Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
fawe4
fawe4

Re: Ferrari F14T

Froggolo wrote:i am very saddened by the non-updates they brought in these testing days,
very very small attempts to gain... thousandths of a second?

hollow wheel nuts, bigger brake air intakes, tested in day 1, removed in day 2

then, applying flow-viz to show what? the car is slow, they could save money on flow-viz
and use it to buy carbon fiber to mould new parts.

It seems the only successful update is the "blowing leaves" device used to cool radiators
At this point I think Ferrari aren't even close to the big spenders. They must have quietly cut their budget somewhere in the middle of the last season as theirs visual updates became sparse and rare. f14t is also just an evolution, but that doesn't mean the car is bad and completely off the track. Malaysia showed quite well that when engine performance isn't a huge factor they are among the top three teams, so their core aerodynamic package works. They can improve on it, but at the same time they would be increasing drag, and that may not be the best idea when you consider their own main problems.

New aero rules also don't allow much, so I bet that they are putting all their effort into the section where they can gain a lot. And that, unfortunately for most of us here, is under the body, engine and ers systems.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Froggolo wrote:i am very saddened by the non-updates they brought in these testing days,
very very small attempts to gain... thousandths of a second?

hollow wheel nuts, bigger brake air intakes, tested in day 1, removed in day 2

then, applying flow-viz to show what? the car is slow, they could save money on flow-viz
and use it to buy carbon fiber to mould new parts.

It seems the only successful update is the "blowing leaves" device used to cool radiators
I didn't expect to see any updates over the last two days. I would have been disappointed if they did. Like any smart team who is behind, they need to keep working and use all available time before China to churn out updates. If I'm not mistaken Merc nor MaCa didn't bring updates, instead like Ferrari they were aero mapping the cars.

Whats more important than testing new parts that fans can see, would be for Ferrari to be testing and working on ERS and getting it optimized. Right now that is more important than seeing a new FW or RW or any other updates. I think it's fair to say the Aerodynamics of the F14T is not it's weakest link and the PU is. Regarding the PU, the ERS systems and their implementation is Ferrari's weakest link so hopefully that's what they were working on the most, which is not something fans would be able to tell. I feel there will be updates to the car in China that are visible and I'm not mad the team didn't bring them to Bahrain.

aleks_ader

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Ferrari they were aero mapping the cars.

Whats more important than testing new parts that fans can see, would be for Ferrari to be testing and working on ERS and getting it optimized. Right now that is more important than seeing a new FW or RW or any other updates. I think it's fair to say the Aerodynamics of the F14T is not it's weakest link and the PU is. Regarding the PU, the ERS systems and their implementation is Ferrari's weakest link so hopefully that's what they were working on the most, which is not something fans would be able to tell. I feel there will be updates to the car in China that are visible and I'm not mad the team didn't bring them to Bahrain.
Yes as we could see from preseason Ferrari go step by step to try find root of the aero problems witch were obvious in last years.

The F14T development goes from pretty decent and straightforward design toward more and more complex refinements. It is noticeable that arrival of Lotus guys (Belgian AERO engineer and Allison) takes immediate effect on Ferrari approach toward AERO development and problem solving. There is no magic trick just methodically and calm work is right way for future F14T ancestors success.

Front wing example:
http://formula1techandart.files.wordpre ... =290&h=400
http://formula1techandart.files.wordpre ... =356&h=400

Make gains in F1 are hard, even harder is to make gains compare other very talented people around paddock.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

About blowing wheel nut, there is just ITA article + PICS:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ffianti%2F

It says nothing new just what caught my eye is that "Mclaren" does experiment with that also? I dont know that, if some one had info (picture, WWW source) please PM me.

Anyway i gathered my impressions about that "blowing nut" trick 1 year ago. If some one want look or comment please.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 04#p429704
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

idfx

I have some doubts
The regulation allows you to: change the location of the turbo?
Parts: engine, ERS, PU etc. .. can be changed subject to the rules?
May have more of a dynamo ? 2,3 ?
can be used an electric turbo?
More Cooling, help improve performance? -35 C.
Thanks
----------

diffuser

I didn't expect to see any updates over the last two days. I would have been disappointed if they did. Like any smart team who is behind, they need to keep working and use all available time before China to churn out updates. If I'm not mistaken Merc nor MaCa didn't bring updates, instead like Ferrari they were aero mapping the cars.

Whats more important than testing new parts that fans can see, would be for Ferrari to be testing and working on ERS and getting it optimized. Right now that is more important than seeing a new FW or RW or any other updates. I think it's fair to say the Aerodynamics of the F14T is not it's weakest link and the PU is. Regarding the PU, the ERS systems and their implementation is Ferrari's weakest link so hopefully that's what they were working on the most, which is not something fans would be able to tell. I feel there will be updates to the car in China that are visible and I'm not mad the team didn't bring them to Bahrain.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, the PU is lacking in power and is hard to drive. The power doesn't seem to come on smoothly.... I'm not sure if it is turbo lag or just the power just kicking in and out for whatever reason but you could see both kimi and Alonzo losing the back end at times.

Kansas
Kansas

notice Ferrari and renault 's eletrical motors are outsourced to magneti.

While merc built their own.

Juzh

Kansas wrote:notice Ferrari and renault 's eletrical motors are outsourced to magneti.

Are you sure about the renault? Source?

Kansas
Kansas

Juzh wrote:
Kansas wrote:notice Ferrari and renault 's eletrical motors are outsourced to magneti.

Are you sure about the renault? Source?
Quite sure on renault albeit not able to find the source.

But redbull reportedly changed their alternator supplier to Tag. Might explain why the other renault customers are suffering much more than rbr and torro rosso.

tim wood@Austin_F1
Anyone out there know if @MercedesAMGF1 uses Magneti Marelli hardware for its MGU-H? @ScarbsF1 @tgruener #F1

Craig Scarborough @ScarbsF1
@Austin_F1 @MercedesAMGF1 @tgruener no. It's in house developed with input from zytek

windwaves
windwaves

diffuser wrote:I didn't expect to see any updates over the last two days. I would have been disappointed if they did. Like any smart team who is behind, they need to keep working and use all available time before China to churn out updates. If I'm not mistaken Merc nor MaCa didn't bring updates, instead like Ferrari they were aero mapping the cars.

I couldn't agree more, the PU is lacking in power and is hard to drive. The power doesn't seem to come on smoothly.... I'm not sure if it is turbo lag or just the power just kicking in and out for whatever reason but you could see both kimi and Alonzo losing the back end at times.[/quote]

I could not agree less, sorry.

Ferrari is facing a plethora of problems as members of the team, from drivers to SD to LdM, have stated on several occasions for weeks now. We just face the same old huge problems of the past few years and on top of that a PU we simply do not understand and that was evidently very poorly conceived as well as various other new problems. Traction, corner entry, corner exit, top speed, break, acceleration, deceleration, consumption, tyre usage. Please.

On the other hand the PU disaster per se is just a total embarrassment for Ferrari, but fine, crap happens, another year of disappointment ok. My issue is, I do not think as much as I try that there is hope this year and I wish Ferrari acted accordingly, i.e. scratch the year start an entirely new project. But if they don't do that may be they have reason to believe the situation is not so bad. Let's hope so.

.poz
.poz

windwaves wrote: Ferrari is facing a plethora of problems as members of the team, from drivers to SD to LdM, have stated on several occasions for weeks now. We just face the same old huge problems of the past few years and on top of that a PU we simply do not understand and that was evidently very poorly conceived as well as various other new problems. Traction, corner entry, corner exit, top speed, break, acceleration, deceleration, consumption, tyre usage.
Almost all the problem you have listed can be (and probably are) connected with the PU or the brake by wire/energy harvesting. Just look at the packaging: Ferrari PU looks like a very advanced prototype, with some cable here and there, Merc one something ready for limited production.

They must work on:
power harvesting, imho most of the Merc advantage is here
PU power erogation
ES, probably their "power loss" is just the PU activating some safe mode to save an overheated ES
PU packaging and weight. They talked about 5kg just from cables optimization before season start

Then yes, they probably have the the third best chassis behind RB and Merc and probably they have the old Ferrari slow corner exits traction problem but fixing that will give you 2-3 tenths, fixing the PU 1-1,5 seconds

Frafer
Frafer

.poz wrote:
windwaves wrote: Ferrari is facing a plethora of problems as members of the team, from drivers to SD to LdM, have stated on several occasions for weeks now. We just face the same old huge problems of the past few years and on top of that a PU we simply do not understand and that was evidently very poorly conceived as well as various other new problems. Traction, corner entry, corner exit, top speed, break, acceleration, deceleration, consumption, tyre usage.
Almost all the problem you have listed can be (and probably are) connected with the PU or the brake by wire/energy harvesting. Just look at the packaging: Ferrari PU looks like a very advanced prototype, with some cable here and there, Merc one something ready for limited production.

They must work on:
PU power erogation
ES, probably their "power loss" is just the PU activating some safe mode to save an overheated ES
PU packaging and weight. They talked about 5kg just from cables optimization before season start

Then yes, they probably have the the third best chassis behind RB and Merc and probably they have the old Ferrari slow corner exits traction problem but fixing that will give you 2-3 tenths, fixing the PU 1-1,5 seconds
The main problem is therefore clear: as in the previous years the focus on developed was more on less only on aero side, now they have to change attitude and make radical changes on PU and all its surroundings. Can they have this sort out, within rules and within structrual limits of SF (the project for 2015 is already started on PU and chassis point of view)? Inside the answer of this question there is the possibility (or not) to fight for at least one victory this year.
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

kaido
kaido

Frafer wrote:
.poz wrote:

They must work on:
PU power erogation

The main problem is therefore clear: as in the previous years the focus on developed was more on less only on aero side, now they have to change attitude and make radical changes on PU and all its surroundings. Can they have this sort out, within rules and within structrual limits of SF (the project for 2015 is already started on PU and chassis point of view)? Inside the answer of this question there is the possibility (or not) to fight for at least one victory this year.

The PU is frozen till the end of the season, therefore they are limited with what they can do "hardware" wise, then can only focus of "software" . They also can not shift all development to the PU, Look at Redbull they are lacking in the "PU" side but have one of the best, if not the best chassis on the grid. Aero is very important and because of the many years ferrari has lacked in this department i think they need to continue there high focus in this area

alexx_88
alexx_88

It may come out as a little harsh, but their whole story over the winter testing was that they wanted to get good grips on the new PU. I'd say, after seeing them during the last years, that either the technical side is severely badly managed or that their budget has decreased to that of a midfield team.

They knew several years ago what they needed to build, it's either bad technical management or lack of money.

Frafer
Frafer

kaido wrote: The PU is frozen till the end of the season, therefore they are limited with what they can do "hardware" wise, then can only focus of "software" . They also can not shift all development to the PU, Look at Redbull they are lacking in the "PU" side but have one of the best, if not the best chassis on the grid. Aero is very important and because of the many years ferrari has lacked in this department i think they need to continue there high focus in this area
Ok,but if we are down 2 seconds on pace (at least in Bahrain) , how can they imagine to reduce such a gap only by improving areo? Mercedes isn't going to stay still waiting for us, and i do not see such a big window in the aero rules to gain one second and half ( for instance after the exploit of Coanda effect and its develop on 2012, F138 remained more or less the same from Spain to Brazil last year). I don't wanna imagine what is going on under the roof of SF right now, some of the crew were looking forward to forget last season, but this is gonna be worst.
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter