Ferrari cam

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
keyser
keyser

Ferrari cam

Hi!
I've seen some parts of a few years old Ferrari F1 engine yesterday. Unfortunately the cylinder head was assembled so I couldnt see whats inside but i saw the camshaft and there are some things I really dont understand. The lobes were conical and I know this is because the variable valve timing (the cam moves a few milimeters paralell to its axis- the standard Ferrari cam timing system) but!:the conics were growing narrof in the opposte direction. Maybe its not clear enough, I will try to send an image too.
So does anybody have an idea how is it working?
Thanks
Andras

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Try posting a picture......since I've had a solid mechanics test a few days back...my guess would be it has something to do with the rigity of the part......but it depends on the direction of the cones....

West
West

Well, if the cam lobe seems to be "shrinking" then it is for a smaller lift for higher RPM ranges
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

This is not veriable valve timeing I'm afraid, it is for so called radial valves. The valves are angled towords each other to make a more hemipherical combustion chamber. MV Augusta use the same method on their F4 engine.

Ferrari use the conical Camshaft also in their roadcars (for example F355)
marcush.

keyser
keyser

I was unale to find an image of the camshaft. I realized that it cannot be the standard ferrari vvt- maybe there is a sliding triangle shaped part on the top of the valves.
The valves are so large and they are close to each other, so their axis must be paralell. Maybe they are trying to reduce the contact pressure (or Hertz stiffness , sorry i dont know the english terminology) or a strange valve rotating system.

Reca
Reca

keyser wrote: The valves are so large and they are close to each other, so their axis must be paralell
The angle between each pair of valves is just few degrees, it was 6° in the Ferrari 049, the 2000 engine (25° was the angle between intake and exhaust valves), a minimum distance between the valves, when closed, of 3-4 mm is enough to avoid the collision.