Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scuderiafan

Re: Ferrari F14T

What's the point of having separated by a few inches? As I understand it, Mercedes split their turbo's for better heat management.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

miket
miket

The turbo above is water cooled.
So I don't think that Merc did the separation for heat reasons - I think they did it for piping and routing reasons to keep piping as short as possible.
The reason for placing the MGU-H between the compressor and turbine housing, I think has more to do with airflow, if you place it on the compressor side, there is a shaft in the way of the incoming airflow.
I don't think there is a huge temperature gain by placing it any further, the compressor would heat naturally due to the high compression (4.5 bar I believe) - and it would be cancelled out with a good and efficient inter-cooler ( as we are lead to believe is fitted to the ferrari).
One area where I do think merc has something is the manifold - they use a log type manifold on the turbo, so it enhances turbo response - where ferrari has gone with a branch style, so ultimate power if favored over responce.

ringo

I don't think there is a vibration issue at all.
For Sure!!

atlantis
atlantis

"Pance troppo strette il “male” della Ferrari" ("Sidepods too narrow are Ferrari's problem")
http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it ... ari/15187/

Apparently for Autosprint magazine the small size of the sidepods is one of biggest problems for Ferrari: they are too small and narrow and in their view cannot generate enough downforce.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

atlantis wrote:"Pance troppo strette il “male” della Ferrari" ("Sidepods too narrow are Ferrari's problem")

Apparently for Autosprint magazine the small size of the sidepods is one of biggest problems for Ferrari: they are too small and narrow and in their view cannot generate enough downforce.
I don't believe downforce is Ferraris main issue right now, if it was, they would have already used the monkey seat to generate every extra bit of downforce that is possible.

Downforce comes always with drag, unless its generated by the diffuser, so larger sidepods = more drag, and Ferrari is already miles behind Mercedes regarding power and power delivery.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ganxxta wrote:
atlantis wrote:"Pance troppo strette il “male” della Ferrari" ("Sidepods too narrow are Ferrari's problem")

I don't believe downforce is Ferraris main issue right now, if it was, they would have already used the monkey seat to generate every extra bit of downforce that is possible.

Downforce comes always with drag, unless its generated by the diffuser, so larger sidepods = more drag, and Ferrari is already miles behind Mercedes regarding power and power delivery.
Atlantis: The top of sidepods actually creates lift. NOT downforce. As the air passes over the top of the sidepod it speeds up over the "ridge" this reduces pressure and creates a lifting force. What they could be saying is that the sidepods are two small to allow enough airflow through them for cooling. That or something similar. Teams would have no sidepods at all if they were able to.

Ganxxta: an increase in downforce by the diffuser is also accompanied by an increase in drag. It is just less than that created by the wings because they are such low aspect ratio.

diffuser

yeah, I'm not buying it for a minute.

atlantis
atlantis

I'm not buying it either, it was a rough but term-correct translation of Autosprint article :)

.poz
.poz

trinidefender wrote: Atlantis: The top of sidepods actually creates lift. NOT downforce. As the air passes over the top of the sidepod it speeds up over the "ridge" this reduces pressure and creates a lifting force.
I suppose that the problem is in how air passing above and around sidepods goes to the rear of the car.

Look at this picture: Ferrari sidepods design in the zone of the UPS logo and behind is quite particular. Almost all other cars have a sort of "channel" between the upper part of the sidepod and the floor, with a bulge in the sidepod to separate the air running above the sidepod form the air running above the floor.

diffuser

The fact that they have this bracket around the front edge of the sidepods. Makes me think that they've looked at this very closely.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlrbTEnIYAAflIq.jpg

aleks_ader

That sidepod was very RB-ish from 2009-2013 cars. That huge downwash type sidepod was its distictive features. I doubt that is a problem there at all. It is just a another "news"...

The sector times and Ferrari PR statemens indicates that AERO is... suprise supriese one of most development features ot that "F14t".

The whole concept of shape of the car is just different form rest of the grid and that dont mean they do something wrong.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bhall
bhall

The only potential area of concern I see with the sidepods is their height relative to others and how that contributes to the car's frontal area. It may not seem like much, but even small differences in frontal area can have a real effect on drag. Removing frontal area is a bit like engaging DRS.

shelly
shelly

I do not think that frontal area has this relevance on drag
twitter: @armchair_aero

konstantin
konstantin

Spain GP.Old wing, but interesting view at PU

from http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de

someone made comparison with new and old brake ducts

via @emmepi27