Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Ferrari F14T

Iteresting. Did Ferrari played with that white cover inside hub. Qusetion:

Was that somesort differnt nozzle or was the plug? Your thoughts. May take is on rapid protoyped nozlle.

Look this pic from morning:

http://i.imgur.com/h7zVfJo.jpg

Midseason test 1, Bahrein, Day 1

source of unmarked pics are from AMUS
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

FrukostScones

the "blown" wheelnut look like the Williams design, AFAIR they did more harm than good
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

muelte
muelte

.poz
.poz

aleks_ader wrote: But if i remember well FIA just mandated nut secure system.
FIA 2013/14 tech rulebook; section 14.7 Wheel retention : wrote: All cars, whilst under their own power, must be fitted with devices which will retain the wheel fastener in the event of it coming loose

Maybe the black T shaped part is the nut secure system

You can spot the head of another "T" below and in another image you can see there are three of them
Last edited by .poz on 08 Apr 2014, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

muelte
muelte

Via @piusgasso

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Hey if your going blow the axles those scoops should give you more then enough air to work with.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Sorry I ignored the whole thing when Williams tried it, but is it really that helpful?

I mean they need bigger break inlets(+their weight), that routing inside so it doesn't turn with the wheel to comply with rules, this is also all unsprung mass...

Isn't the drag penalty of the bigger inlets equalizing any potential drag benefit by blowing out of the wheelnut?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ganxxta wrote:Sorry I ignored the whole thing when Williams tried it, but is it really that helpful?

I mean they need bigger break inlets(+their weight), that routing inside so it doesn't turn with the wheel to comply with rules, this is also all unsprung mass...

Isn't the drag penalty of the bigger inlets equalizing any potential drag benefit by blowing out of the wheelnut?
It should be more beneficial this year as it can help with the outwash front wing, and given that's harder to achieve with the narrower front wings, someone obviously thought it was worth testing.

Writinglife
Writinglife

Just hope a mechanic doesn't leave the blanking cap on during a race. Potential for losing them is high I guess, and might cause a bit of a kerfuffle with the FIA.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain Testing - Day 2 (09.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

I've moved the posts about Kimi's damaged car over to the Team Thread. If somebody posts a picture of the failed part and wants to discuss it technically (Wow! look at those carbon fiber plies splintered in shear!) as a part of the car, OK, but just a general comment about a failure without a technical discussion is better off in the Team thread.

Back to the unholey hubs/wheelnut again & the massive brake ducts have gone.

timbo
timbo

avatar wrote:Back to the unholey hubs/wheelnut again & the massive brake ducts have gone.
unholy))

Apparently bigger ducts are used to generate more airflow thru the open hub/wheelnut.

Froggolo
Froggolo

i am very saddened by the non-updates they brought in these testing days,
very very small attempts to gain... thousandths of a second?

hollow wheel nuts, bigger brake air intakes, tested in day 1, removed in day 2

then, applying flow-viz to show what? the car is slow, they could save money on flow-viz
and use it to buy carbon fiber to mould new parts.

It seems the only successful update is the "blowing leaves" device used to cool radiators
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

JDC123
JDC123

Why was it williams removed their blown wheel nuts last year? Was it because they never got it to work effectively on track and spent to much time attempting to get it to work?