make it better during the season. I believe there is time for the team to recover. How much recovery is possible, I'm not sure but I think podiums and wins are possible if the team can get on top of the aforementioned issues.

ppj13
ppj13

Frafer wrote: http://i.imgur.com/ht57eec.jpg
Marussia MR03

Yellow: compressor
Green: MGU-H
Blue: turbine (somewhere in there based upon the angle of the exhaust)

If this is true for the MR03, it has to be true for the F14 T, because I'm pretty sure PUs are supplied complete and uniform. Although I could be entirely wrong about the layout anyway.

In any case, it's pretty different from the PR photo shown on their website...

http://i.imgur.com/IG7fi0q.png
As far as we know, at the blue circle there is mgu-h with turbo and compressor above it (after some drawings leaked from Ferrari factory after presentation at middle of December)
Green circle is the wastegate throttle box, featuring twin throttles one in top of the other, it is very clear in some other photos. Each exhaust manifold, after merging 3 to 1, splits 1 to 2, 1 going to the turbine, the other to each of the wastegate throttle valves.

Why does they have such a big wastegate, I don't know. I have some theories, though.

alexx_88
alexx_88

I agree that the aero is fine this year (finally), but I would credit that to the ban on the use of exhaust gases to seal the diffuser, rather than a big increase in quality from Ferrari's aero department.

The solution that Mercedes proposes for the compressor-turbine layout seems a no-brainer in terms of advantages and probably Ferrari considered it as well in their design phase. What are the main challenges in implementing it? A friend of mine mentioned the balancing of the shaft linking them together, but surely they could've found a solution to that, or not?

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

It seems to me that their biggest problem is the software to manage the energy capture and release. How free are they to update that during the season? If it is unrestricted then I would expect them to close the gap. However it also seems their engine is the weakest of the three so that will then become the dominant deficiency.

SpecialCircumstances
SpecialCircumstances

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: but I think podiums and wins are possible if the team can get on top of the aforementioned issues.
Well that is kind of a big if seeing how the very problem for Ferrari is that it is increasingly sounding like that getting on top of the PU issues (this year) may not even be possible(let alone probable).

alexx_88
alexx_88

I don't know of any good information about why or if they don't use their ERS system to full capacity. Analyzing the ERS / lap graphics from yesterday could tell us if they are able to scavenge and then use the full 4 MJ of energy permitted to be discharged from the battery to the MGU-K in a lap. From that point on, only time will tell us if it's a hardware problem, a control problem (they simply can't control the MGU-H to a sufficient precision to scavenge the extra energy) or a simple software tuning problem that will maybe be fixed during the season. Or a variation of these.

I'd imagine that solving the above will only make them get 100% out of the current design, but I don't see these tweaks as being able to close the big gap that is to Mercedes. Not to mention that the Merc's PU has probably some untapped resources.

mcalex
mcalex

Judging by onboard videos the real problem Ferrari has is how the power from PU is delivered to the rear wheels.
They had enormous Wheel spin almost every corner which destroys the rear tyres very quickly hence no traction out of the corners and low speed down the straight.
If that can be somewhat fixed by optimizing ERS/PU output then I think they'll do OK. But WDC and WCC I'm afraid they can forget.
Mercedes engine is too good regardless of everything else - no one even Red Bull can overtake them - match yes overtake NO.

Postmoe

mcalex wrote:Judging by onboard videos the real problem Ferrari has is how the power from PU is delivered to the rear wheels.
They had enormous Wheel spin almost every corner which destroys the rear tyres very quickly hence no traction out of the corners and low speed down the straight.
If that can be somewhat fixed by optimizing ERS/PU output then I think they'll do OK. But WDC and WCC I'm afraid they can forget.
Mercedes engine is too good regardless of everything else - no one even Red Bull can overtake them - match yes overtake NO.
Yes, judging from what we could see onboard outboard, the problem is related to MASSIVE whellspin. The car does not give any confidence in this area.

I suspect there is more than that in Bahrein, probably they didn't understand the compounds too, but this really high tendency to wheelspin is for me the most obvious issue for the car.

MB put 20 seconds in 5 laps after the SC to all other Mercedez Powered teams. It's not something solely related to raw power.

Afterburner

Don't be deceived, Ferraris aero is better but miles away from RedBull, some way down Mercedes and a little bit behind Lotus.

They need to work in every department to make this car better, aero obviously, mechanical to get more traction because they lack there too, and finally make huge progress on the engine + PU, Marmorini it's not the right guy to this turbo engines IMO.

Postmoe

Afterburner wrote:Don't be deceived, Ferraris aero is better but miles away from RedBull, some way down Mercedes and a little bit behind Lotus.

They need to work in every department to make this car better, aero obviously, mechanical to get more traction because they lack there too, and finally make huge progress on the engine + PU, Marmorini it's not the right guy to this turbo engines IMO.

We don't have proof backing those statements. May be right, may be wrong.

mcalex
mcalex

To be better than Mercedes RB or Ferrari tec. must be way superior than them in aero department because this year no one can match their PU performance.
As much as I want Kimi to win I'm afraid this year looks not so good ...

jonaliew
jonaliew

People, please stick to the comments about the technical characteristics of the car. Not about how you feel about the F14T and the team's chances of wining.

I wonder whether the lack of power in the PU is software related like red bull's issue in testing or have they not overcome a way to run 100% power due to the worry that they will burn more fuel then expected? Or could it be component optimisation and delivery of the power to the unit that is affecting the F14T overall performance.

Afterburner

Postmoe wrote:

We don't have proof backing those statements. May be right, may be wrong.
The results don't count?

It's more than obvious they lack a bit everywhere and a big bit on the PU side.

Afterburner

jonaliew wrote:People, please stick to the comments about the technical characteristics of the car. Not about how you feel about the F14T and the team's chances of wining.

I wonder whether the lack of power in the PU is software related like red bull's issue in testing or have they not overcome a way to run 100% power due to the worry that they will burn more fuel then expected? Or could it be component optimisation and delivery of the power to the unit that is affecting the F14T overall performance.
About power delivery, and from what i see on videos, Ferrari is struggling big on traction, this may be mechanical (wich i doubt) or PU doesn't deliver correctly and uniform it's energy.

Besides i think the mapping isn't very driver friendly, if what we saw on the onboard videos is correct, they have too much power on the first 50% on throttle pedal and for that becomes really hard the drivers apply all the power correctly, if this is true they may opted to cut some power to make the car more drivable.